And another abused pup finds a good home

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
Well ladies and gents here is our new addition to our family.
Little fury fellow. Still a little shy but finally the tail is up :)

Last edited:
Well done!

We have a rescue dog from Katrina.

That is very nice of you & your family. He looks like he will be very happy.

Thank you from me.

Yep looks like a very happy Pup. She just turned 1 year old so she can put the past behind very easily. Smart little dog. I can never get how someone can abuse a creature that is so forgiving and loving like a dog......

Our "pup" enjoys his river chucking

Our "pup" enjoys his river chucking

We weren't sure if we wanted to kill him or keep him, hence the rope.

Attachments

• IMG_1714.jpg
    IMG_1714.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
We kept him !

The rope was to keep him from swimming ashore and having to chase him.
When ever he retrieves his toy, he always wants to take it to shore.
p.s. Ace was a rescue dog too.

LOL Tom a friend of mine had a Newfoundland dog and once he went to a large lake with him since he didn't know any better..... After the dog did it's built in save the drowning stuff (none of those people wanted to be rescued btw) the dog was jut sitting at the shore and was really proud of himself. My friend just kept yelling to people to allow the dog to rescue them they will finish up faster that way. I think that was the last time they went to even nearby any larger body of water :)

Tom I much prefer your method of tossing dogs in the river. Thanks.

Gabor is that a Shih Tzu type dog? They are the best.

He looks a lot like my little pest. His mother was a pure bred Shih Tzu, his father was a mixed Cocker Spanial and Scottish Terrier. (IF it's the one we think)
He is a real dust mop and doesn't like a bath! I try to be as gentle with his bath as possible, I set the machine for "Delicate Fabrics", but he really hates the spin cycle!

Goofy Dog Story.

All of a sudden I feel like telling a true story like most helicopter pilots are prone to do from time to time. Even when there is nothing flying and just dogs and water we can always come up with something.

We call them drop off dogs. I live in the country and when city folks need to get rid of a dog they leave them in a rural area knowing those country folks always take care of animals. I was fortunate to find in my driveway a clean nicely groomed Sheppard type dog with all the vet tags on it's collar. It was great with people and great with kids. He was such a happy dog we named him Goofy. Helicopter pilots are renowned for their dog naming talents.

One day my daughter who was 8 or 9 had a bunch of friends over and they were jumping off a raft in the small river in my front yard. I heard a piercing scream , the dog started howling followed by an even more piercing scream.

I ran down to the river in a panic and my daughter showed me scratches on her back and bite marks on the back of her head. She seemed Ok and was back on the raft. The dog was beside me on shore. She said the dog "came after her" in the water.

At that moment I decided this dog should not be around kids but it went against everything the dog had proven to be for the last couple of years. Things didn't add up so I went a ways up on shore and watched for a while.

What was happening was my daughter would jump into the water and scream and splash around like a drowning person in full panic mode. She was not drowning of course but she sure acted like it. The dog howled , looked at me , looked at her and jumped in the river to save her. He swam around behind her , grabbed her as gently as possible on the back of the head and started bringing her to shore.

Once on shore I told my daughter to sit , stay, and be quiet.
I spent the next 5 minutes praising my dog for saving her life. He understood.
The next 20 minutes I tried to explain it to my daughter. She never understood.

I had that dog for another 8 years with absolutely no problems. But if someone was drowning he would be sure to save them.

No PETA
No Humane society.
No training.
Just the instincts of man's best friend.
Even the ones named Goofy .

Great story Arnie. :)Yes Arnie she is a pure breed Shih Tzu. Poor thing is so afraid of men. Apparently the source of abuse had to be a guy. Anyways. She is still growling at me but at the same time she is wagging her tail. So it is going to be a trust building procedure for a while. I am not pushing it. I just sit on the ground and ignore her so she can come closer to me. And when she is close enough I pet her for a short time. I think we are making progress. Now one thing I already like about her that she likes pineapple ice cream. :) Poor thing just went into heat! DAMN IT! :( They bought her for breeding purposes. We will fix that soon. I got an appointment with my vet for Thursday. Just to check her out.
Pete try the knitted cycle and hairdryer. My wife dries them off.

Last edited:
good for you gab, i love me pets! my jack russell isn't scared of anything but guns and loud noises, everything else is game, he won't back down from anything even though his manhood was taken! :D

Attachments

• russ.jpg
    russ.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
Gabor Those dogs are the most softest cuddly lovable lap dogs in the whole world and they do not shed any hair.

They are also the very best guard dogs in the whole world.

That little dog of yours does not yet know if you are a protector or if you are someone who needs protection. Give it time to decide.

If you take that dog to the vet to be spayed I will come to Florida and cut your nuts off.

