Reducing Ground Accidnets.... Is there something more we can do? Ideas?

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
In this topic another ground accident has been announced that claimed a life of a Rotary Forum member.

Earlier this year a new gyro owner died working on his newly purchased gyrobee.

A few years ago my friend Chuck Irby died from a prop strike while working on his Dominator.

I have not run any numbers but it seems like ground accidents might be surpassing in-air accidents.

The only thing I can think of is to write a short 'brochure' on ground safety and make it available as a free download from GyroWiki and the PRA web site.

Sellers could include it with the sale of gyros, new owners could download it.

Does anyone else have any ideas. That's all I have.

Great idea Tim!!!
We got a lot of good projects we need more volunteers, guys!

How about a Forum at our Events?

How about a Forum at our Events?

Tim,

We could make that one of the Forum topics at each of our Events. I would suspect there would be enough interest in the topic to get a lot of people thinking more about it. The forum could include a list of accidents that have happened and suggestions on different ways to handle the situation that could have prevented the accident. I would sure go to something like that and I would think newbies to our sport would be interested in that also. If someone could work up a presentation it could be put into a power point presentation and then sent around to all the chapters. It could be given at chapter meetings and presented at as a Forum topic at Events.

Gyro Doug

Right on Doug!
Accident reports is one of our online projects for the new content section open to the public!
We would love to post this on Gyro-wiki and PRA site too.

Now this is productive! Yes, once the document is created, each club can get it to the new guys and at each event it could be revisited for the good of all.

Way to go guys!

Guys, I agree with you completely, and found accident reports of great value in deciding whether I was comfortable with the extent to which I could control my own risks if I learned to fly.

But I have to mention that in the past, an emphasis on accident analysis in Rotorcraft was blamed by some for hurting both sponsorships and the sport at large. This needs to be approached properly to provide those wishing to learn the info that will help them, but not scare prospective pilots and their spouses so badly that they freak out and stay away.

I studied accident reports, literally, every day for months trying to figure out what really kills people. The NTSB says something like 80 percent of all fatals are caused by pilot error, but after reading all those accident reports, I think that's low.

Others look at accident reports and see only the outcomes, not the lessons in how to avoid them.

Nt to put to fine a piont on this but of the PIC is responsible for everything being good to go.... barring a rare event, it would seem almost everything would be pilot error.

I suggest again that if everyone with a video camera made a 1-2 min video on some aspect of their flight routine or safety procedures and sent them in (for vetting) we would quickly have a valuable library of how to and how not to videos. Not fancy stuff - just right to camera.

Nt to put to fine a piont on this but of the PIC is responsible for everything being good to go.... barring a rare event, it would seem almost everything would be pilot error.

I suggest again that if everyone with a video camera made a 1-2 min video on some aspect of their flight routine or safety procedures and sent them in (for vetting) we would quickly have a valuable library of how to and how not to videos. Not fancy stuff - just right to camera.
Yaw Mon, now your talk'n!!!!!

PS:
Rob
I'm going to add that to the project list, thanks for reminding me.

This "brouchure" suggestion is a good idea.

One item that still amazes me even today is how many will spend time (some times hours never intending to fly) tweaking and working around an unsecured machine (not tied down, but some even with just wheel chocks).
A secure tie down is one little precaution (maybe even just chained to the trailer hitch on your vehicle) which can really be a life saver. I've read of so many injured when the machine gets up and moves...sometimes right into the person.
A buddy system is good too.
All the suggestions One can employ can only help keep disaster away.

M-M

Ok,

Here are some draft points. Please give feedback.

Also, if anyone has photos of people working around gyros please post them.

Idea: Make a safety sheet / brochure with descriptions of real accidents and a CHECKLIST of things to do before doing a ground run-up.

-Generally craft should be tied down

-Keep testing away from other aircraft

-Do not operate aircraft engine if you or a responsible person does not have a hand ON the kill switch at ALL times.

-The throttle is NOT a kill switch

-chocks are meant to keep parked aircraft in place from wind, not for engine operations.

-Tie down, even if you have 2 people when ever running engine above idle.

-Remember that the prop is invisible when running

-Pre-flight the aircraft just as you would before flying

-Remove loose objects from cockpit

-Check throttle and kill switch linkage and connections before operations

-Be ready on brakes, even if aircraft is tied down.

-Keep people away from work area, be sure no bystanders are present.

-Helpers should know what to do in-case of mishap.

Comments? Ideas?

Attachments

• Tim's 2-place run-up.jpg
    Tim's 2-place run-up.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ChrisSxS.jpg
    ChrisSxS.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Good start Tim...

Here's one:
Keep the machine a minimum of the "rotor disc diameter plus" away from buildings or any stationary objects when spinning up Rotors.
(Obvious...but some don't bother to double check).
Make sure BEFORE they start spinning that all bystanders are at least THAT far away, and no more than TWO standing under the center area of the disc at one time.

Last edited:
- Always assume a propeller is just about to start spinning. That way, you won't be hurt if it does.

