not flying yet,but a great day for some static pics.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Well it was a nice day to get some pics of the Commuter H-1B out in the sun.

yeah, I know the grass needs to be mowed..lol

what can I say I had to chose, mow my lawn or work on the Helicopter. the Helicopter won.

Hope ya enjoy the pics and with any luck ( seems like I need lots of luck ) later today we may get some with it running.

In the mean time hope you enjoy these.

Attachments

• IM000038.jpg
    IM000038.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000055.jpg
    IM000055.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000053.jpg
    IM000053.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000042.jpg
    IM000042.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000044.jpg
    IM000044.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000045.jpg
    IM000045.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000047.jpg
    IM000047.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000040.jpg
    IM000040.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
If it flys as good as it looks you won't be able to keep it on the ground!

Tim- Looks nice! If I didn't have my Helicycle, I would be coming out to seriously look at your chopper. I hope you have it running before Bensen Days. I am looking forward to meeting you, John Rountree, David Bacon, and Jeff Jones in Orlando on the 21st. We are going to have a blast! Stan

Real nice ship, Animal!
Read in your other post, you're thinking about selling it. "Why", after all your hard work?

Stan I sent ya an E-mail,but well lets see what ya'll think of these new pics. a pic is worth a thousand words, I am so happy I am speechless.

Attachments

• IM000060.jpg
    IM000060.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000061.jpg
    IM000061.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000062.jpg
    IM000062.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000059.jpg
    IM000059.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Tim- I am so happy for you! I cans see the blur of the tail rotor....what had to be done to get it started? and hows she sound?

Hey....just teach yourself to fly like Red is doing.....ha.....just kidding.

Stan

she is for sale, as was the plan all along on this one.

she is for sale, as was the plan all along on this one.

Real nice ship, Animal!
Read in your other post, you're thinking about selling it. "Why", after all your hard work?
When I first bought the Helicopter to restore, I had a buyer lined up that wanted it to build time with and I knew I could make a nice profit.

I am not rated to fly it, wish I was as it is a sweet helicopter and has some major historical value,the designer has even flown this machine and when the Helicom company was sold to Timarand helicopters, Timarand even owned this Helicopter for awhile.

The history of the helicopter makes it a collectors piece.

Now that it is Running I will be putting it up for sale, it started right up after we got the carbs float unstuck and the oil pressure came right up, so far no oil leaks,but we did not let it run long.

The blade pitch is not set right and it almost took off with me when it started. it moved a foot across the pad and was torquing side ways.

I want to adjust the blades and check the tail rotor balance,as the A&P said the tail was bouncing quit a bit,in the video I could not see it bounce,but I will feel better if I take the tail hub off and check the balance.

my plan it is to sell the single seater and find me a 2 seater project so I can build it and get training in my own machine.

If anyone is intrested feel free to E-mail me about it, it will not be a cheap price but will be in line with the mosquito price range.

all the FAA paper work is in order,but it will need a conditional inspection.
My A&P suggested I let the new buyer worry about getting the inspection done,and he brings up a good point, who ever buys it does not know him and would probably have their own A&P inspect it if they are smart.

I do have a short video of it started and running up. and I may when I adjust the blades make a few more videos,but I will be honest, this ain't no scorpion, the blades get to speed fast and this helicopter has almost twice the horsepower required to fly. 100 h.p. heck the 2 seaters first flew on 125 h.p. so that gives you an idea of this ones power to weight ratio,it is also rated for up to a 300 pound pilot,

And after todays run up I can tell it would lift that with ease,as I was not even near the full flight r.p.m. an maybe about 5 degrees of pitch and it wanted to fly.

so anyway she is officially on the market for a new owner.
this would be a good time builder for a helicopter pilot building time for a higher rateing.

Cool she is alive!!!! Yaaaayyy. Balancing is kind of essential though. Before you do a whole lot of spinning make sure you have things roughly set at the least. You don't want to hopp up while the collective is all the way down! Just be careful Tim. I am happy to see the progress. I hope you can sell her quickly and start on a two seater. :)

Gabor, you don't know how badly I wish you where closer, I would for sure draft you to help test this baby, it is a power house I would say it had maybe 5 degrees of pitch and was at maybe 350 rotor r.p.m. as the needle was not even to the red line and it got light and moved about a foot across the pad and torqued sideways in a matter of seconds. I plan to depitch the blades and check the tail rotors and do a few more test runs. but yep,if someone has the cash and wants it, they can buy it tomorrow as at least now i know it runs and starts easily and has good oil pressure, suprisinly it did not even smoke any.
I am a happy camper.

Tim,

Do you have helo rating of any kind?

Way to go Tim. Must have sounded like music to your ears to hear it run. I look forward to some day a video so we can all hear it too.

Does your manual tell you how to set the initial pitch before you progress to the actual blade tracking?

