Nostalgic Moment

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
The fortieth anniversary of the Woodstock festival is this weekend.

I was too young to go (having just graduated from 8th grade), but I recall that the rock-radio stations here in the Northeast were alive with chatter about the event. I was engaged in a more personally life-changing event of my own because...

It's also the fortieth anniversary of the arrival in the mail of my Bensen B-8 gyroglider plans. I had collected a few little parts before the plans even arrived, but opening that box was like unearthing pirate treasure. The intricacies of the mysterious Spindle Control Head overwhelmed my adolescent brain as those radio stations droned on about the music bash in upstate NY.

A long, strange trip indeed.

Attachments

• g-gliding.JPG
    g-gliding.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
  • g-gliding4.JPG
    g-gliding4.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Eyes wide open!!!

Very cool Doug.

Great Pictures Doug.

I have seen that expression.

How long was it from the time you received the plans to attaining that altitude?

How did you earn enough money for an aircraft at that tender age?

How old was the person driving the tow car?

How did you communicate with the driver?

Thank you, Vance

That first picture looks like the guy was wondering "What am I doing for crying-out-loud!" Thw second says "It's all good."

Did you buy or make the head and blades and how old were you when you first flew it?

8th grade Doug come on now that would mean we are about the same age, woodstock was from 15 - 18 Aug 1969. I am so much prittyer than you so you have to be like 74 75 now. LOL

Hey Doug...
one of the members of Chapter-17 here in MN. still flies those overhead sticks....on all of his FIVE machines..!
He's our senior member and also the first Minne-sno-ton to assemble and fly a Bensen kit (I'm told). Flying 'em since 59'

He's 90 Y.O. and as spry as a young 70 Y.O.
The guy is fantastic, warm, helpful and a lot of fun.
Seeing that overhead stick in your photos made me think of him...he just loves those overheads.

Doug----you about as old as dirt like I am. I was a freshman in High School and my first flying days werent to happen until 14 years later.

Thanks for posting....and by the way.....will we be blessed with your appearance at Bensen Days next year?

Stan

Doug, was that metal or wooden rotors. You were a handsome Kid, What happened?

Doug, I didn't know you were just a kid. I was in upstate New York, kinda got side tracked that week-end, I'll let you guess why. Your pictures are absolutely great.

Russ

Your age is showing Doug . And so is mine. Look way way up to find Canada and I can assure you we also got all the Woodstock news of the day. I was a dumb kid feeling I was missing out on something because I would not be there. Now I am glad I did not make it to Woodstock.

It was a big cloud of marijuana smoke and young minds inhaling deep. Not you Doug, looks like you were inhaling the exhaust of the tow vehicle for your Bensen. You got high in a better way. That is my opinion anyway. I got high breathing the spray fumes of the first car I ever painted. Actually I did not get high. I was sick for three days. After that I bought a good charcoal mask and painted for another 23 years. Trying to earn enough to go flying. I ended up getting real high in a Bell 47. I am talking altitude. Well , OK , I have only been to 8000 feet. Seemed high to me.

Love your nostalgia post Doug. Thank you. Brings back memories of all the things I missed out on. I don't mind much , all my friends who made it to Woodstock are dead or have fried brains. I still breath deep and fly. Without Mexican garden ingredients.

Life is good. I hope it is for you too Doug. You have started out with a good story line here Doug. Please take this opportunity to dig up all your old photos and recollections and share them with us. A lot of missing years from your first Bensen tow to today. We are all ears. Eyes too , if you can find the pictures.

Many thanks
Arnie Madsen

There's a lot of spirit in those two pictures. You probably got the same kind of feeling as some did being at Woodstock.

-- Chris.