- Assume that pilots of other aircraft on ramps and taxiways can't see you, or aren't even looking.

- Resist complacency. Maintain positive control of the aircraft at all times. It can kill you at walking speed, or even standing still.

- If you do lose control of the aircraft while not aboard, let it go, don't chase it. It'll stop soon enough. Property damage is trivial compared to the injury you might receive.

- Learn enough first aid to treat yourself or another pilot for a prop or rotor strike. Call for emergency services first, then check ABC, try to stop bleeding, treat for shock.

Another habit to get into is NEVER walk through the prop arc, even when doing engine off maintenance, treat the prop like a gun, (it is never unloaded), The prop is never safe, and don't turn the prop unless the spark plug wire are disconnected, and never step behind the main wheels while the engine is running.
And for Gods sake don't ever work on a running engine unless it is tied down!

Always wear your seatbelt even if just taxiing, put your helmet on too.

-Tie down, even if you have 2 people when ever running engine above idle.

That should really be for every engine run, it is unexpected full throttle when you think it will be at idle that will kill you.

-Be ready on brakes, even if aircraft is tied down.

Ideally you would want the brakes on, failure of a tie down will be a sudden and violent event that will take you by suprise.

What you are producing here is basically a Safety Management System, these are now mandatory for Commercial operators. It is an excellent way to save life and reduce costs by warning everyone of the dangers.
Ideally it should extend to flying too, even the ones that say "don't tell me what to do" will be better informed by the simple fact we have brought the dangers to their attention. Shhhh don't tell them we are educating them they don't like that. :lol:

If you are flying a Sparrowhawk or an RAF always check the throttle position before starting the engine.

Both these machines have the throttle lever low below the pilots leg. It can not be seen when the pilot is seated in the aircraft. I have had a few occasions where the pilot or passenger getting in moves the throttle forward accidentally.

The pilot needs to reach down and check it before starting the engine. It needs to be part of the pre-start check list on all gyros. Not just Sparrowhawks or RAF's.

Great input!

Tomorrow I will start putting it together in a document and post draft.

Keep posting!

Always purchase and use FRESH fuel when planning to fly...run the machine close to dry or at least very very low so you can top off with fresh the next flight.
Use a "Mr. Funnel" on all refueling to insure quality fuel is going in.

Try to always use a "buddy system" when planning to go out and fly. Bring an Adult as your primary "partner" and give 'em a Video camera (to keep 'em busy and so you get yourself some great shots) but primarily to aid you should the worst ever occur. (May God forbid)

Make certain they are briefed and have a ready made contact card of "Emergency" phone numbers IN HAND and a Cell Phone before you even start and fuel your machine.
Carry a "field" first aid kit in your vehicle and make sure that it's readily accessible just in case.
(Better: put it in a small back pack the "Partner" keeps nearby)

M-M

Always purchase and use FRESH fuel when planning to fly...run the machine close to dry or at least very very low so you can top off with fresh the next flight.

M-M

Hello Mike, it is my opinion that a nearly empty tank promotes condensation.

Thank you, Vance

Tim,
Thank you for putting the effort into this. It is very worthwhile to try and reduce any accident or incident on the ground.

From my relatively limited experience flying gyroplanes, an incident on the ground is the phase of operation of a gyroplane that really worries me. Its just too easy to have a runaway aircraft, or your or somebody elses head taken off with a spinning rotor.

My worry is that the people most at risk of an incident on the ground will not read the code of practise.

They know better.

I think that there are a few things that we can do to make it safer,

One of the things that may be worthwhile is to set up a short PRA Attitude and Decision Making course that is completed by the student during training with their Instructor.

This short course informs the student on possible hazardous attitudes and decisions made by pilots of gyroplanes which may cause the death of themselves or others.

The Instructor has informed the student and should reasonably expect that the student will conduct themselves safely with the new information gained. If the student does not seem to take the safety of themselves and others, and the reputation of all gyroplane pilots seriously they have no business in the sport.

You will also find that the students attitude to the course and content will give the instructor an insight into the suitability of the student to safe gyroplane flying.

The instructor can decide then to continue training or ask the student to take up a more suitable pastime.

Links:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/product/decision.html

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/systemsafety/pubs/pdm/menu.htm

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA260695

http://www.sjflight.com/images/propwatcher.pdf

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa06.pdf

http://www.procockpit.com/mission-flight.htm

And a propeller safety quiz:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/asfquiz/quizzes.cfm?SA=Quizzes&QuizId=72&WT.mc_id=&wtmcid;&WT.mc_sect=sap

Paddy

Last edited:
This might be going abit too far, but for those machines that use a clutch on the redrive it might be advantagous to PLACE SAFETY CONES BEHIND THE MAIN GEAR when starting up. The prop doesn't spin immediately on engine start-up, which is good for the engine but bad for a stupid unseen bystander.

All accidents are "pilot error" one way or another simply by over-looking something. Failure to maintain control; failure to thoroughly pre-flight; failure to not do this or not do that. Nobody is perfect, so accidents happen.