Where have all the "magic bushings" gone?

reelmule

Reelmule
Aircraft
Beech Baron C55; Piper PA 18 Super Cub; RAF 2000 gyroplane
Total Flight Time
5,000+ hrs;
Does anyone have the rubber mast bushings for sale for the RAF? Availabiliity, not cost is my concern. my hangermate Cal has been talking to RAFSA without much success. He says he is being quoted $200.freight for 4 lbs--I find that hard to believe.
Has anyone tried any substitue materials for the vulcanized rubber? There must be some shock absorbing materials from old cars that could be modified to work. Does anyone have an estimate on the amount of movement the bushing should absorb? Not being a true builder (my only "build") was to rivet and bolt my RAF together I'm afraid I am over looking the obvious. I think I recall Jim Logan remarking that he didn't think the rubber bushing was even necessary. Come on, help me guys.

They are not that "magic". Chuck B. came up with a solution. Hopefully he will see this post and reply.

Do you have a picture of it?

I made up molds for making RAF mast bushings. The last I heard, they were in the possession of Rudy Graffeo in Louisiana.

Hi Walter

Many years ago when I worked in maintainance in a factory, we used a product called "FLEXANE OR FLEXAYNE" to repair large cuts on forktruck wheel. In the advertisement they even showed an entire rubber wheel cast from this material.

It was GOOD STUFF and did what they said it would do. Don't know if it is still available, but a simple mold of the outside diameter with a tubular bushing set in the middle should not be hard to make, then just peal the outside mold off. It was a liquid material black in color.

Tony

PS it isn't cheap but neither were the forktruck wheels

If the molds are found and someone can vulcanize the bushings, I'd want one, maybe two.

I think other RAF owners would be interested also.

Tommy

Thanks for all the help guys. I especially like the Flexane suggestion. I believe the heat is our main enemy here in AZ. We removed Cal's bushing yesterday and it was partially melted and gooey. It stuck to your fingers! This is why his mast had moved beyond the full back position and there was alot of cabin hop. Temp only 112*!! I,d post a pic but thats beyond my pay grade.

Thanks for all the help guys. I especially like the Flexane suggestion. I believe the heat is our main enemy here in AZ. We removed Cal's bushing yesterday and it was partially melted and gooey. It stuck to your fingers! This is why his mast had moved beyond the full back position and there was alot of cabin hop. Temp only 112*!! I,d post a pic but thats beyond my pay grade.
Walt, the original RAF bushings appear to have been made from a 2-part polyurethane compound typically used for “potting” electronic components.

Bushings properly vulcanized from tire rubber ought to outlast the rest of the gyro. I don't expect that Arizona heat melts the tires on your car.

Paul Bruty mentioned some time back that he had found an automotive bushing that would fit; sway bar bushing or something like that. Perhaps he’ll chime in or you can PM him.

Chuck,This bushing was whiteish-yellow in color and supposedly RAf'S improved model. The earlier ones were black as I recall. You're correct, our tires don't melt in the heat, but over all tire life is significantly shortened. I recently had a trailer tire that looked to be new but when it blew it looked like it had been put thru a wood chipper. Probably age and heat.
Paul, do you recall which automotive bushing fit?? Thanks for the help.

Chuck,This bushing was whiteish-yellow in color and supposedly RAf'S improved model. The earlier ones were black as I recall. You're correct, our tires don't melt in the heat, but over all tire life is significantly shortened. I recently had a trailer tire that looked to be new but when it blew it looked like it had been put thru a wood chipper. Probably age and heat.
Paul, do you recall which automotive bushing fit?? Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately I don't, BUT I will email the guy who used to have that RAF and see if he made a note of it. It had a metal sleeve in the center for the bolt to go thru. I went to an auto store with my vernier and searched thru all the suspension rubbers they had in stock until I found one the correct dimensions.

Aussie Paul. :)

Dofin Fritts in Molino, FL has RAF replacement mast bushings. I just purchased one from him a few weeks ago. His phone is 850-587-2504

Paul, Now I know it exists I'll try you method. Probably one of the foreign parts suppliers would be a good starting point.

Tom, Thanks. I should have thought of calling Dolfin. He was my primary instructor and he DOES NOT lurk on the Forum.

Mr Walter,
I still have the mold Mr Chuck made.
If you can wait until next week I can make you one, I need to get some more rubber.

Rudy, Thanks for the kind offer but I have sourced 3 from other members so Cal and I should be good for some time.

Rudy, just go to the vending machine in the bathroom. Isn't that the quality of rubber you used the last time you made a majic bushing?( sorry about that but that was a wide opening)

Paul Bruty mentioned some time back that he had found an automotive bushing that would fit;

Walt, i used shackle rubbers from an MQ Nissan, fits perfect.

bushing source

bushing source

Hey Walt,

I just received a reply from the injection molding company in Tx and they quoted me a price of $10.25/bushing+a $35. mold set-up fee if I order 10 bushings. They guarntee a match on the shore(duramater) rating and better quality than the original that I sent to them. They said a two week delivery time from the date of order conformation.

So, if you or anyone else needs a bushing let me know. The price is $13.75+$5 for shipping.

Best Regards

Paul Patterson CFI
Edmond, OK