Dominator style shock absorbers

Trez

Aircraft
EAB 503 Powered UltraWhite-like Dom
Total Flight Time
25,000+
Perfectly good set of two shocks from an almost new UltraWhite.
Replacing them with spring-over shocks and have no more need for these air-adjustable shocks.
I'm thinkin' $50 for the pair. Let me know if you're interested.
Trez

Mark,
I'm not going to be a great deal of help but I'll try.
Dave Seace (hangar-mate) suggested we try replacing the stock shocks with spring-overs. Well, I've never had any experience with shocks so he took it upon himself to find some VW baja dune-buggy type shocks but it turns out the springs are too long and too mushy for my lard a$$. So I went shopping on the internet and found what I think was a really good deal on some springs. I'm going to Wauchula this weekend with the springs and will try to see which (out of four sets) will do the job best.
There doesn't seem to be an 'off the shelf' shock that just replaces what's on there already so it seems to be a trial and error thing.
But I found a good place to get some springs if you're interested and know what you want. Heck, I didn't know what I wanted and ordered three sets (then the guy throws in another set) and with shipping it only cost me $40.00). So it will still be a little while before we know which combination is going to work best.
Of course, the Wauchula Morons are the best! They know their stuff and are always willing to help. (They'll all go to Heaven!)
Send me you email and I'll zap you the link to the site where I got the springs.
So I can't give you anything firm but might know much more next week. Depends on what gets done on Saturday.........
Best of luck,
Trez

Trez, I had the pleasure of flying with Dave for a few hours last year. I am familiar with his shocks but I remember him saying that they are 'pieced together'. I too am a fair sized guy (230) and I have been keeping an eye on any possibility to change out my air shocks. I will need a pair that totals out 750# (all up weight) so I will probably have to play the 'spring game' too. Give me a p/m when you get things together & give my best to Dave. Thanks.......

Mark,
Go ahead and bookmark these two links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180251961973

http://www.dtproduct.com/motorcyclesaccerssories.html

They are both the same seller and the one I just bought my springs from. (Cheaper at his website). When Davey and I get some high level test trials done we might have an idea which combination is best. I'm at 220# so we've been eating the same pasta. Gotta lose some!

Remind me later if you don't hear from me for a while. I tend to forget since my wife started me on rat poison.

Stay tuned.............

Trez

Remember my offer of bringing up some racing shocks for you to test out, I got the feeling you did not want to be a test pilot so I dropped it. Someday I will build a coil over suspension on my Gyro and I can dial it in and if you have not found what you are looking for by then I will share my final setup.

The shock should be..Chirco VW dune buggy shocks, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-B...ocks-Pair_W0QQitemZ370059024233QQcmdZViewItem
they are the correct length.
BUT the springs are way too soft, so you must use a motorcycle spring and make a spacer for the spring because of different spring lengths.
Problem is......depends on aircraft weight, pilot weight, engine type weight etc.
So there is no easy answer to "what works" it is all trial and lots of error, the advantage to this is that you can do it for less than $100. once you get it dialed in, you are good.

Last edited:
Todd, I know your offer is still good but I do not want to inconvenience you. I didn't forget about you.

Scott, thanks for the link, I apperciate the information. You are a walking veritible parts reference guide. People like you guys are the reason I come to this forum. No BS, just good info!!

Thanks Trez, is this the same company you purchased the shocks from or is that a different location?

No, Mark, I like you are following the guys who are blazing the trail that I would be lost on.
The shocks were Dave Seace's choice and the springs that I referred to earlier were an approximation of what Scott SX (love that) has on his bird. He, Scott, has 'held my hand' until I think I may have close to what he uses and is satisfied with. Trouble is, Scott is sleek and racy and I'm, well, comfortably retired and show it.
Anyway, like Scott said, it's gonna depend on a lot of variables but I think I have some good support in getting it done if they just weren't a bunch of Morons.
Goin' to Wauchula tomorrow AM and we'll see what gets done.
I'll try to remember to let you know. (Remember the rat poison).
Trez