River Over A River

Don't worry about it, just forget it!
Besides, think of the benefits, you can enjoy the same book over and over again! :p
I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't joke about such things. :sad:

You know Pete....this is unfortunate, but darn-it I already do read the same......something..........

OK, Paul you're right. I was assuming there was a lock before and after the bridge. I know bridges with a lock but haven't seen one yet where the river is freely flowing across the bridge.

Just to be absolutely clear: if the water displaced by the boat on the bridge is allowed to flow off the bridge (either over the sides or up-/downstream) then the bridge will not feel an increase in weight.

-- Chris.

This piece of amazing engineering might help to explain displacement.

http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/

I could probably have thought of a better use for all that cash but I must admit as an Engineer I think it is an amazing thing.

Do You know that they need only an approx. 50 HP-Motor to turn the wheel ? Just to overcome the friction in the system. Amazing..........

BTW: transport on water is the most energy efficient way to transport heavy loads (downstream ;-)) ). In Europe exists a channel-net reaching from the north sea down to Nice in France (not for main transport yet)