The rallying cry of dyslexics everywhere:

The rallying cry of dyslexics everywhere:

Sydlexics, Untie!

:sorry:

Sydlexics, Untie!
Hey I can read that!!!
John

Hey, hey, easy now on the non-native speakers. :wacko:
Took me a while to "untie" that one above.
Spelling is largely overrated, but John, don't let them kid you, you are doing great. Always feeling the breath of my English teacher down the back of my neck I see a lot worse spelling in this forum.

You are in here only for a short time but you already make a big difference, if I may say so.

Kai.

Thanks Kai I really enjoyed reading in my own language for a change!
Really trying to warn, and ask for help translating my incorrect written words into the idea's real meaning, or intent as translation may be needed to make any sense.

I got over the embarrassments along time ago, 1st grade in fact! Yes I am stupid! But I will adapt, overcome, and just laugh at what I write alone with the rest of you.
It' can be quite entertaining once pointed out to me, and as life is a party for me and I like to make people laugh, seems all good, as long as we correct it!

Thanks I really love this site!
So far people complain, but they jump right in with solutions and then just fix it, it's you guys that impress me, really I've done this many times before. There is a difference in just complaining and doing!
John

PS:
You realize we have the BOD involved and actually helping, the members involved, and even non-members are helping, never seen that before either.

Last edited:
Send out this calendar item!

Send out this calendar item!

Thanks I really love this site! So far people complain, but they jump right in with solutions and then just fix it, it's you guys that impress me, really I've done this many times before. There is a difference in just complaining and doing!
You realize we have the BOD involved and actually helping, the members involved, and even non-members are helping, never seen that before either.

Yep, John, that's how things on this forum are SUPPOSED to work.

Okay, guys, I need some help getting a Mentone calendar item into as many aviation publications, aviation websites, and Indiana/Midwest tourist publications/websites as we can. Here's what I've been sending out:

---------------------------------------------

Sure could use your help in publicizing this event -- the biggest gyro fly-in in the country!

Mentone 2008
August 5-9, 2008. 12296 W and 600 S, Mentone, IN 46539. Hosted by Popular Rotorcraft Assn. Lots of vendors; lots of gyros. The biggest gyroplane fly-in held in the USA. Camping on airfield with or without power. Gyros, helicopters, showers, porta-potties, food vendor, forums, relaxed country fly-in. Come visit with the family. Experimental Light Sport Aircraft (Gyro) Repairman Course planned. Info: 574-353-7227

---------------------------------------------

Jennifer Gillmore, PRA Secretary, suggested that we use the Mentone address in everything we send out, so people with GPS and Tom-Toms can find the airport. The Gyro Repairman course I noted is Dr. Bob Stark's course -- not a freebie, but a great place to take it.

So, send the calendar item wherever you think best. I'd appreciate a note saying what you did and the address you sent it to.

If you want, you can send the one-column-inch "ad" in Mike's first post on this thread. Be sure to say it's sent not as an ad, but for placement as a public service if space is available.

Do you realize that with the number of people on this forum, we could blanket the Midwest with this? Far as I know, no one has ever tried anything like this before. So, everyone reading this, please send to at least ONE place... and let me know.

Thanks, and look forward to a post from me showing what you guys did!

....Took me a while to "untie" that one above. Spelling is largely overrated...... Always feeling the breath of my English teacher down the back of my neck I see a lot worse spelling in this forum.
Hey, those of us that can read 'Birdy' have already mastered a 2nd language! As far as spelling is concerned, he is on a mission!

I told my boss one time when I mispelled his name in a memo, that it was because I couldn't type not the I couldn't spell. Don't think he bought it!

Kerry,

Jennifer's suggestion is a good one, but I'd also call the place "Mentone Airport," and add the airport designator in parentheses.

(C92)

Many pilots now check out destinations using AirNav, their GPS units, etc.

Know it is a bit of a side track but talking of calenders and advertising I have seen some truly spectacular Gyro pics here on this Forum.

Since calenders/month/year planners are another way of advertising various causes, how about submitting pics to be chosen for a Gyro/PRA calender to be sold at Mentone, proceeds to the PRA.

(with, of course, politically correct Gyros depicted)

John, ever hear about the dyslexic atheist insomniac who lay awake all night wondering if there really was a dog

John, ever hear about the dyslexic atheist insomniac who lay awake all night wondering if there really was a dog

That would be a dyslexic agnostic insomniac...

Sorry, my degree in philosophy has damaged me for life...

Know it is a bit of a side track but talking of calenders and advertising I have seen some truly spectacular Gyro pics here on this Forum.

Since calenders/month/year planners are another way of advertising various causes, how about submitting pics to be chosen for a Gyro/PRA calender to be sold at Mentone, proceeds to the PRA.

We have a 2008 PRA calendar, I believe it (1) was mailed to every PRA chapter's contact person. I got one.

The calendar was the effort of Mike McKiernan. Mike doesn't seem to care much for "red tape". He thought the PRA needed some color brochures and membership applications, so at his expense he made some up and sent them to the chapters (and HQ). Mike did the same with PRA calendars.

You have to applaud Mike for getting things done. I believe they should be done through the Bod however.

Mike's PRA brochure alienates helicopters from the PRA by exclusion . (even though he own's one). Brochure title: "Flying gyros is fun"

Mike sent out the calendars without any information as to whether they were available in additional copies. but he is getting things done, while most of us sit on our hands.

That would be a dyslexic agnostic insomniac...

Sorry, my degree in philosophy has damaged me for life...

Oh I like this kind of thinking, a lot!!!!!

