Inquiring minds want to know

UtahBenson

Aircraft
Bensen
Total Flight Time
160+
Jan has a set of 22 Ft. Dragon Wings and I am looking to buy another set for my new acquisition. It is a relatively stock Bensen that I plan on buying a seat tank, change out the instrument cluster with a lighter one and add a pre-rotator. Will these 22' blades be too short. I am roughly 170lbs. SLC airport is 4220.8 and Ogden airport is 4470. I have the finished weight of the craft on the cert. but it isn't with me. It seems it was 3xx lbs. barely. Oh and can't forget the addition of the HS. If 22's aren't enough, what would be a good length? The Mac is a 90. OH...does anyone have a good source for AN bolts n stuff? :help:

Attachments

• P1010021s.jpg
    P1010021s.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010015s.jpg
    P1010015s.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
your Bensen looks good in the pictures. That looks more like a KB2 with Bensen tail. There is nothing wrong with that instrument pod. If you don't want it, I would be interest in it. I like it order bolts from Aircraft Spruce. The come packed in prastic bags and usually have a buyers source or lot number on them. Also their web site is very easy to order from. They are fast to get your stuff out. I think Leaf is good as well. oophs forgot about CPS. order all of their catalogs on line.

Hello Chuck..
I think I've got a nice seat tank for you if your interested.
I'd let you have it for what I paid for it...shipping extra.

I've got two Tanks like this, and I only need one.
It holds about 7+ gal. and includes the sight tube along the edge of the seat, and seat frame screwed to the bottom ready to bolt right to your frame. This is a quick install for your machine and will immediately bring your CG to near CLT.

PM me if your interested.

(This is a photo of one of the two from my archive).

UPDATE: Chuck Has accepted the offer on the seat and it is now Sold.

Attachments

• Seat.jpg
    Seat.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
instrument pod

instrument pod

hey Friendly, I have another Bensen also and I would probably put it back on that one. I don't want to part it out yet. The air speed indicator in this one is still a 40 year old virgin. The plugs are still in it :) I will let you know if I decide to part with it though.

Chuck,

Your Bensen should be simliar in weight to mine when you have done the mods, and we are pretty close in weight too. I fly on 22' Dragon Wings no problem.

22 footers should fly yours even at your altitude, but 23's should make it perform like mine at sea level.

Chuck,

Check with Ernie at Rotor Flight Dynamics (the manufacturer of Dragon Wings) and see if you need longer blades, a little more pitch in the 22-footers for the altitude, or maybe just a foot longer hub bar. He has some specific recommendations based on all-up weight and environment.