I am offended that your offended.

I think Ron's issue was not that some people found his post racist, but that he was under the impression that they had gone crying to mommy (Momma Gyromike, anyway), which he took as a lack of cojones. Turns out Gyromike deleted it on his own, so I guess Ron's only issue is with Mike : )

On a broader note, the biggest selling Comedian on the planet, Jeff Foxworthy, a Southern Caucasian, makes a living making fun of Southern Caucasians, and his CDs are bought almost exclusively by Caucasians, mostly southern. Meanwhile, Chris Rock, voted last year as the funniest man in America, gets paid by black people for making fun of black people. Both are wildly popular in their genres, but we all know how upset southerners would be if Rock started telling redneck jokes, and Yaweh help Foxworthy, or any Caucasian, if he dared to tell a black joke. What it boils down to is this:

A joke is not offensive unless somebody is offended.

It's like the Sexual Harassment craze a few years back, when suddenly everybody decided it was a Bad Thing, and started suing based upon accusations. There was no definition; if a woman said she "felt" like she was being harassed, that was taken as prima facie evidence that she had in fact been harassed, just like the Salem Witch Trials. If you were accused, you were obviously guilty. Fortunately, since then, some guidelines have been set up. UNfortunately, guidelines for humor can't be set up.

Tina, I know you're a good person with a good heart & good motivations, and Doug, there's probably nobody on the forum & darn few people anywhere I respect more than you (Kevin & Stan come close), but I've got to disagree with you. Calling names & perpetuating stereotypes are a societal ill that needs to be cured, but it's a social issue that requires a social solution. You cannot punish or sanction a person who has not ACTUALLY done wrong. And I'm not talking about subjective emotional issues like a feeling of harassment or an indication of discrimination. If a guy comes to work in a white robe with a pointy hood, or spends his cofee break loudly declaring his opinion that women should be kept barefoot & pregnant, those are louts and should be treated as such, but until they actually engage in discrimination, they are free do do whatever they want to. You cannot punish a person based upon what they MIGHT do, only upon what they ACTUALLY do.

After all, we went to war in Iraq based upon the theory that they said they wanted to attack us, and we were concerned that they MIGHT do so...

Gee… I sort of thought this website was to share a common interest in rotary aircraft, a good platform to ask questions and hopefully getting answers on issues related to building, testing, flying, repairing, etc. Lives can be saved by some of the knowledge processed by people who use this forum and I personally thank them for sharing that knowledge.

IMHO, the administrator is just that, the administrator, the gate-keeper of forum activities and has the right and duty to police this forum in order keep its purpose better directed.

Mike, keep up the good work. I would venture to say that the great majority of the users approve your actions. Thanks for being there and taking on this responsibility!

Gee… I sort of thought this website was to share a common interest in rotary aircraft, a good platform to ask questions and hopefully getting answers on issues related to building, testing, flying, repairing, etc. Lives can be saved by some of the knowledge processed by people who use this forum and I personally thank them for sharing that knowledge.

IMHO, the administrator is just that, the administrator, the gate-keeper of forum activities and has the right and duty to police this forum in order keep its purpose better directed.

Mike, keep up the good work. I would venture to say that the great majority of the users approve your actions. Thanks for being there and taking on this responsibility!

And Mike, your right. Except that through this forum, and further through gyro fly-in events, alot of people here became friends with one another, and we wanted a way to share off topic stuff with each other, be it a joke... complaints about Obama.... Bailout of the automakers.... pictures from a trip to Disney World.... how to cook the best grilled peanutbutter and jelly sandwich you ever had..... etc.... In other words this is the area of the forum where it is supposed to be okay to go off topic, say what you want, etc....

Like I said several times, I am not upset that the thread got pulled. I am not mad at Gyromike or anyone else...

GyroRon,

I think if you reread your first post you'll see that it sounds like you're pissed about something.

Just an onservation. Don't ever change dude.

You cannot punish a person based upon what they MIGHT do, only upon what they ACTUALLY do.

WRONG. Its called conspiracy and its a very slippery slope.

When a member of a group takes a public position in a place that is a venue for the views of that group collectively they are representing the views of that group.

What would the perception of us be if we spent a lot of time laughing at stupid pilots who followed or believed in safety procedures..... we would look like reckless dangerous clowns... that would be the culture that was reflected.

I repeat. The moderater/administrator has the right duty and obligation to police this forum. Dont like it start your own or just wave goodbye on your way elsewhere.

What really sucks is that some people dont know whats offensive or at least denigrates without a traffic cop.... and that there are those who would debate the legitimacy of letting pus filled bilge drain away.

What was it that was upsetting; exactly?

What was it that was upsetting; exactly?

Wat wood hapen ins my hi schoo wood be when sombody gets offinded, evybody bgin to do what is so upsettin. We sees what is so unsetin by all doin it. Evybody gets expelled.................yippy!!! NO skool ta-day.

Anyway, the more y'all object the longer this gets drawn out. Did you get that "y'all" which comes from those goat ropers out west. Us hillbillies up in Michigan and the ridge runners in Kentucky don't "cotten" (southern drawl) to no slandering minorities, "don't ya know" (Minnesota). BTW .......... "whitey" is now a minority in this U.S. of A. :boink:

5B,

there are those who would debate the legitimacy of letting pus filled bilge drain away.[/QUOTE]

Awe man I was just sitting down eatiing supper.

