Tip-Jet SwissCopter flies under a bridge !

I just saw the swiss invention company's website on that on the Tip Jet Thread.

Looks like fun :D

Wow that is an awesome little machine. I bet with tip jets it is much less stress on the airframe.

I would try helicopters one day if it weren't for the additional expense of rebuilds and generally higher cost than a gyro. That might be the ticket if it didn't require the tear downs.

are selling in the USA now

are selling in the USA now

Ricardo just emailed me the following:

Hi Tom, yes we define the price will be on the range of $50 to $60K, depending on the avionics installed, e.a. Auto Pilot, HD camera and fuel option.
The delivery are estimated to October/08 on the orders that we have received.

He also passed on the following link for a longer look at his machine;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBJ1doXcnE

Looks fun, but kinda expensive with the Mosquito at $30,000.

For a machine that is coming out so soon in the US there appear to have been little exposure to the market. Only saw it here on the forum a short while ago. Is it a kit, readybuild?

Mercí, André. The tip jets helico was developed in 88-79 by a USA company(Advanced Technologies, Inc) It looks like this was one its first proyects. A long time ago! It was done for a Swiss client. Now, it's being advertised and sold in Brazil! What a puzzle! Does anyone know what is going on? I have always loved the concept of tip jets. Simple and safe, I think!

Answer from Brazil

Answer from Brazil

They wrote to me today from Brazil(below) Where H202 is bought?:noidea::

Hello Ramom, is my pleasure contact you in regards of the tip jet, right now we are accepting potential costumers and the list is growing quite well, the basic price will be $ 50 K, but the final price depending in the personal customization, the tip jet is powered by H2O2 ( 50% peroxide and 50% alcohol ) or liquid gas propane.
Options: Avionics auto pilot, where you can plot up to 20 way points to fly and landing, and the HD camera with auto control in the helmet as a option, those equipment costs are not included in the basic price, neither the customized installation.
Here are some details:
Uses environmentally friendly rockets in its rotor tips to set them spinning, no maintenance required.
H2O2 is organic, made from the atmosphere and its emissions are pure, just water.
No engine, no emissions, only steam, any untrained person could fly it after 24 hrs instruction.
Requires no complicated cooling, intake, exhaust, ignition, or hydraulic systems.
The steering system is very simple, as a joy steak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBJ1doXcnE

Demo flight will be available for the costumers by October 2008.
Estimated delivery time 2 mo after order, expedite delivery can be arranged.

SPECS.

PARAMETER
US
METRIC

Cruise speed
35 mph
56 km/h

Maximum speed
100 mph
160 km/h

Rate of climb
2,000 ft/min
650 m/min

Descent (all engines off)
1,100 ft/min
360 m/min

Maximum flight ceiling approx.
2.485 miles
4’000 m

Empty weight
220 lbs
100 kg

Gross weight MTOW
800 lbs
350 kg

Rotor diameter
18 ft
6 m

Engine thrust
28 lbs
13 kg

Standard fuel capacity
15 gal
60 lit.

Extension A
30 gal
120 lit.

Endurance at cruise (standard)
45 min
45 min

Extension A
90 min
90 min

Payload
330 lbs
150 kg

Fuel (Different Systems)

Best Regards,
Ricardo Cavalcanti
(x520) 795 2452

i found it uses a tail propellor . why a blade tip jet helicopter use a tail prop?

It was found that at low airspeed or hover there was not enough airflow to maintain directional control with just a rudder. Tail rotor is easy way to maintain control but is not used to counteract the rotor torque like in a conventional heli.

tail rotor with tip-jets

tail rotor with tip-jets

This is an old tried-and-true configuration. Look very closely at the pictures of the old Hiller Hornet tip-jet helicopter from half a century ago, and you'll see a little single-blade tail rotor on it about half way down the right side of the tail boom. A rudder only works when you have some forward airspeed producing flow across it; at low speed or in a hover, you need something more to give you yaw control.

This is an old tried-and-true configuration. Look very closely at the pictures of the old Hiller Hornet tip-jet helicopter from half a century ago, and you'll see a little single-blade tail rotor on it about half way down the right side of the tail boom. A rudder only works when you have some forward airspeed producing flow across it; at low speed or in a hover, you need something more to give you yaw control.

That said the Djinn only had a rudder albeit in the residual thrust of the engine. Almost 100 were built, the most succesful tipjet to date I believe.

It's not hard to see why this thing isn't going to sell - fuel that's not easy to come by & expensive that it uses at a horrendous rate.

The original craft was designed in the 1970's by Gilbert Magill from Odessa,Tx.
Since then it has been in England,Switzerland and now it's in Brazil and every time it's a "new" invention/helicopter.
H202 is going to kill the project time after time not because it's an unsafe fuel but because that fuel is so damn expencive and hard to find.

As I understand from the company info it now uses 50% peroxide in combination with another fuel.That's a big step forward in regard to the 90% rocket grade fuel they used to use but still and expencive adventure if you consider the rate at which the gallons are consumed.

Wonder who's going to spend 20,000$ more for this helicopter over the proven Mosquito.
It has fewer parts,much less complex than a conventional helicopter,yet it cost 20 grand more than it's competitor the Mosquito.
Replacing the catalist pack is a costly affair also I guess.

I agree that there are a bunch of "nouveaux rich",young people who made money in "cyber space" but 100,000$ for the Martin "Jetpack" or 50,000$ for this jet helicopter is still a lot of money for a "toy",even for those guys !!

Oh well,maybe it will turn up in China within a couple of years and perhaps they will also claim the tittle of "new invention helicopter".

Cita.

It was found that at low airspeed or hover there was not enough airflow to maintain directional control with just a rudder. Tail rotor is easy way to maintain control but is not used to counteract the rotor torque like in a conventional heli.

I got it, thanks!