A Falcon is hatched.

Tim, you missed a great looking Sparrow/Falcon at Bensen Days. It had an HKS engine on it. Check out the paint job. All the lines and rivets on the rudder and stab are painted on.

Tim thanks for posting that side view, that let me see just what I was concerned about, I can see in the pic that I do now have the Cyclic stick mounted the right way now.

seems the guy I had gotten the kit from had started on the stick and it was backwards.

how did the gyro fly?
any in flight shows of it.

again thanks, that pic takes alot off my mind, I had tryed to call neal carnes today but never got anyone just the answering machine.

Tom Milton had posted a pic of the Gyro in another thread, that is a sweet paint job.

It didn't fly at Bensen Days. Tom Milton did an air worthyness inspection on it at Bensen Days. It won't be long before it's in the air.

Subaru EA-82

Subaru EA-82

what engine is that? what HP

The Engine is a Subaru EA-82,right now has Dual carbs but I plan to change them out. it has the Stratus cam grind and is 115 H.P. Belt Redrive, not sure if it is an early Amax or an Early RAF redrive,but the support shaft gose from the front of the engine to the back. and is swinging a 68" 3 blade Warp drive Prop.

This engine is also Electric start.
here are some pics.

Attachments

• IM006687.jpg
    IM006687.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IM006703.jpg
    IM006703.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IM006707.jpg
    IM006707.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1
  • IM006677.jpg
    IM006677.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IM006705.jpg
    IM006705.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1
Not a lot, still trying to work out the planetary redrive problem. Hopefully it will be ready in a few weeks. When I bought it my wife said I wouldn't have it going in a year. I told her no way, 90 days tops. It was a year ago last January that I bought it. Seems like wives just know these kinds of things......

Got the Cheek plates today,been Busy mowing so have not had time to look at them yet. anyway will post more pics soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well took a look at the extended cheek plates that are about 30" long and 3" wide and go stright up. strange shape and not a single bolt hole lines up..lol

Neal did tell me they where designed for a 2 seat gyro he was working on an that I may or may not be able to make them work.

Long story short he didn't even charge me for them and I think with some work I can make them work, they are very thick but full of holes.I think I can mill them down and make something work. they where made to fit a 3" wide mast. anyway I will mess around with it this weekend some.

Last edited:
new cheek plates cut ,milled and mounted

new cheek plates cut ,milled and mounted

Well the extended cheek plate where not what I was expecting, but was workable. neal had designed these for a 2 seat model with a 3" mast tube.
they where alot longer then need. so I figured out what I needed and cut the rest off. see pics below.

first pic is plates in the saw.

then in milling machine cutting angles to make look better. I decided to just leave them wide for more strength. the extra holes I will used to mount brackets to for stuff I add later,or just leave them like it was. I had thought of milling them down to the width of the mast then decided heck it don't hurt like they are. so just tapered the bottoms.

mounted: I should be high enough now. from floor to top of mast is 8" 2" to tetter bolt.

now I can finish the control rods. scary it is getting closer to flying every day. now to find some blades I can afford...lol need to get out and mow more lawns.... grow grass grow...

Attachments

• IM006726.jpg
    IM006726.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IM006727.jpg
    IM006727.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IM006729.jpg
    IM006729.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IM006731.jpg
    IM006731.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IM006732.jpg
    IM006732.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2
Animal ,
are you going to have a prerotor?
yes I plan to build one of my own design, shaft diven,got some Ideas,but that is still down the list some. right now working with the parts I have.

I will probably work on my control rods today. the mill the slot thru the top til support for the trim cable to run thru. Neal said to mill a 1" wide slot about 6" long in the tail support and run a cable thru it down to the spring.
if I can still find it I use to have an adjustable trim wheel from a home built airplane project I had along time ago. if I still have it I may try and make an adjustable trim set up..

Tim,, It's Looking Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant Wait To See It Fly !!

Also Did You Get The Numbers From The Pod You Asked About ?? I Posted Them For You...

Mine Is Comming Along Great As Well. New Pics, Soon.:rolleyes:

Tim,, It's Looking Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant Wait To See It Fly !!

Also Did You Get The Numbers From The Pod You Asked About ?? I Posted Them For You...

Mine Is Comming Along Great As Well. New Pics, Soon.:rolleyes:

yeah thanks Billy, your gyro is looking good also.

Animal,

You are coming along alot quicker than I did. The gyro looks great! I am still waiting to finish up with my license, right now money is short at my house, so I am on hold for now.

Gary

still plugging along

still plugging along

Well it has been awhile since I got motivated to work on the Falcon.

today I got out in the shop and milled the slot for the trim cable and mounted the top rudder support. I also cut and fitted a filler tube to go between the extended mast head plates. height from floor to teeter bolt is 8 feet. should give me plenty of clearance. Neal carnes suggested 27 foot blades.

below are some pics and front on shot of the Falcon.

Attachments

• IM006992.jpg
    IM006992.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IM006997.jpg
    IM006997.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM006993.jpg
    IM006993.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IM006994.jpg
    IM006994.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IM006998.jpg
    IM006998.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM006999.jpg
    IM006999.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007001.jpg
    IM007001.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1
Tim
How far is it from your teeter bolt to the floor. I am making some comparision figures for another project I am working on.

Now the real fun begins

Now the real fun begins

well look what was dropped off at my shop at 5:00 a.m.!

A biker Buddy of mine, that is a truck driver, It turns out goes thru Fort Wayne In. all the time and was able to pick up the Body for me.

I had to do a bit more work to it then planned ,in the pics I had you could tell the back was installed at a differant angle, but you could not tell they had glassed it in on the back side. this took a bit more cutting but by 10:00 a.m. with a lot of work useing a hacksaw blade in a handle I was able to cut the back panel free.I then used a sander wheel in my drill to smooth it down.
I still have to work on the outer edges of the back panel, but that should be fairly easy, then it is just a matter of setting it at the right angle and position and refiberglass it back in. Oh well just more to help make the 51% build rule..lol I think I passed that point along time ago.

anyway even thu I got the Body home I am still going to try and make Mentone.

the best part is I didn't have to wait until Aug. to get the Body home. that was like a stopping point as I didn't want to have to do all the wireing just to have to do it all over when I install the body.

I am getting closer to my dream of an enclosed gyro.

Attachments

• IM007004.jpg
    IM007004.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007005.jpg
    IM007005.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007006.jpg
    IM007006.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007007.jpg
    IM007007.jpg