Kings selected those dogs because they hear and know everything going around the castle and will make a low growl that wakes up the big bad dogs outside who were otherwise asleep.

Cancel the vet appointment and spend the next 4 weeks proving you are worthwhile being protected by one of these lovable Shih Tzu dogs. I am completely serious.

Your friend Arnie.

If none of this is acceptable to you I will drive to Florida and give you a thousand dollars for that dog. Put the knives away. I'm not kidding.

Arnie I don't own the dog. My wife owns every animal in the house. Including me. There is no question about the procedure. She will be spayed as soon as she is done with her 21 day cycle. As it is right now she can't even sit on her behind that's how swollen the poor thing is. No it is not a great thing for them to go through this. Any vet will tell you that the hormonal changes are not beneficial for them and they are much healthier being fixed. Also they live longer and have less chance of developing cancer. She won't be missing a thing except going through the hurdle every 6-7 months. Sorry my friend she is going to be spayed. All our pets are. None of them ever had any trauma from it. I for one sure would like to see more responsible owners do it. I hate to see the number of puppies and kitties being put down every year. I also donate every month to our local shelter. But we can't save all of them unfortunately. So trust me she will be happy in my home and won't miss going through another episode of going into heat where the natural cycle takes over and hormonal behavior sends her through the roof trying to mate.....It is not fun for anyone, including her.

Sorry Gabor for not telling you the rest of the story and why I said what I did. My comments were not directed at you or your situation with your new dog. What I was doing was venting some frustration caused by puppy mills and spayed or neutered breeds like the Shih Tzu.

In order to keep the prices high ($400-$500) around here , the breeders (puppy mills) castrate every dog they sell so that we must buy from them only , and then we must pay their high price. Their motive is not so much to take care of the dogs , it is to have a captive market . These puppy mills subject their females to brutal and cruel continuous multiple births to keep the revenue flowing. Giving birth is very traumatic for these small dogs.

My solution is to have more folks like us let our females have maybe one or two litters and pass the pups around to good homes at low cost and have everybody do the same. This would undermine the puppy mill business. After one or two litters , then we can neuter them. I think that is the point I was aiming at . Sorry about some of the graphic words I used in the other post. I was thinking the software would edit it out. My mistake. Sorry.

I love those dogs Gabor and I had a female for 10 years. I wanted her to have one litter but experienced extreme frustration trying to find an un-cut male. The only ones I could locate were at puppy mills and they wanted control of the pups plus $500 from me. All I ever wanted was one new pup and the rest were for family members and friends. I never did get the chance and I no longer have an ankle biter guarding my castle and now I come across as an angry King. :)

Love ya Gabor and I am glad you have one of those dogs. It will become your favorite in time. Here is an old picture of mine practicing her ankle biting skills. :)

Attachments

• bailey - ham bone.jpg
    bailey - ham bone.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
I agree 100% with you Arnie about the puppy mills. She was bought for the very reason. They paid $700.00 for her. I will not mention the origin, race, or color of the people she was rescued from. Let's say they also breed Pitbulls and sell them through catalogs to their fellow drug dealers. Apparently they can get $6000.00-7000.00 for a totally aggressive so called "trained to kill" Pitbull. They deliver the dogs sedated so the first person they see after waking up is the new owner, and an instant bond is guaranteed with the one that feeds him. This little fellow refused to be their dog. When I tried to pet her she peed herself while whimpering. Pretty hearth breaking experience. Finally she took a dump on their bed and that did it! Yeah if they locked me in the bedroom for a whole day I'd probably take a dump on their bed too.... Hell I don't even have to be locked up to do that to those people! Anyways. She is jumping on my leg now and since she didn't respond to her "given" name of Precious we figured a new life starts with a new name. So she is Lucy now and listens to her name already. Here is the dish she had at her previous owner. Yes "PRECEUES" that's how they spelled Precious!!!!
And they have 3 kids! I truly have the opinion that some people shouldn't own pets let alone children...... I love that picture Arnie :) Heheheheheeeeeeeeee She was a cutie :)
Lucy and I are good buddies already. I know that for a fact this morning she throw up on my foot. Silly Lucy got a bit overactive after her breakfast and a little came back. It happens. So I guess we are cool now LOL. Ok I made a picture of her dish too so you can see it for yourself. Love ya Arnie if I ever come across another Shih Tzu to be rescued I'll get it for ya ok?

Last edited:
My other dog has no fur but the Queen had to brush him too. Not jealous at all LOL.

Last edited:
We get drop off dogs where we live all the time--i hope there is a special place in hell for people that abandon dogs knowing they will likely starve to death. It is harvest time in our vineyard, and we just had 3 of the 5 from the latest batch we have brought back from starvation/mange adopted. Years back we had an abandoned dog for 14 years, and i was the only male that dog would ever let touch her.