Winter Flying in Ory-gun

Gary_in_Orygun

Ex-RAF 2000 Driver
I haven't posted much for a while. I found out that my cell phone can take some not-too-bad photos, so I'll post them here.

Yesterday I played hookey from work in the afternoon since we had a break from the rain (50's and sunny after the fog broke).

1. Blurry picture of GPS showing a ground speed of 71 mph. There was a 10-15mph wind coming from the NE, which made flying around the hills too bumpy for my taste. I eventually climbed to 2500 ft, above the rotors coming over the west-side Chehalem Mt.
  2. A view or our nice, green countryside. Lots of soggy ground and full streams and rivers.
  3. A low area north of Salem that fills with water during the rainy season. I got down to 800 ft in the flats.
  4. Another view of same. This part of the Willamette valley is pretty flat, relatively speaking.

Attachments

• 2009_02_17_1412a.jpg
    2009_02_17_1412a.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2009_02_17_1412b.jpg
    2009_02_17_1412b.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2009_02_17_1517a.jpg
    2009_02_17_1517a.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2009_02_17_1517b.jpg
    2009_02_17_1517b.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  1. Mt Hood is visible in the distance (along with some bug smears on the windscreen in the foreground)
  2. Another view of the GPS along with the airspeed indicator. My airspeed indicator reads 7MPH high, which means I'm actually going 53MPH (airspeed). If you can read the GPS, my groundspeed is 41.9, meaning an 11 MPH headwind. Other data you can get from the GPS: I'm enroute to my homebase at Lenhardt, elevation 164 ft. (MULticom radio freq. of 122.90). ETE is 14 minutes at a BRG (bearing) of 019, and a DST (distance) of 9.7 miles.
  3. Self-portrait. I tried getting a picture of my right leg extended over to the co-pilot-side right rudder pedal. (didn't turn out.) I had been up for more than 1.5 hours at this point and got a cramp in my right leg. I found I felt pretty comfortable with my leg stretched over to that side. I just had to make sure I didn't bump the co-pilot side throttle.

Attachments

• 2009_02_17_1518a.jpg
    2009_02_17_1518a.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2009_02_17_1520a.jpg
    2009_02_17_1520a.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2009_02_17_1527c.jpg
    2009_02_17_1527c.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
Hi Gary!

Missed you at the PRA meeting but was given your contact info as a local to me (Salem). Great photos and the WX has been beautiful yesterday and today... Heading down to Heli-Expo tomorrow. I'll get in touch sometime next week.

Mike

Gary- Nice pictures. I always enjoy your part of the world and your nice gyro. Stan

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing

Gary,
I really enjoy reading your posts and have frequented the PRA73 website to see whats happening out in Oregon. Your PRA chapter is very impressive, I hope we can get something similar going out here in Virginia. I travel occasionally to Seattle on business and would enjoy dropping by Scappoose to visit both the PRA chapter and Sportcopter.

Gary,
I really enjoy reading your posts and have frequented the PRA73 website to see whats happening out in Oregon. Your PRA chapter is very impressive, I hope we can get something similar going out here in Virginia. I travel occasionally to Seattle on business and would enjoy dropping by Scappoose to visit both the PRA chapter and Sportcopter.

Thanks for the nice words.

Our PRA73 chapter is just hanging on by the dedication of a couple core individuals, our president Bob Johnson, our vice president Jim Miller, and our current newsletter editor, Kevin Richey. I take care of the website.

We used to have multiple candidates for elected officers. Now it is a "please, please...will anyone accept the job?" situation.

I have gotten to the point where I only attend meetings if I can fly to them. That is my main draw. Since I sit at the computer all day long, it is not a big deal for me to keep up the website. But we sure could use some new blood in our group that would be willing to "do". We are burning out our core group.
I guess this is not an uncommon situation in these kinds of clubs.

So, I hope that we can continue to keep this group running, but it is not without challenges.

Nice Dash! Way green for winter!

Gary,

Nice pics, it's a pleasure to see something green on the ground this time of year!

Get yourself a computer desk seat cushion like I did, and you won't get leg cramps any more. Right after I bought mine, I took a two-hour flight, and had no leg stiffness at all.

They're called memory foam seat cushions, available at Office Depot. Some of the best money I've spent on my gyro lately.