Ken Wallis still flying :)

For the Dom, for instance, the CAA could assign credit on the basis
of its excellent safety record elsewhere, and modify, or waive, the UK proof of
quality accordingly.

They have only just lifted the restrictions on the Crickets Fergus, and they have a lot longer accident free record than the Doms ! The history wouldn't really help with sec T.........or hinder it if it had a bad record.

At the risk of being attacked again by Chuck E, I think we view our minority sport as some sort of special case. Any death is tragic but no more so if the machine involved is a flying machine rather than a motorcycle, car, boat, horse etc. We encourage passengers to enjoy the fun in all of these.

I think the restrictions on carrying passengers should be as much about the pilot as the machine.

What an inspiring story. I hope to have my own fleet of Jungle Gyms someday in my own hangar, and go fly one of them at 93.

The man is a legend, and I'm glad you shared the story. Good post.

Dennis, I'm envious of your relationship with Ken - what an honor to know him and count him as a friend.

This thread made my day, and gave me hope for the next 53 years!!

Points taken, Brian, and valid they mostly are.
I feel, however, that most non-aviators are not capable of
assessing aviation risk, and quite a few pilots also.
I read the AAIB bulletins each month.
Perhaps I ought not to.

One day I was in a rented car pulling my Air Command down some crowded highway in England, bumper to bumper, going to perform in the Cranfield fly-in.

Suddenly someone was driving beside me honking their horn. I was thinking "what did this nut have to drive like to get up beside me just to see my gyro?". That nut was Wing Commander Kin Wallis, pulling up to say hello.

The year or so before he came to my fly-in in USA as honored guest.

Small world.