Now my shrimp Jumbaliya don't look so good.

Mike Stone, Just a point of order, if I may.

The OFF Topic forum is specifically for non-gyro-related chat.
All the other fora are restricted to gyro stuff.

As to who is offending who, I could care less.

If Mike is a forum Administrator, he gets to set the limits. End of story.

Aw . . .c´mon man. . .lets piss against the wind some more . . . :D
The analogy is the HS subject, if we don´t bang the drum, more people will get hurt.
Our collective opinion is the Forum´s opinion.
I motion for a Full Pardon to Ron the A.
Heron

GyroRon,

I think if you reread your first post you'll see that it sounds like you're pissed about something.

Just an onservation. Don't ever change dude.

Okay, truth is, I was.

I checked the forum yesterday, saw my thread, saw some comments others had posted and was in the middle of posting a responce. A responce that I had sat here at my computer for over a half a hour trying to collect my thoughts into words and then keystrokes. I hit enter, and the forum goes nutty, because you can't reply to a thread that doesn't exist.

I assumed someone complained to Mike, and he deleted it.

Was I mad at Mike? No not really. I consider Mike a friend and I know he is a good man and I respect him.

Was I disappointed in Mike? Yes. I was here on this forum before he was. Todd came up with this forum way back when, because no one else had stepped up to the plate when Norms forum was on the brink of being closed down. Todd emailed me about this forum for my input and he and I talked about it and he decided to go for it. I did ALOT of the early promotion for this forum. Most of the guys here that we turn to for anwsers would not come here to participate on this forum. I had to practically beg Chuck Beaty for months to get him to join us. I know I have posted a fair amount of garbage on this forum, but with over 12 thousand posts, you should be well aware that I have poured a SIGNIFICANT amount of my life into this "online meeting place"........... Does this mean I should be able to post anything I want, or offend anyone or everyone? NO But I would really appreciate a pm or email letting me know I need to close or delete a thread, or change avatars, etc... I think everyone here deserves that, not just me.

So it turns out it was Mikes decision to delete the thread because he personally did not like it. It was not cause of complaints made to him. So like I said, I consider him a friend and I respect him, and I will respect his decision. I just hope that maybe he can show some respect in return next time he decides to delete something I posted, and give me a pm or email or even phone call.

Of course, the best thing I could say to myself is right under my name.... :der:

We can disagree with out being disagreeable, A quote from Obama we can all learn from.

You can also have a good debate going without calling other people names or degrading them in the process.

Tina,

For some reason I keep thinking about what you said on that video.

I was watching you talking about this helicopter crash one day and you said, "And then, Son of a B!otch".

It's crazy but I think of that quote every time I think or hear from you.

Isn't that just crazy?

I can understand Ron being upset at the likely possibility someone had tattled on him,,.without having the gonads to state it directly to Ron or post it on the forum. No one likes a cowardly snitch....and in this case...it turned out this wasnt the case.

I am sure there were several of us wondering if Ron thought we were the snitches.

Personally...I read about half of it...laughed ...and moved on. Had it bothered me...I still would have moved on.....it was in the off topic section and we get a smorgasbord of topics of varying degrees of seriousness and funniness.

Stan

Tina,

For some reason I keep thinking about what you said on that video.

I was watching you talking about this helicopter crash one day and you said, "And then, Son of a B!otch".

It's crazy but I think of that quote every time I think or hear from you.

Isn't that just crazy?

I hear you, I run into a friend the other day and she yelled out "hey Tina 'Son of a Bitch!" I knew right then she seen that show and was quoting me. :lol:

P.S. 'Son of a Bitch' is not a bad word.

I didn't get bent out of shape or emotionally distraught when I first saw Ron's post about Christmas in the Hood. In fact I didn't delete it as soon as I saw it. But after thinking about it some, I didn't think it was appropriate. So then I deleted it and forgot about it.

This is the most prominent worldwide public venue for our sport, and I would like to see it project the best image as possible, and inclusive of all groups.

Like I said, it was my decision, with no input or complaints from anyone else.

And as for the burden of running the Forum, it ain't that much to it. I answer a few emails, or occasionally help folks with posting or registration issues. It's so easy, I'm even eating ice cream while typing this up.

Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate & Homemade Vanilla.
Ain't integration great? :D

Mike has to look out for the good of everyone and make sure that the forum is something that everyone can enjoy, tuff to do. It's like the non-smoker at work that complains about other people smoking and if they get just a wiff of a smell they fell offended but after work they head out to the bar and hang out for several hours in smoke that's so thick you need a knife to cut through it. When people complain about being offended about a joke, I bet there are some of them that if they were hanging out with thier friends and having a beer they would laugh thier ass off when they hear one of thier buddies tell the joke. But if there is even one person that truly feels that this is offensive then they need to be respected. I wouldn't want the job of deciding that though, I would be more tempted to just tell them to "get a life" because I feel as though no matter what you say or do there is always someone that feels offended.