My New Gyro

danmcgee

Aircraft
Phantom, Zenair 701
Total Flight Time
Just thought I would post some pics of my new gyro. Its not new of course but new to me so thats all good.

I will be making a new tail group for it and updating the prerotator then it is ready to fly.

Dan

Attachments

• BumbleBee1.jpg
    BumbleBee1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • BumbleBee2.jpg
    BumbleBee2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0
  • BumbleBee3.jpg
    BumbleBee3.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 0
Dan, it looks like you have a angle drive prerotator. Could you give us more details plus close up pix of all the components plus what kid of angle drive it is?

Very cool Dan!

here are closeups of the prerot I will be getting rid of the belt system and changing it a gear system on the head all the rest will stay the same.

Dan

Attachments

• prerot 1.jpg
    prerot 1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
  • prerot 2.jpg
    prerot 2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • prerot 3.jpg
    prerot 3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
  • prerot 4.jpg
    prerot 4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
  • prerot 5.jpg
    prerot 5.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
I hope to start the rebuild next week so keep an eye out for updates to this thread from the strat of the rebuild to its first flight.

Dan

Thanks Dan, we need out building fix too you know!

Congrats on your new gyro, Dan. And best of God's blessings in your rebuild.

Dan am I right that you have now relocated to your new posting?

Did you manage to sell the Hornet you were building? Was it going to be a problem sending it up there? Did you have problems with it?

Just curious why you would have changed to the Bee?

I am presently trying to see if Nicolas can get our 12V prerotator system working as I am trying to get over to Orlando around mid month so we can try to get our bird finished.

Hope the new gyro works out well for you, any instructors around your new posting area

Happy 4th of July.

I am working for the new company now, the Army has requested that they leave me in place until Aug 3oth. I will have to be at Ft. Lee to teach the first class for class 1 explosives there. I think the problem is that at the moment there is only one of me in the country. They have hired a new guy that is now in school and then he will have 2 years of training with me then there will be 2 of us.

There is nothing wrong with my Hornet, the problem is space. Not so much of a big deal now Lisa's job will still be at APG for about 2 more years so it could stay. The Bee just happened to be conveniant. If I sell it I will build anouther you can count on that.

Dan

looks good Dan, Congrats

dabkb2 I am going to try and bring these back, build kits for them and the KB2 for thos eout there that is wanting to get into gyros. Got a plan for it now just got to make it happen and if your friend starts making the KB blades again it will work.

Dan

Wish you luck in the rebuild. Your Hornet was beautiful, sure the Bee will be also.

dabkb2 I am going to try and bring these back, build kits for them and the KB2 for thos eout there that is wanting to get into gyros. Got a plan for it now just got to make it happen and if your friend starts making the KB blades again it will work.

Dan
Hey Dave, could you get us an update on the guy who has the KB blade tooling?

That is great Dan, I am so glad to hear someone is trying to continue what Bensen started. I wish I could, but right now I can't see that happening. I have a vew parts, but I am sure that I will need something.

Here is a link to the thread about the blades, last I heard he was building them http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7389

Thanks Guys I hope to trad them out on monday so I can get the hardwear replaved and back to a fliable condition. Then will start the cool new paint schem and replacement of critical parts.

Dan

I got the plane here in my gerage today thanks to Jamie Cleary a friend pilot here on the forume. I got the tail removed and cleaned to give back to the original owner for his wall. I will take some detail pics as we go along for all to see.

Rebuild begines in the morning.

Dan

Ok after a very close inspection I found two bent bolts in the tail bbom and 70% or so of the rivets are all loose. I will be replacing all the hardwear. I have still not found the right color combination for this bird yet but we should have that dtermined by the end of the week. Then I should be posting updated pics of the rebuild.