Helicycle Hatchery

Sounds good ,Stan.

Can't wait for more HELICYCLE !

What No Pictures

What No Pictures

Where are the pictures at? I have not seen any updates in a while the the Hat.
:violin:

Did you feel like an idiot?

Did you feel like an idiot?

Stan,
I've been flying fixed wing for over 20 years and have about 8 hours in the R-22. I want to get my rotorwing rating before tackling a helicycle kit. How many hours did you have in the r-22 before soloing? I was hover taxiing out for a take off the other day and bouncing all over the place. I made a comment to my instructor that I thought I could hear the guys in the tower laughing at my performance. I felt like a complete idiot. Geez, just the engine start up procedure is nerve wracking.
Bruce Stafford - now taking a sabbatical from that madness we call "managed care"

I had some guys stopping by my shop today....they were wanting to look at my Helicycle. Before they came I placed the tail rotor on the frame where the main rotor goes.

I had to watch their reaction. One guy goes..."Man, is that all the bigger your rotor is? I said...."It turns really fast!" I had to laugh as they looked so shocked.

I told them it was my tail rotor....and then they looked relieved. :yo:

Stan

Attachments

• DSC01921.JPG
    DSC01921.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 1
Its time for the Helicycle to get out of my stairshop! I have two 180 degree stairways going...and a third one that will be built where the new plywood is on the floor. My Heli-hanger will soon be painted...and it will get out of this dusty and accident prone environment! I will be starting in with installing the transmission and tail rotor gearbox. Then the tail rotor and drive shaft.

Stan

Attachments

• DSC01945.JPG
    DSC01945.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01946.JPG
    DSC01946.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01947.JPG
    DSC01947.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01948.JPG
    DSC01948.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
Yes I agree Stan, it does need to be moved to safety. to easy to have something scratch it. I had a guy and his wife came buy my shop tonight and by all my spare harley parts,and the whole time I was like saying watch the gyro,watch the gyro. on a good note I got enough from the parts to buy that Aerocarb that I want for my Gyro. once I get the carb I will be in the home stretch for starting the engine. woo hoo!

looking forward to seeing ya get the helicycle in it's new hanger where you can get back to working on it.

Hey Stan, when you coming to Daytona? I am not at all far from there if you would have a day or evening when you want a diversion. PM me if you want my phone number, I would love to show you my part of the world.

Joe- We are flying into Orlando on Friday, the 13th, then my son Jeff and his wife are going to go to the Saturday race while I am planning on visiting the Space Center on Saturday . The shuttle is scheduled to lift off on the 12th, but I hope it is delayed until the 14th. I have always dreamed of seeing and feeling a shuttle launch. Not many flights left for it unfortunately. If you want to chum around on Saturday that would be cool. Sunday the 15th we will be at the Daytona 500 thanks to DeWalt Tools! Stan

Things are going to start happening again. I finished painting last night...swept and washed the floor...installed a few cabinets...but the biggest accomplishment today was getting my Helicycle out in its new room where its dust free.

I will resume work on it later next week. I havent touched it since Aug 22. I just had too much going on and since I was waiting on parts....I decided to get this room done.

I will be installing the transmission, tail rotor gearbox...tail rotor...and tail rotoro driveshaft in the next several weeks.

My third shipment is coming the end of March....so I should be steadily working on this now.

Stan

Attachments

• DSC02195.JPG
    DSC02195.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02214.JPG
    DSC02214.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02217.JPG
    DSC02217.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02219.JPG
    DSC02219.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02220.JPG
    DSC02220.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 3
Bet she feels better now, I'm sure all of those saws and drills running in the same room probably scared the hell out of her. Good job Stan.

This is my DeWalt corner....I have to make some extension jambs, shelf and trim the window out.

The other pictures is a matching cabinet next to my visitors lounge.

I have several cabinets and shelving to put in yet....and the walls will have large pictures from flying someday.

Stan

Attachments

• DSC02218.JPG
    DSC02218.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02216.JPG
    DSC02216.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
Looks good Stan, looking forward to seeing you back on the build.

won't be long and it's really going to look like a helicopter.

btw what shipment will the main blades be?

Yaw Mon!!!
Now that's a Helicycle HANGER!!!!:whoo:

We've been wait'n!!!!!
SWEET!!:first:

Tim- My rotor blades are in the next shipment, along with all the instrumentation. The forth and last shipment is the TURBINE!

Now that I see parts coming, I am getting all lathered up.

Stan

Now that I am getting back in the build saddle...I am refreshing my memory on previous choices. Here is the GPS that I will desing my instrument panel around. Its a GeoPilot11....and it is able to have XM weather should I want to subscribe to it. I like the buttons, and would not want a touch screen as that would be too touchy in my opinion while trying to fly a helicopter.

I am looking forward to the rest of the build very much...and I wont be pressured to make Mentone this year. So,,,from now on, just more continual progress.

http://www.aviationlogs.com/PilotShop/proddetail.asp?prod=AVMAP-GEOIIPlus

Stan

The first thing I had to do was get the tornado with an attitude decal applied to the right side of the cabin. I had ordered it , but it came in reversed image, and this was when I was just waiting on past last August.

That tornado fits the theme of my build perfectly, since my shop was destroyed by one in 2004 and a straight line winds hit me again in 2005 doing the same amount of damage. That tornado fits the airflow going on inside that turbine engine that will be fired up later this year.

So, its minor but its a start back on my build. More serious transmission and tail rotor wok coming soon,

Stan

Attachments

• DSC02217.JPG
    DSC02217.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02212.JPG
    DSC02212.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02213.JPG
    DSC02213.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Stan,
I saw a Heli featured in the Sport Avation Mag today. It is owned by Milton Huhta and also a Safari Heli, by Michael Smolek. I don't know if they post here or not.

Mark- Several Helicycle guys lurk here...but never post. A few mostly lurk with an occasional post. I of course post a lot....,maybe too much.:yo:

But I am going to be ramping up my progress on will post lots of pictures till shes flying.....then it will be a new thread.

Stan

That a Hanger!! But where is the DeWalt Banner?

I bought a DVD player to watch all the Helicycle videos. Here is a picture of all of them. B.J. Schramm is the narrator in these and can be seen pointing out some details on the transmission segment I was watching. This DVD player makes it a lot handier to watch.

I will be final installing the top fuel tank next...in preparation for installing the main transmission. I plan on getting a few hours after work tomorrow. It will be nice to get back in the build groove again.

In the last picture you can see the top fuel tank. Thats what I will be focusing on, cleaning it out...installing the o-ring mounting bolts, and if everything is done correctly....it wont leak. :suspicious:

Stan

Attachments

• DSC02217.JPG
    DSC02217.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02243.JPG
    DSC02243.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02245.JPG
    DSC02245.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1