UFO gyro - USA

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Hi

Captain Gator raised the subject of the UFO - rather than divert the existing thread I thought it better to start a fresh one.

The UFO Helithruster has been discussed many times here on RWF.

I'd recommend those interested refresh their minds by re-reading the following thread

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36423&highlight=ufo+helithruster

Having read the above I'd be interested to here of the latest developments of the "USA UFO" and progress to date.

Several old UFO were exported from NZ to North America - they've not appeared on any register ( US or Canada ) - could they be in North Carolina as machines to be modified / re-built / used for parts ?

All facts welcomed.

Steve

Ok I have to speak up here, since I conceder Anthony a Friend, I have been to his shop a few times.

I have sat in the new UFO, it is not like the old one, the new one has more power, and is also now being set up with new dual controls and and new style tail.

I have not been to the shop in awhile,so I am sure capt-n-gator can probably get some more up to date photos.

what I do know is I took poll awhile back on things to improve the design. gave the results to Anthony and he along with the Designer have been working on these improvements.

So point is, you are comparing apples to oranges, let the man get the bugs worked out and let the new machine speak for it's self. I get so disgusted, when people talk bad about a machine they have no clue about. yeah the OLD UFO had issues. NOw can we just give the man a chance to work the bugs out and maybe just give us a nice new Machine to chose from.

Hell I had designed a Gyro to introduce to the world and Anthony was going to build a prototype and test. but Due to all the **** on this Forum it was shelved.

Too bad this forum does more harm to the sport then good.

Nope,I am not back to stay on here. just logged in to see the pics Stan posted of the Tornado area. and saw this thread and the one about the Rotor blades.

good luck and fly safe everyone.

Attachments

• New Rudder and BMW engine 011.jpg
    New Rudder and BMW engine 011.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_2386.jpg
    100_2386.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2
  • UFO Exhaust 003.jpg
    UFO Exhaust 003.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 2
Ok I have to speak up here, since I conceder Anthony a Friend, I have been to his shop a few times.

I have sat in the new UFO, it is not like the old one, the new one has more power, and is also now being set up with new dual controls and and new style tail.

I have not been to the shop in awhile,so I am sure capt-n-gator can probably get some more up to date photos.

what I do know is I took poll awhile back on things to improve the design. gave the results to Anthony and he along with the Designer have been working on these improvements.

So point is, you are comparing apples to oranges, let the man get the bugs worked out and let the new machine speak for it's self. I get so disgusted, when people talk bad about a machine they have no clue about. yeah the OLD UFO had issues. NOw can we just give the man a chance to work the bugs out and maybe just give us a nice new Machine to chose from.

Hell I had designed a Gyro to introduce to the world and Anthony was going to build a prototype and test. but Due to all the **** on this Forum it was shelved.

Too bad this forum does more harm to the sport then good.

Nope,I am not back to stay on here. just logged in to see the pics Stan posted of the Tornado area. and saw this thread and the one about the Rotor blades.

good luck and fly safe everyone.

Animal, as I am not really familiar with this Gyro, what are the "bugs" and or what is keeping this aircraft from competing? Is is the PSRU? or design flaws or just lack of capital financing?

Looks like a really nice Gyro that looks to fly well in the web site video that dates back to 2007. That was 7 years ago. Why no up dates on the web site? The lack of information and up dates can be a big problem for any company.

As as to your comment on this site doing more harm than good, in my opinion that is completely opposite of what I have found here. I am new to this sport and this forum has been the finest resource of information and help that I could have ever of had and would be lost without the help I have found here. There may be a few pissing matches here and there but like me most of the forum users just ignore that aspect and glean the best of information that is available here.

Just wondering what the current issues are with this UFO gyro. Some time in the future I want a nice enclosed Gyro and I welcome any new safe and stable designs.

thanks

Mark

Last edited:
With thanks to Animal we have

a new rudder

a BMW engine

Has the new USA UFO flown in this configuaration - if not when ( approx ) is a first flight anticipated ?

"""I'd be interested to here of the latest developments of the "USA UFO" and progress to date.""

Steve

Power, while it might have been lacking was not as big of an issue as the gyro wantng to swap ends. If a new rudder can cure this relitvely small fault, then I take my hat off to Anthony.

If the new engine hasnt reduced weight and no weight reduction has been undertaken, then there possibly are some major issues waiting to rear their ugly head.

Good luck with the orange.

So what sort of HP does the new engine produce?

"Madwinger" perhaps improvements to the UFO can turn it into a good aircraft, but if you have read threads on here regarding its history you will understand why people look at the UFO with a great deal of caution.

Cheers

Barry

Tall tails offer several advantages if properly implemented:

1. The throttle-yaw coupling of ½ height tails doesn’t exist. The spiraling propeller slipstream striking a ½ height tail pushes the tail in the same direction as the lower ½ of the propeller is moving.

2. There is some straightening of the propeller slipstream, reducing
torque roll.

For all-flying tails, an anti-servo tab is essential. Otherwise, there is a strong tendency to swap ends. An all-flying tail will normally trail downstream, aligning itself with the airflow and eliminating the stabilizing effect of the tail surface. An anti-servo tab provides a centering effect that can’t be duplicated by rudder springs.

I agree with Boots......who's the resident gyro expert at Pheonix? Anyone at that company have any advanced gyro experience? Why hasn't anyone from Pheonix jumped into this conversation? It would be nice to see another good, safe enclosed 2 place on the market.

“Designers” ought to test fly their own designs.

That way, incompetent designers would eliminate themselves.

Hi Brent

Re BMW - I read the image description for photo 3 - the embedded captions says

""New rudder and BMW engine""

It maybe an incorrect caption - sorry.

Phoneix also have a snazzy 2 seater helicopter drawing on their website - available 2012 - anyone know any facts about this machine ?

Steve

Question

Would anybody on this thread consider buying a USA UFO ?

Is there a market for it in the US ?

Any market research.

Steve

??????????

??????????

I would think that if there were a Proven Product, somebody would.

I learned the hard way.

fj

...Hell I had designed a Gyro to introduce to the world and Anthony was going to build a prototype and test. but Due to all the **** on this Forum it was shelved.

Too bad this forum does more harm to the sport then good...

If you're a qualified designer or a kitmaker, why would you be afraid to engage the community and answer concerns? A good design can withstand the scrutiny, especially if you've tested the prototype before promoting sales.

If you get your feelings hurt when experienced gyro people point out potential issues, there is another way to go. Avoid the forum, the PRA and gyroplane events, and focus instead on media and events catering to people who are uninformed about gyros.

Designing a gyro + no experience in a gyro = hmmm!

I would opt for the designer/manufacturer who has some type of gyro experience.

I hear Groen Brothers have finally got some funding to go ahead with their Gyroplane's. They have some interesting designs. http://www.groenbros.com/products.php I have talked with them several years ago regarding their Gyro's and they may yet succeed in getting these commercial Gyros on the market worldwide. Just a thought from a Newby. They do have an interesting view on the market.

The first thing I would is rename it. The UFO has a bad reputation for a very good reason. So if this new builder doesn't want the stigma attached to this machine that its predecessor had it would be a good start. I don't think anyone would argue that we could use a few more options in the enclosed Gyor market if for nothing else but to offer up more competition and drive down the prices. That is, assuming it's safe.