Swapping the 503 for the 447

This is a great log Chris. Knowing the cost of the upgrade is helpfull too.

If someday I get a good deal on a 447 I am going to come here and follow these instructions to upgrade.

After she is airworthy I would say eBay off the old parts.

I have found that with my motorcycle restorations that if I keep the part I won't need it and if I sell off the part I will. Since there is no way to win you might as well get cash now...

Well, Thank you Tim ! I do this for therapy & I always hope that someone can get something useful out of it all.

I talked to Doug at Air Command tonight & he says that they are working on my parts.

I said that it would be nice to have them by CHRISTMAS !

Chris,

If you decide to part out your old setup, I will be needing a gearbox.
Let me know if you want to sell it.

We just watched the DARK KNIGHT for the first time......We liked it! Good Batman movie!

Mike, I think I have an $800 offer for the whole thing from a member in California.

I must still give him first shot. I'll let you know. Thanks

OK......my package from CPS has finally arrived !

The RK clutch is on backorder. I hope that they got all the cables right. I hope to check it out this weekend, maybe sooner.

It seems as though the offers for my 447 have come to an end. Make me an offer.

OK .....I thought I would just post some pics I took yesterday of prerotator & cables.

OH yeah ...I forgot to mention that I got my stuff from Air Command !

Full description of new problems to follow !

Well, I can mention a few challenges now. First off it is snowing here ! Maybe will turn to rain. NEED TO GET TO GARAGE>>>>START 88 SUBARU & drag Shar with. Need more hands & someone to argue with.

Something is wrong with cables...throttle cables(not housing) seem short. Not letting carb slides bottom out. Need to take close look.

Choke cables seem long(not housing). Splitter is out of travel before it even starts pulling on choke.

WTF don't they know how much exposed cable is needed for the rotax ? Need to take closer look so I can deal intelligently with these morons.

Oil injector cable seems good on length (housing & cable) but the end for the pump is to small to fit the pump arm. I told them ... FOR THE 503 !!!!!!!!!!!

Why does Rotax have to make that cable different for the 503 & the 582 ? I guess just to make things difficult !

Lower PR drive is nice. I just don't know yet if flex shaft is gonna make it past rear engine support tube. It will be close. Good thing I had to move them out. I might have to move at least that side out more !

Need to put on prop & check for clearance between drive wheel & prop blades. I hope that is not an issue.

I will call CPS tommorrow & get this cable mess straightened out & see when my clutch will get here.

I really want to get the gearbox final assembly finished.

Attachments

• IM004895.JPG
    IM004895.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1
  • IM004896.JPG
    IM004896.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IM004897.JPG
    IM004897.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IM004898.JPG
    IM004898.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM004899.JPG
    IM004899.JPG
  • IM004900.JPG
    IM004900.JPG
  • IM004901.JPG
    IM004901.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Lookin good Chris,
maybe I should start a thread about the rotax 582 to arctic cat 530 conversion I am doing on the dominator. Thankfully it looks like I am not running into as many problems as I thought.
Looks like you will have it done in plenty of time for the spring thaw. :)

Thanks Scott, hey I was just doing an edit. Reread & respond please.

Chris, I bought all the little cable end and ferrules to make my own cables, It is a P.I.the A. to get the correct ones, why? I do not know.
You may want to get some cables with the adjuster in the middle to take up extra slack, good luck.

I got lucky on the cables on the Dom, Just disconnected the Bing carb stuff and the Mikuni cables fit like a glove, I got lucky.

You know, I was thinking ....Am I gonna have to make my own cables?

If you want something done right...DO IT YOURSELF !

They did a nice job on the ends but you would think they would know exactly what they need on length!

Hey , I'm glad things seem to be working out for your job. Please start a thread on it !!!!!!

How do you install those ends? Solder pot ? There's another thread ! Who says things are slow around here !?

NO MORE ADJUSTERS ! Each carb has one & each choke has one. Also there will be another at my throttle quadrant.

Artic cat 530

Artic cat 530

Lookin good Chris,
maybe I should start a thread about the rotax 582 to arctic cat 530 conversion I am doing on the dominator. . :)
Scott,I think that would be a great thread. and I am sure there are alot of pointers along the way that would help someone else.

Chris, it sounds like this conversion has turned into almost as big a job as finishing your 2 seater. good luck on both.

Tim, not nearly as much custom work, just time consuming little changes.
But I feel that the new engine with 10 more ponies & a better prerotator should be well worth the effort. You gotta remember that this machine has been flying my butt around since 1986.

