Government Intervention

asmuzsr

Aircraft
RAF2000 with stab
Total Flight Time
Well AOPA now says user fees are on this administrations agenda along with every thing else. Begining to wonder,,, is it really worthwhile to build another ship only to not be able to fly in a couple of years because of restrictions and cost.
Opinions anyone?

I say build away. But be sure to assist with write in campaigns as well as participate in as many "alphabet" orgs as you can.

User fees will still be way less expensive than fuel. I say go for it.

User fees wouldn't have to be the end of the world. Canada has users fees, and it's a very modest, fixed, annual cost per year for light aircraft, about what it costs to be a member of PRA. Their system is privatized, separated financially from the government, so the user fees go only into the air traffic control system.

Here in the US, it's a mess as currently proposed. The government wants user fees, but still wants air traffic control under a government agency. There will be none of the incentives provided by privatization, so we'll become just another pot from which to grab cash. The current administration has made it clear it views all non-airline flight as a wasteful indulgence, (except for its own,) and has campaigned on a promise to sock it to the wealthy. This looks bad.

But we'll still fly, right?

Last edited:
Well he didn't spell it out, but his last speech told us he was going to raise the taxes on oil now to offset the higher cost of producing the new alternative energy in the future. You had to really be paying attention to figure this one out.
He knows it will cost more to buy only alternative electricity so I guess his thinking is:

That way we all including the very poor will be used to paying higher electric bills now and the tax on oil will artificially increase its cost too and that will offset these higher costs of the new system we are building. Why can't Americans just use cheaper nuclear energy like the French?

He did NOT say he wanted to ONLY tax heating oil, or natural gas or only oil that is used by energy producing companies. We will have to wait and see what the Democrats who are in complete control think should be taxed to even the playing field of the increase cost of producing alternative energy.

Taxes and the cost of doing business will be going up here too it seems to me!

Last edited:
is it really worthwhile to build another ship only to not be able to fly in a couple of years because of restrictions and cost.

"Over? Nothing's over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Seriously -- this administration wants user fees. So did the last one. So did the one before that. Now, these guys (and the last few months of the last guys) have squandered so much money, and are continuing to squander so much money, that it's going to hurt everybody (and everybody's grandchildren and great-grandchildren). This year, about 139 million Americans are paying taxes (and about 205 million, apparently including Congress and the Cabinet, are not). The trend is for fewer and fewer tax payers to carry more and more tax eaters.

So we might ultimately lose the user fee battle. Obama says he will only tax couples making over $250k, but if he took every penny that every $250k and up earner makes -- a tax rate of 100% -- it still wouldn't pay off his stimulus and Bush's TARP bills, let alone the new bills coming down the pike.

The economy is a mess because capital is on strike. Capital is on strike because those that have it (mostly smallholders with pension money, etc). fear that it will be lost or, now, confiscated. but they can't win by hanging on to it -- it will just be taxed away via inflation eroding the value of any held savings.

Still... what are we going to do? NOT fly? Never. Today I flew for the first time since.. uh... yesterday. (And I had to go back and land, and drive to my destination instead, due to weather. An hour and a half of pleasant flying turned into a five and a half hour ordeal on the highways).

I'd be a lot richer if I'd never flown, at least in money terms. But what's the point in hanging on to money? The government wants to take it and blow it on welfare leeches, handouts to billionaires ($1B for Paul Allen in the "stimulus" -- why?), and $600 toilet seats anyway, so I might as well blow it flying, before the IRS's payroll patriots get their grubby mitts on it. And who considers the world in money terms? In any of the terms that matter, I'd be a lot poorer if I didn't fly. Sure, I'd have a boatload more dollars, but I'd be a pauper.

So build it, Tony. You know you want to. You know you need to. You know it is the right thing to do.

cheers

-=K=-

Well it seems everyone wanted a change.

Old saying be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Seems to me you got it.

I'll grant you this, he is a real slick talker.

"Over? Nothing's over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Seriously -- this administration wants user fees. So did the last one. So did the one before that. Now, these guys (and the last few months of the last guys) have squandered so much money, and are continuing to squander so much money, that it's going to hurt everybody (and everybody's grandchildren and great-grandchildren). This year, about 139 million Americans are paying taxes (and about 205 million, apparently including Congress and the Cabinet, are not). The trend is for fewer and fewer tax payers to carry more and more tax eaters.

So we might ultimately lose the user fee battle. Obama says he will only tax couples making over $250k, but if he took every penny that every $250k and up earner makes -- a tax rate of 100% -- it still wouldn't pay off his stimulus and Bush's TARP bills, let alone the new bills coming down the pike.

The economy is a mess because capital is on strike. Capital is on strike because those that have it (mostly smallholders with pension money, etc). fear that it will be lost or, now, confiscated. but they can't win by hanging on to it -- it will just be taxed away via inflation eroding the value of any held savings.

Still... what are we going to do? NOT fly? Never. Today I flew for the first time since.. uh... yesterday. (And I had to go back and land, and drive to my destination instead, due to weather. An hour and a half of pleasant flying turned into a five and a half hour ordeal on the highways).

I'd be a lot richer if I'd never flown, at least in money terms. But what's the point in hanging on to money? The government wants to take it and blow it on welfare leeches, handouts to billionaires ($1B for Paul Allen in the "stimulus" -- why?), and $600 toilet seats anyway, so I might as well blow it flying, before the IRS's payroll patriots get their grubby mitts on it. And who considers the world in money terms? In any of the terms that matter, I'd be a lot poorer if I didn't fly. Sure, I'd have a boatload more dollars, but I'd be a pauper.

So build it, Tony. You know you want to. You know you need to. You know it is the right thing to do.

cheers

-=K=-

Don't forget he also proposes to tax out ssi.again! If he taxes SSI I will have to apply for food stamps!:puke:

My sister,who by the way is a Aussie, sent this to me.

The preisdents name is a acronym;

O one
B big
A ass
M mistake
A america

I do believe that she is right !

cheers

-=K=-
Yes you know I want to. So let it be done. See you all at Bensen Days.

OK guys...personally I feel theese threads & posts are a waste of bandwidth. I don't know a damn thing about bandwith or how much we have, but it seems funny that in 10 posts, we have completely duplicated several through the use of the quote button.

Do we really need to reproduce over & over something that I have already read ?

Anybody with me on this ?

OK guys...personally I feel theese threads & posts are a waste of bandwidth. I don't know a damn thing about bandwith or how much we have, but it seems funny that in 10 posts, we have completely duplicated several through the use of the quote button.

Do we really need to reproduce over & over something that I have already read ?

Anybody with me on this ?

Absolutely! :lol:

(no really, I try to edit my quotations.. but not everyone is comfortable doing that)

Bandwidth: The term used by your ISP in hopes that you wont ask how much throughput you will get...

DON'T ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN !

Do you want to pay a fee everytime you land at a public airport? And how many user fees will you pay for touch and go's"?

Obama isn't the last word on this. Contact your senators and congressmen to object. tell them you are firmly against user fees, and you vote, and you ;et your opinion be known to others.

The bulk of expense of operating our ATC system is a benefit for commercial airlines (and their passengers). And, surely, one operation of a single engine airplane with a pilot and one passenger is not equal to one operation of an airliner and its 290 passengers.

All it takes to pass such a measure is for good people to do nothing.