Millennium Helicopters

At 18:00 on the first November McAlpine Helicopters were transferred to Eurocopter and became Eurocopter UK.
Eurocopter UK do not intend to make any changes ... just yet...

And what does this have to do with the Mini-500 kit built?

John- Congratulations on your yamachopper! Thats an accomplishment, and I can only imagine what engineering you had to go through to do this. Stan

I fully agree with Stan! I have yet to see a project that didn't take more time and money to complete than even a starting pessimistic business plan would indicate. Stuff happens……

Thanks Stan and Ed

This has been quiet a project and has been very costly at a bad time with the economy the way it is. At this point I have everything on the line can’t stop now it’s too late. I have come along way in a short time with very little money to work with. I have a lot invested in mast supports which I’m having a hard time figuring out why there not selling. After all they will be used on the new ship. All you read about was people crying because they couldn’t get them and now there just sitting here. I think we have solved all the problems with this little bird. Did I say little well it not anymore it’s a BEAST and may be used as a work horse now? This was totally out of the question before now. I’m working on a digital governor for throttle management which is now needed with all the power it has. This thing is so smooth in a hover and it’s not even tracked and balanced properly yet. I can’t wait to get it back out and finish tracking and balancing it to move forward. I will sale this as a package upgrade for the existing minis out there collecting dust. I’m not sure of the cost yet for the upgrade for it is still in the works. If anyone is interested in the upgrade you need to speak out now because were only going to put out very few per month. Please send inquiries to [email protected]. And not on the forum or web site. I plan on having it finalized and ready to take deposits in January. It will be first come first serve. The weather has turned bad for testing but I will follow up with videos when we can. We will be at as many of the major events this year as we can. Now I’m very excited about this project and have came along ways with just little help. Thanks guy’s you know who you are and with out you guys this wouldn’t have happen as fast as it has.

Thanks John H
Millennium Helicopters

Hi John,

I don't know what other problems you're talking about solving? I solved them all myself before closing the company. Frankly, all you are doing is putting someone else's engine into someone else's helicopter, and all the problems that in it's self will bring over the next years of testing. Sure, that is a challange all in its own, but nothing compared to starting from scratch and designing and building your own project from the ground up.

As for the tail-rotor gearbox key bearings on the shaft, they just need to be greased yearly and no problem, or just replace them with the two brass key-stock like I did years ago. As for any other problems with the Mini-500, all were solved with the Mast Support Upgrade. Sure, there has never been a perfect helicopter designed as of yet, so there is always room for improvement to any design, but that don't mean that the original with the upgrades was bad, in fact it's still the best in performing and smoothness in every way I know of.

Nevertheless, good luck with the project.

Dennis Fetters
Designer of the Mini-500

Sorry I have not seen this post until now, I have been living in the shop helping other feel the power as well.
Good job my friend, That deserves a pat on the back for sure.

Hi Dennis

My friend what’s up with you?

I don't know what other problems you're talking about solving? I solved them all myself before closing the company. By the way when I said I had all the problems solved on this little bird that’s not true. I have plenty more to fix. When I referenced I have about all the bugs worked out on this little bird I mean my project. Now is the future and forget the past. Why do you have to jump in and make Rued remarks about my project? I have other problems to solve most of them are self inflicted. None of which is directed to you at all. What the heck and why when anyone says there having a problem you automatically jump and run all of us down like were a bunch of dumb a@@@@. Did you not say in this sentence There has never been a perfect helicopter designed as of yet,

By the way to answer this sentence from your last post. For the tail-rotor gearbox key bearings on the shaft, they just need to be greased yearly and no problem,You could hook up an automatic grease gun to that thing and it will still wear grooves in the shaft in less than 100 hours. Things like this can be fixed and wasn’t mint to drive you into a frenzy. Would have been nice to know about the brass key stock before now. That’s the first I have heard of that being done. That’s not in the prints or on the upgrades anywhere I know of.

As for me taking someone else’s design and someone else’s motor. Well that wasn’t very simple and the last I checked you sold me the rights. I’m trying to help and you just simply jump in and ran me into the ground. Yes I will know what it will take to bring this from the ground up with lots of redesigning along the way myself. I’m not some dumb hillbilly from Arkansas I just live here.

By the way we all know who designed the mini Dennis Fetters. By the way good job and very well designed. Now sit back and watch me perfect it with a four stroke engine and other upgrades not even mentioned yet.

Just so you will know the problems I’m having are figuring out how to get the engine to communicate with the westach engine tachometer. Also I’m trying to get a governor to manage the throttle. Those are just some of the problems I haven’t worked out just yet. Problems I will work out and they don’t have anything to do with what you did.

Why are you treating me this way I have done nothing but be nice to you. I actually have taken up for you more than you know and will continue doing so. When I reference I have problems with this little bird I’m referring to my ship and this project. There my problems now and have nothing to do with what you have done.

John H
P.S. I never have said the mini was a bad ship never. I believe in this little bird more than you think.

I don't know but I just read Dennis' post & it doesn't sound "bad" ?????

I just read them both - 'just' misunderstoods in communication, I would say.
We all have to be carefull with the written words - they are somehow stronger and get easier misunderstood.

I admire so much that guys like Dennis and John put such projects into excistens, and such guys should stay friends - and I hope and think they will.

I am out of here.....

Hi Dennis

My friend what’s up with you?

