Helicycle-- Hoverings & Happenings

Heres avideo of me taking off yesteday into a strong breeze. Right at lift off...I am in the wind shadow of my row of Blue Spruce trees. I carefully hovered sideways while pointing into the wind...until I had a straight shot out.

There was a lot of buffeting..but the Helicycle plowed right through it.

My external camera mount is a tad shakey...but I am working on improving that.

YouTube - September5 015

Stan

Tim- Here is a steep aproach landing I did. Again...I am pointied into some gusty wind around 20 mph, and there is a lot of turbulence around my trees...and even at altiitude.

I purposely stayed to the right of the circle so I could be in cleaner air...then once I got into ground effect..I crept over into my circle. There was a lot of turbulence there as I was hovering......but it made it fun to control it.

YouTube - September5 010

Stan

Stan

Heli pad. You will still burn the grass even tho you have a circle drawn on the (now) dirt.

Glad you are having soo much fun. Like I have already said, I'm jealous. But glad for you too. 2 and 1/2 years you have been the model of patience. I wonder if I can convert my RAF so that it will hover. Just kidding. Keep posting the pics and I will learn how to pull the collective. LOL

Looking GOOD!

Looking GOOD!

Stan, it's great to see you doing your thing again.

When I saw the vidio of the first start up, I don't know why, but that was quite an emotional experience for me! Maybe I have become too involved in your project, but that start up almost brought tears to my eyes! :hail:

Helicopters are notoriously known for having both hands on the collective and cyclic....leaving one hand only to itch your nose or flip a switch.

Here is a 20 second video....its still breezy out...and my hand is off the collective....cyclic and pedals.....It can fly for almost a minute without adjustment. I ONLY did this for a demonstration.

I also had a radio check...and this is the first time my radio was heard loud and clear more than 2 miles. The aircraft was 15 miles away and he said I was very clear.

YouTube - September5 021

Stan

Stan, I think you just sold a bunch of Helicycles!

Stan,

I just checked out all of your videos! Excellenct job. Looks like a lot of fun. Love the rotor barking! My wife said my blades were poping today when i was hovering over her at 600 feet :)

Ed- Thanks! It is great to be flying again. I absolutely love this machine. ..................................Larry- glad you liked my landing. I won't be a pro for a long long time. I have lots to learn. ......................................................Birdy- You of all people don't need a collective. I am mesmerized with what you do with a gyro. I need a collective to do part of what you can. You sir are one impressive pilot, and a SCG, which means a sophisticated cow grower...........................................ylf- I do believe I will influence more sales, even though there isn't anything in it for me, except to help Eagle R&D continue selling this fantastic kit helicopter.........................................Wayne- I am building turbine time. My goal is to fly the life medical helicopter at the hospital my daughter works at-------yea right, just kidding......................................................Grant- thanks. I love barking blades on gyros and helos! Stan

Stan, I don't know what to say. I guess a few of the other guys already said what I'm feeling, which is that after watching you go through this whole process and finally reap the reward it is just awe inspiring. As many others have said, I wish you all the joy and happy flight hours that you so well dererve. It's truly a beautiful thing.

Rick- Thanks so much...and I wish you the same on your beautiful creation!

Here is what I feel is my best video yet. The tail end of it you can see the little square woods I am approaching...then flying over. You can see my shop...the "hole" and the chopper channel I fly in and out of. I have to capture and share the view going in and out of the chopper channel. The trees racing by as I fly out above 10 feet so as to clear any jumping deer.. I dont know why I am not talking into the camera....its quiet in the cabin.

YouTube - September5 020

Stan

Last edited:
you are having way to much fun Stan... wow hands off flight... shhhaaaa your not supposed to let civie know that Helicopters are easy to fly...lol.

that hands off flight,just shows how well you built that machine.

But then again,we would expect no less for the master craftsman that you are.

Heres a video of lifting off...and flying out my chopper channel. Excuse the too low of angle I had set on my camera. I am hauling butt down through that channel with a very pronounced forward tilt of the helicopter. I am at over 10 feet to clear any jumping deer that may ramble across.

The mount for the camera isnt too bad...its out in the windstream and does get buffeted. That instrument pod doesnt move at all.....its smooth as glass sitting n that cabin. Watching my video feels like I am going down a dirt road! Most of my videos will be inside the cabin from now on.

YouTube - September5 018

Stan

Last edited:
Finely a longer video... :) it's looking good Stan. yep will be a winter shortage of K-1 in Paxton this year..lmao

that is one sweet machine you have built, how far was that airport from your house?

What does your fuel burn look like, Stan? Have you got a feel for that yet?

Jon- I havent really checked yet....but it probably will be around 12 to 13. It takes as much fuel hovering as it does going 110 mph.....so if I am going somewhere....I am going fast....

My SparrowHawk burned 9 gallons going 80 mph. That was 8.8 miles per gallon. This can get there much quicker at slightly less than 8.4 miles per gallon. Of course hovering its sucking just as much fuel...but my god...this that is the best part...and feeling that smooth power back there with no cooling system needed....and just loafing at a never changing pitch makes the extra fuel burn miniscule in the big picture.

Last edited:
Great Videos, thanks for posting. I didn't know that helicopters could be so stable.

Kai.

Kai- Glad you like the videos. More will be coming that are handheld, and inside the cabin. That camera is getting buffeted a lot outside the cabin, and. The videos look like the cabin is shaking. In reality, its the smoothest rototcraft I have my hands on. ............................... I don't know where most people get the idea that you can barely scratch your nose , or swith channels in a helicopter. The R22 could be flown with the collective friction on for a long time without your hand on it. Of course that collective must be attended to immediately if the engine quits. I could say the Helicycle can fly hands and feet free for awhile, but a lot of people won't believe it unless they see it on video.. That's why I posted it. Another stigma I intend to prove wrong is that I will be wrenching on this more than I fly it. All I can say is if I have the same luck the average Helicycle pilot has, I will be spending just a fraction of the time maintaining it. Sure, I could have an engine require work, as my Sparrow:awk did, but its very unlikely. Time will tell. Stan