A Gyro Aircraft Carrier??

Duck and Cover

Duck and Cover

I've taught my teenage sons to immediately Duck and Cover whenever any of the following phrases are heard:

"I saw this on TV!"
"Watch this!"
"Bet I can!"
and the perennial favorite...
"Here, hold my beer!"

Somehow I think landing on a catamaran fits that category.

Somehow I think landing on a catamaran fits that category.

I agree. The boat just was not large enough for that. But it was fun just trying to figure out how to do it.

It would have required a highly modified gyro to pull it off, more so than the boat. I came away from that thought exercise with some ideas to apply to gyros in the future though.

What killed the boat deal was the fact that it was going to cost $10,000 to $15,000 every year or two just to haul out the boat for maintenance, repairs etc., due to its width. The cost to do the actual repairs are in addition to that.

I'm working on another catamaran deal in Cape Coral, FL. Its smaller at 56" with a 20" beam. No gyro landing pad planned or contemplated.

Last edited:
Altitude is my friend when I fly over large expanses of water or night flying over unlit terrain!!

You’re right about the highly modified gyro at lest the landing gear or maybe a computerized hydraulic gimbaled runway system that’s always level and after touchdown changes to become slightly uphill?

PS:
I've been trying to figure out how I could SAFELY do just that on a 67' Lagoon catamaran. No joy!

PS:
You might be able to a make a stable heli pad though? Stan?

Last edited:
In my case, a more practical solution would be a tractor gyro designed for use with floats and land/takeoff in the waterway. Then hoist the gyro onto the rear deck, like an aerial dingy. It could be towed behind the boat like a dingy thingy too.

Try this one...

Try this one...

Hi all,
Let me have some fun with Ron's idea.
I sent my design shown here to join conceptboat.com annual boat competition in 2005.
It intended to be DIY boat no matter what scale it is.
In this case gyro can T/O and L/D easily.Try it.

Have fun.

Attachments

• suvit-conceptboat2005-4-view.jpg
    suvit-conceptboat2005-4-view.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
In my case, a more practical solution would be a tractor gyro designed for use with floats and land/takeoff in the waterway. Then hoist the gyro onto the rear deck, like an aerial dingy. It could be towed behind the boat like a dingy thingy too.
Friends and I have lost a lot of dingy towing them behind the boat. The line chafes when the sea comes up and bye, bye dink!

But I did see a flying gyro it was basically a zodiac = fling boat! I wondered about it's stability at time now I really know to worry as even I remember it was not CTL!

Our solution is to ship all the toys in containers to a major port and pick then up there. Then ship them to the next port. Just have lots of insurance for damage or theft. I’ve had to replace 4 Seado’s from two events so far from theft. That’s not a bad ratio in my case and I got new toys. It just suck waiting for them to be replaced.

With the high cost of fuel this summer, I see more and more yaght owners staying in port and having gyro fly-in parties. :lol:

Attachments

• rising-sun-yacht2.jpg
    rising-sun-yacht2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi all,
Let me have some fun with Ron's idea.
I sent my design shown here to join conceptboat.com annual boat competition in 2005.
It intended to be DIY boat no matter what scale it is.
In this case gyro can T/O and L/D easily.Try it.

Have fun.

Here is a link to a pontoon kit with up to 60' long by 46" diameter aluminum pontoons for starting such a project. I've had this link on my computer for at least a year with this thought in mind.

http://www.pithpontoonkits.com/BoatKits.ivnu

Use two kits to build a 140-150' long boat. Put living quarters below the "runway". Use 2 small diesels mounted in the pontoons for propulsion. Travel the coastal waters and inland waterways and live cheaply.

Ron,

Just change your name to Chum-E and everything will be fine.

Oh and tell the wife to up the insurance policies and when it's done to expect a few hard legs to come buy lookin to get her remarried ASAP.

It's usually your close friends that'll try to slide in there first when your gone.

If you got kids I'm sure they will treated quite well by New Daddy.

Sure, the military did it, but with expendible lives.

Just comes down to how much you value your life. I guess.