Went to garage & fired up bullet heater.

It appears as though the throttle cables are perfect but the choke cables are too long.
The splitter slide tube is out of travel before they even begin to pull on the chokes.

I will call CPS today & see what they were thinking.

I threw on the IVO & everything seems great there. Now to get to the machine shop & give them a couple of holiday projects! HA!

Once the cables are working right... things should come together.

The flex shaft is not long enough but I have a spare longer one from my 2 place thay I can use but it will have to be shortened.

I need to lock myself in the garage for about a week to get my head straightened out.

Vacation time ! Yeah !

I called CPS today, I spoke with an english speaking, intelligent sounding man.....thank God !

My clutch is still on backorder but will be there anyday now. Yeah & the check is in the mail !

So I tell him about the cable problem....He says that the person who took the order should have sent me a custom cable form.

I told him that the only info I can supply is the cable housing length & the type of ends the cable needs. Those items are all correct.

The problem is with the amount of cable that protrudes from the housing & only they would know the proper amount for the chokes.

But this guy sounds a little angry & insists that he fax me the form. OK OK !

I hang up & call my boss' office & he gives me his fax #. I'm a little pissed & decide to call back with the # & ask for Mike Stratman(the Rotax genius).

I call back & I get the same guy. I give him the # & then I ask for Mike.....it was him!

I mean if they don't know the answer then who does? I told him to pull out his dual choke cable setups & measure the cable endplay. I guess that would be too easy, unless they are all wrong!

It doesn't matter if the housing is 3" or a mile long....the endplay remains the same!

Anyway, I will pick up the form, fill it out & return the 3 wrong cables & pray they get it right this time. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE !

I also plan to return the tiny little fuel filter with the sintered filter in it .....it looks like it belongs on an RC model. I will take pictures of the 2 types I got & see what you guys think.

More delays ! Thanks for listening to my bitching !

Chris,I can't help but wonder if a local bike shop might not have a cable that would work. or maybe could make one. I know they make cables of all lenghts for bikes and differant types of carbs. could be worth looking into.

Now keep in mind I know nothing about rotax's but with all the differant carbs on differant bikes and stuff ,surely something could be made to work.

Tim, call me crazy but.....I figured that I would be better off getting them from one of the few companies that SPECIALIZE in Rotax stuff !

Can't go wrong there, RIGHT ?

Well my cables are on the way back to California with a long letter explaining how to make the cables that they already sell !

I went to the machine shop & they will be making up the dual fuel pump mount that I have designed. I hope that you all want to buy one !

It will bolt to just about any size square tube & will allow you to rotate it any way you like ! Also will use the rubber Lord mounts for heat & vibration isolation.

What do you think? Merry Christmas !

I spoke with CPS yesterday. They have been off for 2 weeks.

They still have not recieved or shipped my gearbox clutch. I had only been thinking about the advantages of the clutch. I cancelled the order & saved myself $520.

Think about it.....I would like to engage my prerotator at low RPMs but my prop would not spin untill I got to 2500rpm. I add throttle till prop starts to spin(2500). The clutch would just start to grab.

Now I start up the prerotator...this will be hard on something.

So I will pass on the clutch for now.

Any thoughts on this situation ?

Anyhow, now I can assemble the gearbox as Rotax had designed it while I wait for CPS to correct my choke & oil injection cables.

UPDATE....I cancelled the C box clutch.

I spoke with the guy from CPS that actually makes the throttle & choke cables.

He admitted to making them wrong and we both agreed on the proper length.

Waiting for cables.

I got my exhaust spacers from the machine shop. Also took the partially completed fuel pump mount. I will refine the design & return for completion.

I believe that I will try to redesign the prerotator so that the flex cable will run over the top of the motor mount straps. So I will probably be taking the gearbox to the machine shop to run some ideas by them.

I guess I should have been born the son of a machinist instead of a plumbers son.

They all tie together anyway....mechanic!

The adjusted cables from CPS arrived today !

Now I can move forward.

If the 2 short cable junction blocks work out, I can order the double mount bracket from LEAF. Very tidy.

I ordered the SS snubbing washers from Dennis Fetters today. If you didn't catch that thread, I will find it for you. Nice product. So I will be doing the mounts the right way.

It's soooooo cold!

I also need to get my new throttle plate mounted & my new choke lever. I hope things start coming together so I can get back to that Subaru project.