Craigslist Ad

Excellent machine for staying current with glide approaches!!! lol

Sorry you Mac lovers!!! The Devil made me do it. :(

Aussie Paul. :)

Is that Reading, PA ? I wonder how he gets 200mph out of it ? I will have to contact him !

probably knows nothing about it and the speedo shows up to 200 mph.

Thats funny!! a direct drive Mac @ 200MPH that thing would be turning about what 15,000 LOL some ads are so amusing!!!

The scary thing is that some new guy that doesn't know any better is going to believe what he is being told and make a bad decision based on inaccurate information and be hurt in the deal.
I called this seller and asked him some questions about it, and it was obvious he didn't know hardly anything about it, but he thinks he knows enough and he really doesn't care if he is passing along bad information, and it scares me to death. He told me if he doesn't sell it in the next month that he will take it out and fly it himself. He believes you don't need a pilots license if you are flying it from private property and he doesn't think he needs instruction to fly it. This is just the kind of scenario that leads to someone crashing and possibly killing them self. So very sad that he really doesn't even want to know more about the truth.

The scary thing is that some new guy that doesn't know any better is going to believe what he is being told and make a bad decision based on inaccurate information and be hurt in the deal.
I called this seller and asked him some questions about it, and it was obvious he didn't know hardly anything about it, but he thinks he knows enough and he really doesn't care if he is passing along bad information, and it scares me to death. He told me if he doesn't sell it in the next month that he will take it out and fly it himself. He believes you don't need a pilots license if you are flying it from private property and he doesn't think he needs instruction to fly it. This is just the kind of scenario that leads to someone crashing and possibly killing them self. So very sad that he really doesn't even want to know more about the truth.

Thanks for making the effort, Doug.

Ira

An old vancraft with a mac. Easy to fly , no licence needed. Sounds like an ntsb report in the making. Again Doug thanks for the effort.
RWE

I'll send flowers and a message of condolences at the appropriate time. Some people; ego is a huge blinder. When I was taking FW training there was another student with an Alpha personality. The instructor told him NOT to practice stalls as he was not comfortable with the student's actions during a stall. But being "Don't tell me that, I already know how to do it!" he went out one evening to do some solo work. We can only surmise what happened; he did a stall when he was too close to ground elevation. When he realized his mistake, he hauled back on the yoke and went into an accelerated stall that ended at ground level.

This seller sounds like the same type of personality. All you can do is tell him (ONCE) not to fly it without proper instruction. After that, just watch for the obituary.

Nearest I can tell the structure (or tail) is not VanCraft...

Jason, what are you seeing which leads you to say this? This is the Vancraft Rotor Lightning, and that's the stock tail and welded steel structure.

The design continued briefly as a Sport Copter model in the late 1980s, when it was replaced by the Sport Copter Lightning, which uses a triangulated, bolted aluminum frame and no fairing. The mold for the fairing was modified to eliminate the "flag" along the top on each side, where the Vancraft logo is on this one, and used on the Sport Copter Vortex.

I owned a 1981 (could have been 1982) rotor lightning (503 engine) and the mast and landing gear legs were round aluminum with a wood core. The seat and engine mount were welded steel. I went back and took another look at the tail in the craigslist add and, from what I remember, the tail of my Rotor Lightning was built like that one. It is very possible there were earlier or later models than mine and this one is a Vancraft Rotor Lightning. It is just built very differently than the one I owned was

FWIW
Jason

Jason, what are you seeing which leads you to say this? This is the Vancraft Rotor Lightning, and that's the stock tail and welded steel structure.

The design continued briefly as a Sport Copter model in the late 1980s, when it was replaced by the Sport Copter Lightning, which uses a triangulated, bolted aluminum frame and no fairing. The mold for the fairing was modified to eliminate the "flag" along the top on each side, where the Vancraft logo is on this one, and used on the Sport Copter Vortex.

I have absolutely no doubt it will go 200 mph.

...just need a tall enough cliff to push it off.

I also agree with Ron. Seller was probably was going by the top end of the ASI. Given the right gauges, this gyro probably has a service ceiling of over 100,000 feet and a MAC that revs up around 10,000 rpm (running with a cylinder head temperature of 700 degrees (F)). That would also mean the rotors spin up to 999 RRPM, and I'm sure that's just with the pre-rotator.