Online version of Rotorcraft Mag

John, does each voluteer know what year(s) they are responsible for?

John, does each voluteer know what year(s) they are responsible for?

Not yet Dean only Tommy Milton! He's got 2008 and 2009!
I don't know either yet. I ask Jennifer to gather the number of years each volunteer has requested. She has to look through what we've got for years that don't have any missing issues.
Then she will email me the issues sent and I'll log them.
After we have sent the ones we have were going to rely on folks like you that have almost all the issues to fill the years with holes.

We are making this up as we go, and that's the best plan we have come up with so far.

OK a little help?

Here is the overview of the scanning instructions.
Is this complete enough for the pro's? (Detailed instructions will have pictures and step by step)

---Start----
For the pro's here is an overview of the format:
1) Before you start scanning setup the folders for the years you have been sent or have.
a) Create a new folder for each magazine you're scanning.
b) Name each folder the actual tile of Magazine your scanning including spaces. e.g. ‘May June 2009’ or 'January Special Issue 1961' etc.
c) Each folder then will contain all the images for that one magazine.​

2) Scan at 96 dpi = Dotes per inch. But Make sure if you have a page with picture to use the "descreen" feature as this will make the picture smooth and will not allow screen moire. Usually you can choose "magazine" or "newspaper". If choose the newspaper settings it is usually 85 dpi and the magazine is 110 dpi. Using either 85, 96, or 110 dpi is OK you don't have to override the default "magazine" setting to 96 every tine.

3) Tip: Add a piece of white paper behind each page and it will also make the type pop out and the contrast will make it easier to read, this can cause text or pictures bleeding through the page so see the next tip when that happens.

4) Tip: Also if you see words bleeding through from the back of the page you can put a black sheet of construction paper behind it and that will make it disappear.

5) Save all files as J PEG = .JPG without compression.

6) Filename should be any letter(s) but then start at 001 for the cover and sequence in order. e.g. 'P001.jpg' for the front Cover with the two leading zero … the last page= back cover using the example of May - Jane 2009 issue would be 'p049.jpg'

7) Send John AKA All_IN on the forum the first copy to compare to the others as a quality check.

8) I'll get right back to you and a way you go.

9) Then email me or make a CD(s) and snail mail me them!
Thank you.

Last edited:
My years

My years

Not yet Dean only Tommy Milton! He's got 2008 and 2009!

John, Since I have virtually all magazine issues from day one, wouldn't it be better to have me scan the early ones. Everybody's got the last two years.

John, Since I have virtually all magazine issues from day one, wouldn't it be better to have me scan the early ones. Everybody's got the last two years.
Yes it would! OK pick two of the earliest years and let me know which ones and I'll let Jenifer know not to send those.
Thank you!

John, why do we have to scan the years that are already on disk? I believe Steph Gremminger started doing that when she was editor and I believe Rick continued it. If that is the case that means 2008 & 2009, plus other years, are in digital form already.

John, why do we have to scan the years that are already on disk? I believe Steph Gremminger started doing that when she was editor and I believe Rick continued it. If that is the case that means 2008 & 2009, plus other years, are in digital form already.

I forgot, that's why.
I'll email Greg and Rick and get those sent to me.

Thank you again Dean, what would I do without you, really!!!!

John, Block out the first 3 years for me. (or more?)
Should I start scanning? Is the format, as presented here in post #23, set in stone?

I need something to do when I'm too tired to work safely, in the shop.

Thank you Tom!!!
You got it! But what is the 1st 3 years? 1965-19667 ? Let me know I'm not sure.

Yes post #23 is the newest instructions.

Please email me the first page you scan so I can make sure it's the same as all the others before any real labor is spent by you.

I think the premier issue was in 1962 or 1963. I'll be moving my collection into my office tomorrow. I'll check, let you know and send the first scan.

Thanks Tom!!!

John,

I think you forgot about me but I volunteered to scan for you. I was going to start with three years worth and go from there.

Thanks!
Kim

John,

I think you forgot about me but I volunteered to scan for you. I was going to start with three years worth and go from there.

Thanks!
Kim
I've just inquired as to why they haven't been sent to you yet.:sorry:

Here it is ! The birth of the PRA

Here it is ! The birth of the PRA

I just scanned in the first issue of the PRA magazine. The birth of the PRA is discussed. PRA dues are $5.00 a year and the magazine is quarterly (hint there).
Here is the cover and the inside cover to get you all inspired.

Attachments

• 001sm.jpg
    001sm.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
I got your email Tom! It looks perfect!

You are approved to scan!

Thank you, buddy!!!!!

John,
About the record keeping.
The early magazines are the 4 seasons, then they add Volume and number
I think we should stick to the volume and number system as appears to be consistant throughout.

Maybe 1963 Volume 1 number 1 or 1963 V1-N1 1963 Vol1-#2

What ya think?

John,
About the record keeping.
The early magazines are the 4 seasons, then they add Volume and number
I think we should stick to the volume and number system as appears to be consistant throughout.

Maybe 1963 Volume 1 number 1 or 1963 V1-N1 1963 Vol1-#2

What ya think?
That will work, even better.
Anything will, as long as we can figure out what folder = whcih magazine it is for will work, I'm going to have to rearrange and rename them by hand anyway and build the table of contents too.

...and a Cessna 150 was about $7K.

Fast forward to 2009...a Cessna 162 SkyCatcher is $111K, or up about 16x. PRA membership is up only 10x, and there are more issues of the magazine.
I was thinking the same thing and I think gas was about 15 to 18 cents a gal.