RAF motor mounts

AirHorse1

Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/ lowered keel mod & HS
Does anyone happen to know who makes the motor mounts that RAF supplies its kits with? I thought I had read somewhere that Aussie Paul used Lord barry mounts on his but I didnt see any reference number. Does anyone use an alternative mount on there RAF ?

I just did a bunch of research on just this thing. My RAF mounts were squashed to the point of no return. I took them off and put the calipers to them.

RAF's standard issue mounts were found to be Barry Mounts with the white and yellow dot on them. These are considered as "medium" strength and good for 90 pounds of vertical loading. Most suppliers designated them as BC-22001-12.

There is a harder barry mount (white & green dots) in the same family that is rated for 140 pounds vertical. The item number generally is BC-22001-13.

LEAF had them in a recent catalog as Part Number H6142 (medium rated) and H6143 (hard rated)...about $9 / ea.

Also see http://www.novibration.com/22000.htm

Hope that helps.

...Mike

Attachments

• Barry Mount Spec.jpg
    Barry Mount Spec.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • LEAF - Barry Mounts.jpg
    LEAF - Barry Mounts.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I bought mine from Wicks, part number 22001-12. They have a yellow and white dot on them. That's a medium hardness, if you want harder, they should have them.

Thanks for the help guys !! I need to replace mine too. Will getting the harder mounts allow much more vibration to the airframe? This may not be a good thing but if its not too much it might be worth it to get the hard mounts. I guess it would be worth a try anyway. Thanks again for this info. Its much appreciated.

Why would you want to go to a harder engine mount? Yes it will transfer more vibration to the airframe.

I thought that with a harder mount you might get more firm response, less rocking back-n-forth with power changes and thus the mounts (and other parts) might last a bit longer.

If you don't let the engine rock a little then your transferring the engine vibration to the airframe. Over time that will cause more trouble than the mounts are worth.:peace:

If you don't let the engine rock a little then your transferring the engine vibration to the airframe. Over time that will cause more trouble than the mounts are worth.:peace:

Hmmm...I tend to agree with that reasoning. ;)

Cheers :)

They are not "that" hard, do an engine run with the machine tied down, and you would be amazed at how much some motor mounts stretch and give.
I have used the medium ones and they seem a tad soft. just my 2 cents.
The soft ones are great for mufflers.