I don't know what other problems you're talking about solving? I solved them all myself before closing the company. By the way when I said I had all the problems solved on this little bird that’s not true. I have plenty more to fix. When I referenced I have about all the bugs worked out on this little bird I mean my project. Now is the future and forget the past. Why do you have to jump in and make Rued remarks about my project? I have other problems to solve most of them are self inflicted. None of which is directed to you at all. What the heck and why when anyone says there having a problem you automatically jump and run all of us down like were a bunch of dumb a@@@@. Did you not say in this sentence There has never been a perfect helicopter designed as of yet,

By the way to answer this sentence from your last post. For the tail-rotor gearbox key bearings on the shaft, they just need to be greased yearly and no problem,You could hook up an automatic grease gun to that thing and it will still wear grooves in the shaft in less than 100 hours. Things like this can be fixed and wasn’t mint to drive you into a frenzy. Would have been nice to know about the brass key stock before now. That’s the first I have heard of that being done. That’s not in the prints or on the upgrades anywhere I know of.

As for me taking someone else’s design and someone else’s motor. Well that wasn’t very simple and the last I checked you sold me the rights. I’m trying to help and you just simply jump in and ran me into the ground. Yes I will know what it will take to bring this from the ground up with lots of redesigning along the way myself. I’m not some dumb hillbilly from Arkansas I just live here.

By the way we all know who designed the mini Dennis Fetters. By the way good job and very well designed. Now sit back and watch me perfect it with a four stroke engine and other upgrades not even mentioned yet.

Just so you will know the problems I’m having are figuring out how to get the engine to communicate with the westach engine tachometer. Also I’m trying to get a governor to manage the throttle. Those are just some of the problems I haven’t worked out just yet. Problems I will work out and they don’t have anything to do with what you did.

Why are you treating me this way I have done nothing but be nice to you. I actually have taken up for you more than you know and will continue doing so. When I reference I have problems with this little bird I’m referring to my ship and this project. There my problems now and have nothing to do with what you have done.

John H
P.S. I never have said the mini was a bad ship never. I believe in this little bird more than you think.

Wow.

A Hirth in a Mini ??!!

A Hirth in a Mini ??!!

John,

I've just seen you are advertising a new engine choice for the Mini-500, a HIRTH ???

Now what has gotten into you? A Hirth 2-stroke running in an enclosed Mini-500 fuselage? What's wrong with your Yamaha conversion? By going for another engine fit, you are actually "telling" us the Yammer Slammer is not as good as previously advertised !! Why change a winning combo?

...and how are you expecting the Hirth to be revving it's guts out, in the enclosed fuselage, I smell engines popping again...... My understanding is that they are not too reliable. A BIG difference between delivering power for a lightweight open frame Mosquito, and an enclosed Mini-500.

What's up, why another engine installation development?? Who's funding this new development, are Hirth suckering you into competition for the Yamaha?

Last edited:
HobbyCad, where did you see that at? Kind of makes me wonder why anyone would want a Hirth in Mini-500 ,they are bad enough in gyros.

I’m not some dumb hillbilly from Arkansas I just live here.

hey, watch it now... I was born and raised in the Natural State! ;)

Lol, where abouts in AR are you? I'd be mightily interested in coming by and having a look, if you're open to aviation admiration.

...right off Millennium's website:

http://www.millenniumhelicopters.com/home.html

Millennium Helicopters News.

We have some new deals in the works. Two of them are finalized. First will be the helicopter with the four stroke conversion which is the three cylinder 973 cm engine. Second we have teamed up with Hirth engine manufacturing and will be offering the 3701ES 100 horse power three cylinder two stroke fuel injected engine with a newly fitted frame. I’ll keep you posted when further progress is made. We also have another engine deal working. Hum is that jet a I smell maybe.

-Mike

Ok I see, I had not looked at the Site in awhile, I see it now has some pics of some customers projects. we may just see more of these flying again yet.

I, for one, think it is a beautiful bird.

I DO wish thought that the gentleman from Colorado that was building the Chevy 350- powered helo had made it all the way through. That is perhaps my favorite homebuilt helicopter of all time, with the Mosquito AIR coming in second, and this little devil looking like a contender for sure, if everything gets worked out.

Again, I would LOVE to come see your operation. I'm moving to KY at the end of the month, so hopefully I can do it before then!

3701 Hirth

3701 Hirth

Hi All

I wish them good luck on the Hirth.Helicycle has been working with Hirth since 2004 Hirth even redesigned the engine mounts to BJs specs for use in a helicopter. The engine spent more time out of the helicopter than in. They finally gave up and the builder who was testing the engine went with a turbine. (the builder is a retired turbine engine engineer from G.E.)

Doug

The Mosquito has been successful with 2-stroke power where most others have failed.

1. Low drag rotor system

2. Efficient power transmission.

3. Low disc loading and low blade loading, which decreases both induced power and profile drag power.

These factors permit conservative operation of the engine without the need for hot rodding.

The Mosquito has been successful with 2-stroke power where most others have failed.

1. Low drag rotor system

2. Efficient power transmission.

3. Low disc loading and low blade loading, which decreases both induced power and profile drag power.

These factors permit conservative operation of the engine without the need for hot rodding.

From what I understand, thier choice on which 2-stoke to go with was a big factor in its success as well. I've read nothing but glowing reviews for the MZ202. In fact, one article I read mentioned how two mosquitos were flown at WOT for quite some time, and the author mentioned how astonished he was that the MZ could handle such a feat with aplomb.

So, it's been my impression that one wouldn't say that conservative operation of the engine or lack of hot rodding is what leads to the success of the 2-stroker in the Mosquito application, but more precisely the engine they went with is just a fantastic 2-str engine.