RAF the sleekest, least pricey of the two place

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
I must say that I really like my RAF gyro. The time was when these three letters would bring people out of the wood work. There is still a lot who condemn the unmodified version. I have modified mine and I find my RAF very docile and the fun factor is off the chart. I don't believe dollar for dollar one can beat this Gyro. I have modified mine because I am a newbie, therefore I need more help keeping it straight and not porpoising. My gyro just looks good and flys great. I have not regretted my purchase and I would do it again. This is why I am saying it is sleek and less money. If you can find one of these get it, mod it, then enjoy the best little cross country gyro you can get for the money. 6 gallon per hour fuel burn at about 80 mph.

Last edited:
Thom, are you going to Mentone? If you are, are you bringing your gyro?

Yes Mike I am going to Mentone. I pulled it last year and had a terrible time of it The wind almost beat it to death. So no I'm not.

See you there Thom, it'll be great to meet you.

If Murray comes this year he brings a gazebo with the Canadian Oak leaf on it. I normally stay aroung there. See ya there.

6 gallon per hour fuel burn at about 80 mph.

RAF's also enjoy a large fuel tank don't they?

At cruise I'll bet you can do better than 6/hr with that EJ-22 and a CC-pitched prop.

Had two RAF's and enjoyed them both. Good to hear your having so much fun flying yours.

Thom, if that's the case, you should leave the trailer home and fly it there! ;)

If I was the only one going this year I would Paul. But we are making a vacation out of it and my wife and grandsons are all going. Me to Mentone and the boys to all the other places she wants to go.

RAF's also enjoy a large fuel tank don't they?

At cruise I'll bet you can do better than 6/hr with that EJ-22 and a CC-pitched prop.

I would love to have an in flight adjustable prop or constant speed. I wonder if it would be cost effective.

I would love to have an in flight adjustable prop or constant speed. I wonder if it would be cost effective.

Stan put one on his sparrowHawk FI EJ-25. He recorded some performance info.

Not the same as your setup but worth looking into I think.

Thom- You have a nice machine....and also your drop keel mod is another plus. I enjoyed flying mine...and if I wasnt so infactuated with building rotorcraft, I would still be flying the one I had.

See ya at Mentone.:)

Stan

Fly it there Thom... the wife and kids can ride in the car and meet you there. Don't be a wuss! You said it was a great Cross country gyro

I really enjoyed mine too, but I need to follow in Stan's footsteps and build a helicopter - soooo, mine is for sale. If anyone is interested in one of the finest examples of an RAF 2000 in the country, contact me.

Walker

You might post an ad in the for sale section... Have any good pics to post?
Brad

Tom. How ya doing man!!!! I concur with your post. The modified RAF is a treat to fly and it will handle wind. I flew ahead of a storm to get bact to an airport a few weeks ago. The ground winds were 30 knots and 60 plus aloft. A little bumpy, but no pitch issues. You should have seen my landing. A hard bank into the wind and a steep descent with the power on. Set it on and dumped the pitch of the rotors. Finally got them stopped and taxied to a side of a hanger on the lee side of the wind. Phew!!! pucker power. Then the storm hit. Glad it was the RAF and not my LSA fixed wing.Got my ass soaked, but not waxed.

Requested Pics

Requested Pics

Here are some pictures of my Award Winning RAF 2000 GTX SS. EJ25, Sportcopter Blades, Apollo 360 GPS, Custom Panel, Kenny J Stab, Rudder Trim Tab, Encoding Transponder, ELT, etc....

I've also included a pic of the custom built trailer. It's 30' long and has stanchions for trailering with the blades on.

email or call if interested. Terry Davison and Randy Rogers have both flown it and can vouch for it's quality of build and it's fantastic flight characteristics.

Walker

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 3
That is a very nice RAF. Looks like you have paid close attention to detail. Do you have a price for it yet?