You are a sick man,
Just like me.
John

(with, of course, politically correct Gyros depicted)

This is a great idea!!!
Our own pin up calendar of Rotorcarft!!!
There is a lot of talent on this site!
Adding photo gallery and calendar to our list!
John

We have a 2008 PRA calendar, I believe it (1) was mailed to every PRA chapter's contact person. I got one.

The calendar was the effort of Mike McKiernan. Mike doesn't seem to care much for "red tape". He thought the PRA needed some color brochures and membership applications, so at his expense he made some up and sent them to the chapters (and HQ). Mike did the same with PRA calendars.

You have to applaud Mike for getting things done. I believe they should be done through the Bod however.

Mike's PRA brochure alienates helicopters from the PRA by exclusion . (even though he own's one). Brochure title: "Flying gyros is fun"

Mike sent out the calendars without any information as to whether they were available in additional copies. but he is getting things done, while most of us sit on our hands.

I like Mike McKiernan already! Hope we become friends too.
John

Modified calendar item

Modified calendar item

Kerry,

Jennifer's suggestion is a good one, but I'd also call the place "Mentone Airport," and add the airport designator in parentheses.

(C92)

Many pilots now check out destinations using AirNav, their GPS units, etc.

Good idea! You mean like this?

--------------------------------------

Sure could use your help in publicizing this event -- the biggest gyro fly-in in the country!

Mentone 2008
August 5-9, 2008. 12296 W and 600 S, Mentone, IN 46539. Hosted by Popular Rotorcraft Assn. Lots of vendors; lots of gyros. The biggest gyroplane fly-in held in the USA. Camping on Mentone Airport (C92) with or without power. Gyros, helicopters, showers, porta-potties, food vendor, forums, relaxed country fly-in. Come visit with the family. Experimental Light Sport Aircraft (Gyro) Repairman Course planned. Info: 574-353-7227

Yep! Only I'd have put the airport name and identifier right between the date and the address, in the first line, as...

"Mentone 2008
August 5-9, 2008. Mentone Airport (C92), 12296 W and 600 S, Mentone, IN 46539. Hosted by Popular Rotorcraft Assn. Lots of vendors; lots of gyros. The biggest gyroplane fly-in held in the USA. Camping on the airport with or without power..."

Good rewrite!

Good rewrite!

Yep! Only I'd have put the airport name and identifier right between the date and the address, in the first line, as...

"Mentone 2008
August 5-9, 2008. Mentone Airport (C92), 12296 W and 600 S, Mentone, IN 46539. Hosted by Popular Rotorcraft Assn. Lots of vendors; lots of gyros. The biggest gyroplane fly-in held in the USA. Camping on the airport with or without power..."

Looks okay to me. Let's encourage people to use your version when placing calendar items about Mentone.

BTW is anybody placing the Mentone calendar item anywhere? It's been quiet lately...

Talked to Mike last week and we discussed 'the' calendar during the telcon. The way I understand it, Mike is the president or CEO or whatever of a family owned printing company. He spent a ton of money on PRA promotion the last year or so.

He told me that 'the' calendar was put together by hand on very expensive paper. He said, put it in a time capsule and a hundred years from now it will as good as new and worth some money! Oh yeah, check out the lower right hand pix on that calendar! Looks like a 'copter too me! And he didn’t make up any extras; these were primarily for the chapters and maybe a few others.

Mike had something like 3 - 5 people working on it full time plus an outsider. And he was picking up the tab. Not being aware of what happens in a printing project like this, I have no idea what takes place. He tried to tell me all the steps they went thru, which included iteration after iteration of the calendar, but I couldn’t keep up with what he was telling me. What you are looking at is probably a $25+ calendar.

As far as these things going thru the BOD, I agree up to a point. But as long as the board buys in, there is no reason individuals and chapters shouldn’t take up PRA promotional projects and run with them. In this case it was Mike’s money and time and he didn't do it without the board being aware; at least Rusty knew. I think the reason he did it was because 1st he thought it was a good way to energize the chapters and 2nd he wasn't going to wait for the board to take action. We have a new guy in John leading the charge here but Mike is up on another level all together! He is more of hands on getter done type that a organizer.

I wasn't sure what Mike's reaction would be, but he seemed to not be bothered by the fact that I took that calendar to Kinko's and had it duplicated in a 11 x 17 size for the members in our chapter that wanted one. Some bought up to 5. It cost $2.15 each for the effort. If I had an opportunity to do it again, I would have them use a higher quality paper. But it still looked good and I can see one on the wall from where I'm typing this. The 'big' one is framed at our meeting hanger. So, there are PRA calendars spread around the Houston area in various offices and other places of work.

I doubt if Mike will do this again because of the problem he had getting people to get him info for the calendar. He had several of us trying to get response from those that should have had an interest in promoting their local events and it was like pulling teeth, Same ole story, no one acknowledges requests! It doesn’t take long to exceed Mike’s tolerance for doing nothing so it isn’t likely he will subject himself to this again soon.

Between the calendar, the brochure, the PRA letterhead with envelopes and the personal business cards he sent to the board members, the chapter coordinator and probably the mag editor and Jennifer, I suspect what he spent approaches $10K, maybe more. The money is impressive but his dedication to getting this stuff done is what I won't forget. He was a board member at a pretty young age and the passion for gyros doesn't appear to have diminished one iota something like 20 years later.

Tom, mentioning helicopters reminded me that Mike ran for the PRA board last year and was elected. However, he ran up against the same rule as I believe you did once. He couldn't make the convention to take his seat on the board because of a last minute business meeting that was worth a bunch. He had chartered a 'copter to pick him up and fly him to Mentone right after the meeting but the customer he was to meet with was so late that he couldn't make it. He didn't run this year for various reasons. You can speculate what some of them were and feel comfortable about guessing right.

@Dean
Thanks this is all info I need to know!!
John