Bell 47 ride at Homers

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
This is my first video attempt. I posted this on You tube. Its a 5 minute ride I took in a Bell 47 last weekend at Homers. This video will be a forerunner of many videos to come from helicopters. I want to get a bullet cam and be hands free as well. I would like to post my first solo R22 flight when I get there.

Its a little bit pixelated....any suggestions for better quality? like a different site to upload to?

Heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z5gzGMdMqM

Stan

Last edited:
Even watching helicopter’s flying is dangerous, as it makes you want to fly and buy one.
I can see why you get so excited after a lesson of free style especially.
Thanks that was really fun.
When I get to Mentone I’ll show you how to cut and paste so you can post it on PRA TV and not loose track of it.
Mentone is getting closer, and I find myself being as excited as when I was a kid waiting for Christmas and that hasn’t happen in many, many years.

PS:
I wish we had more helicopter pilots that posted stories and videos like yours Stan.

Last edited:
John: Flying helicopters is much more fun than I realized. I way under estimated the experience. I would like to pass on a little of what it is like. I will improve my resolution and find better links to not loose the quality.

Glad you like them and I will learn whatever you can teach me at Mentone. Thanks!

Stan

I think the Bell 47 plexiglass bubble is still "the best seat in the house" when it comes to visibility.

Great video Stan , one of my favorite instructors back in 1980 used to spend .75 hr on serious instruction and the last .25 low level obstacle flying like the video .... did I mention he was my favorite instructor ..... !!!

Was that Homer's 47 ? Did you get a chance to fly it a bit ? My guess is you would find it much easier than the R22 ... not as twitchy and control response is much more forgiving in the Bell.

As usual I have been following (and appreciating) all your posts for your stair business , your Helicycle build , your R22 lessons , your trip to Homer Bell's fly-in , Your hanger addition on your shop , your new grandchild .... and that is just what you did last week !!!! WHEW !!!

Many thanks Stan

Arnie

Last edited:
Arnie: Thanks for the comments...since I dont have a machine of my own to fly....I have lots of time to do other stuff...:)

That wasnt Homers Bell 47. Some guy was setup selling rides. I didnt touch the controls...just went along for a very exciting ride. I filmed every second of it...and this is the ride where I was floating in my seat on two occasions. The video in my computer is much less grainer and you can see the individual bean leaves passing under us. I wonder if the PRATV would be higher resolution? John...any comment ?

Stan

That looks like a lot of fun!!!!

No it's just a link to YouTube in the resolution you uploaded it. It's up to the user.
There is a high resolution checkbox but the user still has to publish the high resolution version so it's up to you.

Stan,
Good video. Youtube degrades the quality of the videos. I've tried several different formats and quality settings and they all get degraded.

Justin way cool. I got to see the flight line and the approach and no wonder stand likes quick stops.

I'm afraid I won't get very far in a helicopter as I'd be getting up to speed and then do a quick stop. Then back on my way about 100 yards and do another one and another one. I wouldn't get very far but boy would it be fun!

Justin: Nice video. The one I had of you flying was too far away and wasnt clear at all. Next time I will have to get up real close when I take it.

Stan

I got a chance to take and hour of instruction in a Bell 47 at Bensen Days one year. I haden't flown anything but an R-22 up until that time. What a difference, after lift off to a hover and holding it for awhile, the instructor said, "You don't need instruction, go have some fun" and boy did I ever!