Fuel lines and connectors

Just had a conversation with a Mr Endsley at Lockwood about fuel tubing. Mentioned primer. He seemed to think that unless I was flying somewhere cold it simply wasn't needed. Florida and Kenya are neither of them anywhere near cold enough to warrant it was his advice. That will save me some money.

Bad news was the fuel tubing is supposed to 1/4'' ID not ED! B***er.

When we raised our seat the stick had to be re-designed and re-welded. Just got the bill. Lets just say that stick might as well be gold plated and it had better darn well fit. Should have it back this afternoon after 4pm.

Yes a small survival kit and a couple of spares and tools would not be a bad idea in Kenya. Some of the countryside round my place down there is pretty wild.

Just had a conversation with a Mr Endsley at Lockwood about fuel tubing. Mentioned primer. He seemed to think that unless I was flying somewhere cold it simply wasn't needed. Florida and Kenya are neither of them anywhere near cold enough to warrant it was his advice. That will save me some money.

Bad news was the fuel tubing is supposed to 1/4'' ID not ED! B***er.

When we raised our seat the stick had to be re-designed and re-welded. Just got the bill. Lets just say that stick might as well be gold plated and it had better darn well fit. Should have it back this afternoon after 4pm.

Yes a small survival kit and a couple of spares and tools would not be a bad idea in Kenya. Some of the countryside round my place down there is pretty wild.

You will need either a choke or a primer to start the engine, no matter how hot it is outside.

Most people do not hook up the chokes, as you would need to sort out cables and a splitter and a lever of some sort etc.... The primer is simplier and more effective.

No choke and no primer and you will not get the engine to start cold ( even when it is 100 degrees outside ) Don't know why lockwood would tell you otherwise, most of those guys there are smarter than that

This primer is a great addition, I use mine regularly and am glad I bought it!

Ron I wondered the same thing (but no experience), unless they are holding there hand over the intake? Poor man's choke when we were kids.

Sorry to have confused, this is with chokes.

No John, just the 'Armstrong' starter. can remember my Uncle spilling fuel into an intake to try and start some type of engine.

Still fighting the weight battle even though I fear we will be over the limit.

May be writing to Tom and asking him what he needs for an inspection, if we think we will get it done in time for him coming down.

Spent the day working on the footplate and back rest. I guess my upholstering work sucks. Still seems like a lot to do but it is coming on. Stick cam back looks great but the alteration were a little costly.

Next on the list is the Dynafocal mount, and wondering how to bend 6010T6.

Lockwood order!

Lockwood order!

Well I got my items form Lockwood and lets say I was not pleased at all when I looked at the invoice. The primer kit I got was $26.95 in the book it is $19.95 this is why I got it there. also I ordered 19' of bike brake cable and I got 10' My gyro is 9' front to back also the black casing didn't have any cable inside. so I will call Monday! I was going to use the bike type cable for the rudder cables. :puke:

I like Lockwood for their service dept. But ordering parts there over the last couple years has been not so good, missing items, parts on back order and they didn't mention it when I ordered, prices higher than I expected, order not being shipped out by them in a timely manner, etc...

I try to order most of my stuff from Aircraft Spruce, as they confirm that they have the stuff in stock and confirm price, right over the phone as I order. They also ship out on the same day and being only a state away, I get it the next day or the day after.

I also order some ultralight specific stuff from LEAF with good results as well.

If I order from Lockwood anymore I make sure we confirm that the girl has placed her hand on the part ( if I need it asap and to make sure they have it ) and that a price is quoted at the time the order is placed.

Also try calling Ernie at Rotor Flight Dynamics, you can order brake cable in any lengths from him at reasonable pricing.

GyroRon :
I asked to girl at Lockwood to please give me the disc. of the part as I ordered it so I knew it was the right parts.
Who sells 1/2 of a throttle handle.........:sorry: I am stupid!

Oh well that is the last order at Lockwood's for me!

I will have to check them out.........http://www.rotorflightdynamicsinc.com/

Where to put it!

Where to put it!

Since I got an order in yesterday I went to work today on getting one step closer to the start up. I am shooting for next weekend. if I can get my muffler mounting kit here.

I can't decide where to put the primer.
"On the console or make a bracket under the motor support bracket"

I thinking console back by the toggle switches, but I would have a lot of fuel line to have to hang up.
Bracket is close to motor and under motor less line.
Picture 1 : Primer pump
Picture 2 : fuel filter location

Attachments

• IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Either location for the primer will work. Easier to put it in the back of the throttle quadrant console

Primer

Primer

I thought about that just all that gas lines but at least it will be handy! :first:

Here's where I put my fuel primer. I added a master ignition cutoff switch also since I'm standing on this side when I start the gyro.

Attachments

• IMG_1861s.JPG
    IMG_1861s.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 1
Tim, Like your color coded fuel lines. Is that special fuel line or simply diff colored line to make it easier to see where the various lines go to?

Timchick : I was thinking about the same type of thing. But I got the Idea from Tim but don't tell him. I don't know I like the console placement too!

Resasi : A/S I believe has the color as I posted the other night for you! Lockwoods kit comes with clear hose:puke:

Bear in mind, once you start the engine, you will likely have to pump the primer several more times to keep it running. So mount it in a place where you feel pumping it would be easiest and safest.

The blue fuel line... Don't mess with it. It is good stuff, but turns into a ugly shade of green and it gets rock hard in less than a years time. The clear stuff lasts longer

GyroRon : Day late! Well I have the Blue line but I can use the clear when it need to be changed.
The golf carts I work on had the same problems they used the yellow after a year it wasn't so flex. anymore!
Had to change it out to the reg. fuel line.

Got the clear with the primer. they sent just enough hose to make my runs with no mistakes.

To much throttle!

To much throttle!

Tuning the quad for Idle and full throttle :
I have to much throttle when I am at full throttle 6700 rpm the handle is only half way to full! NO GOOD more chances of over RPM to the motor.

Few pointer please!