Thanks
Arnie

Tim- I would think that full down collective would have close to or right at 0 pitch in the blades. Is there any negative twist to the blades at the tips? I had to make a gauge shaped to fit the airfoil profile for both the tail rotor and the main rotor. I could then set the pitch by knowing what the chord line of the blades are relative to the rotorshaft axis. If your blades do not have ant twist, I would think they should have very little pitch at full down collective. If there is indeed negative blade twist out at the tips, then I would think the chord line pitch at the tips would be near 0. Bottom line is that the blades shouldn't be having any lift at full down collective. With the rotorblades already producing lift at low rotor rpm's. , I could see not enough tail rotor thrust available to counter the torque due to the tail rotor not turning at high enough rpm,s. Stan

Gabor, you don't know how badly I wish you where closer, I would for sure draft you to help test this baby, it is a power house I would say it had maybe 5 degrees of pitch and was at maybe 350 rotor r.p.m. as the needle was not even to the red line and it got light and moved about a foot across the pad and torqued sideways in a matter of seconds. I plan to depitch the blades and check the tail rotors and do a few more test runs. but yep,if someone has the cash and wants it, they can buy it tomorrow as at least now i know it runs and starts easily and has good oil pressure, suprisinly it did not even smoke any.
I am a happy camper.
I wish I were a little closer too Tim. It would for sure keep me occupied :) Are you going to advertise it on Barnstormer's or Trade a plane? I am sure she will sell quickly. With all the power available people at higher elevations would love to have a strong engine like the one she's got :) It is incredible that the engine is so tight and a non-smoker :) That is always a plus. Good going Tim I am pullin' for ya :whoo:

Tim played the audio of the helicopter running over the phone to me last night. It sounded nice. You could definately hear a swoosh...swoosh of the rotorblades. They were biting at some air molecules for sure!

Tim says he is bringing the video for us to watch at Bensen Days. This will be fun to watch.

Thats a good first step Tim, hearing it coming to life...and getting some fresh oil and fuel pumping again. Lube is everywhere now where it should be...and this is great.

Stan

Tim,

Do you have helo rating of any kind?
No I have a bought 6 hours Dual in 2 different 269 helicopters.

this is why I want a 2 seat commuter with dual controls, my Business partner is a helicopter CFI. and I also have they option of taking the Helicopter down to Florida to the Safari helicopter training center and get trained there. but that would be awhile off.

trust me if I had my helo rating I would be keeping this helicopter, it is sweet, light weight I can roll it in and out of my shop be my self. and with the Engine being a Cont. C-90-12F it should not be bad on the fuel burn.

I guess time will tell if I get the one sold,but it won't be given away as it is just to nice and hey I don't plan on no having a good income like in the past, so at some point I should be able to aford training now that the Helicopter it complete. sure there are little things i can add to it. but at this point it is running and in those final stages.

needless to say I am happy and excited.

Way to go Tim. Must have sounded like music to your ears to hear it run. I look forward to some day a video so we can all hear it too.

Does your manual tell you how to set the initial pitch before you progress to the actual blade tracking?

Thanks
Arnie
Arnie,the manual said 3 degrees + pitch at full down, I don't think they are set there..lol I think mine may be more about 5 or 6. this puppy wants to fly. I am going to depitch them to the point I can saftly run it up and not try and lift off. and probably pull the tail rotor hub off and make a balancer and check the tail rotor balance. the manuals really don't tell a whole lot,after bensen days I may try and get some blade tracking lights.

at any point now the fun starts.

Tim- I would think that full down collective would have close to or right at 0 pitch in the blades. Is there any negative twist to the blades at the tips? I had to make a gauge shaped to fit the airfoil profile for both the tail rotor and the main rotor. I could then set the pitch by knowing what the chord line of the blades are relative to the rotorshaft axis. If your blades do not have ant twist, I would think they should have very little pitch at full down collective. If there is indeed negative blade twist out at the tips, then I would think the chord line pitch at the tips would be near 0. Bottom line is that the blades shouldn't be having any lift at full down collective. With the rotorblades already producing lift at low rotor rpm's. , I could see not enough tail rotor thrust available to counter the torque due to the tail rotor not turning at high enough rpm,s. Stan
yeah that was the issue,I plan to depitch them and do more tests. the blades don't look to have any twist,but what you have to remember is the guy I got it from said last time he ran it the pitch was set right, but that dose not mean when I set the head back in place is was the same way. they do look to be tracking well.

I wish I were a little closer too Tim. It would for sure keep me occupied :) Are you going to advertise it on Barnstormer's or Trade a plane? I am sure she will sell quickly. With all the power available people at higher elevations would love to have a strong engine like the one she's got :) It is incredible that the engine is so tight and a non-smoker :) That is always a plus. Good going Tim I am pullin' for ya :whoo:

Gabor,my plan is to get it dailed in enough to have it running and not get away and get some pics of it running with better lighting and make a better video,as the first Video looked like a 3 ring circus..lol

one of my biker buddys was running the video camera and taking the pics and kept waving at the camera and sticking his head in front of it..lol

plus I had just came in off the harley,had a club support shirt on with the sleeve cut off and a bandana on.

I mean even I look at the Video and laugh as we where all joking around about me bailing out if it cought on fire or anything else strange.

It was a fun day, but not a video for a prospective buyer...lol
this video could easily be on youtube as Bikers build a Helicopter.
even my A&P rides a Harley, so you can imagine the Video.

at least the pics I took of it in the sun I had on my PRA cap.. :)

Also I have to say I found a great A&P, at the end of the day he did not even charge me for the work he did this time,and he spent a awhile with me after the test run looking over things.

Thanks Chris, your a great guy.

Tim played the audio of the helicopter running over the phone to me last night. It sounded nice. You could definately hear a swoosh...swoosh of the rotorblades. They were biting at some air molecules for sure!

Tim says he is bringing the video for us to watch at Bensen Days. This will be fun to watch.

Thats a good first step Tim, hearing it coming to life...and getting some fresh oil and fuel pumping again. Lube is everywhere now where it should be...and this is great.

Stan
yeah if I get time I will add this footage to the ROC Video I promised Gabor of ROC and get it in the mail to him today or tomorrow and maybe he can get it posted online.

it is pretty funny, ya even hear my 89 year old mother in the Video. that alone is surprising as this is the first time she has came out to see one of my helicopters run. and I still live at home with her.