gyroplane training in northern california

tilopa

I've searched the web but cannot find anyone who teaches gyroplane in CA, does anyone know of anyone doing this in CA?
Thanks.

It depends on whether or not you own a two place Gyro that you can take your training in. There is a Gyro CFI but I don't believe he has a Gyro to train you in.

I do not have a Gyro at this point. My goal is to get my sport pilot license in a gyro and then purchase and build a Dominator single kit.

Doug, can you tell me what part of CA the CFI is in, it would be good to know if someone is in my area for future reference.
Thanks.

Then it sounds like you are simply going to have to be willing to take a week or two of Vacation and travel to an instructor in order to get some training. As there will be several instructors attending the PRA convention at Mentone this year perhaps you can take some time off and arrange a few days of training with them (just before the convention) and hit the convention too. I understand that isn't convenient for you but it sounds like that is the price you are going to have to be willing to pay if you want to learn to fly Gyroplanes. Best of luck!!!

I do not have a Gyro at this point. My goal is to get my sport pilot license in a gyro and then purchase and build a Dominator single kit.

Ted, unfortunately, the nearest, appropriate, available instruction to you right now is Ron Menzie in Searcy, Arkansas. We have three CFIs in the greater Salt Lake City area at the moment, but none who have a machine to fly.

You should get in touch with PRA Chapter 31 in San Diego County. They seem to have a plan underway to get both a machine and an instructor available.

Last edited:
There are two of us in the San Fran bay area, but we do not train for sport pilot ratings, in part because of the aircraft we have. Our two Air & Space 18A aircraft can't legally be flown with only a sport pilot rating, because they're 1800 pound, standard airworthiness certified gyros with fully-articulated rotors, and they are too complex and heavy to qualify as light sport aircraft. They do nice jump take-offs, though. We can probably work out a ride for you sometime for fun, but it won't be a good trainer for the Dominator you have in mind.

You will need a gyro to fly off your FAA-required 5 hours of solo time for the SP license. To be proficient in flying a gyroplane, one will need more than that amount, as well as more than the FAA-required 15 hours of dual.

Just a suggestion... If the decision to build a gyro is a done deal, then get the build started and time the training to where your gyro will be ready when it's time to solo. Most likely, you won't be able to solo in the trainer. That way you fly while you build and it keeps the drive alive. If you get your license now and then build, 1) you'll get rusty on your training, 2) you'll probably rush the build in the excitement of getting in the air and 3) the frustration will build when it takes hours to do many of the "simple" tasks.

Thanks for the advice. Actually building the gyro is not a done deal, I got the bug from a friend of mine who has his gyro license, but I've never flown before. So I think it would be wise to at least start lessons and go up a few times before investing in the build.

Maybe I'll go out of state for an extended weekend and get a half dozen hours in the air and go from there. If I want to go forward then I can proceed with the build and plan the completion around needed just my solo time for the license.

Ted, your profile doesn't say, but do you have any existing aviation qualifications? If you have a private, recreational or sport pilot certificate in airplanes, it can shorten the path to gyroplanes.

All the Cessna dealers are required by their contracts to purchase a minimum quantity of Cessna aircraft every couple years. Now that the 162 Skycatcher LSA is starting to actually be delivered, many Cessna Pilot Centers are ordering them to fulfill this requirement, because it's the lowest-cost aircraft Cessna offers. That, and the introduction of Cessna's new sport pilot course, will make instruction for the Sport Pilot/Airplane certificate much more readily available.

The location near me will be getting two Skycatchers in the next few months, and they'll rent for $109/hour including fuel. Add $50/hr for the instructor, and that's training in a brand new airplane for less than you can train in an experimental gyro most places, especially if you have to travel.

The only reason I bring this up is that getting your Sport Pilot Certificate in airplane becomes a qualification which will not expire, and makes the gyroplane a simple add-on. You'll also be able to take your flight reviews in an airplane afterward to stay legal, rather than having to find a gyro instructor with a two-place machine available.

It's not a bad way to go.

Thanks for the advice. No I do not have any flight experience, so maybe I will try fixed wing training until I can find gyro training.