Hanger - storage

Cowboy

Aircraft
None but hoping...
I'm the type that has to have all the details worked out before "pulling the trigger".

One of the final details is where to store my future RAF/Sparrowhawk. Here's my research.

Mentone (PRA airport).Hanger $40 a month with access to electric, no doors. 1 1/2 hour drive one-way. BUT that is where I hope to take my training. On site fuel is seasonal.

Nappanee Airport. 11 minute drive. $100 per month gets me a corner of a large hanger. Electric and heat included. Smaller airport for a Newbie like me. Fuel 100LL

Goshen Airport 8 minute drive. $99 per month and I get my own t-hanger with electric included. Manager said they would love to have their first gyrocoppter stationed there! Fuel 100LL

I'm strongly leaning toward the Goshen Airport.

Cancel the satellite TV and eat a few less BK Whoppers to raise the $100 rent easily!

That leaves me two more ducks to line up.

2nd to last Duck. RAF/Sparrowhawk weight requires a PPL except there may be a grandfather clause for the older RAF/Sparrowhawks that would allow SPL? Research this more.

Last Duck. Raise $35,000 plus training costs.

Last edited:
Robin,

I took my training at Putnam County Airport which is a 3 1/2 hour drive (one way).

I hangared my gyros there until I had completed my training. I found this was very helpful not only because I was able to get some duel time in my own machine but also because other gyro people hangared there and were able to look over my machines and give me advise.

Once my training was complete I relocated my gyros to my garage and then eventually a hangar at a nearby airport.

-----

I was able to reduce my hangar costs by sharing with other pilots. Single place gyros are so small you can easily share a T-hangar with a fixed wing.

2-Place gyros can share hangar space with additional gyros or helicopters.

Some airports will let you store cars or motorcycles in T-Hangars so that can help with hangar expenses also.

I wish my hangar was only $40-100!

On the RAF/SH use with Sport Pilot, check to see what the weight is listed as. If your MTOW is less than 1320 you can fly it with a Sport Pilot license.

If it is OVER 1320 you can fly it solo with a CFI endorsement.

If you are talking about the grandfather clause I think you are that is a clause on the PILOT not the machine. That would not help you I am afraid.

Huh?

Huh?

I'm the type that has to have all the details worked out before "pulling the trigger".

One of the final details is where to store my future RAF/Sparrowhawk. Here's my research.

Mentone (PRA airport).Hanger $40 a month with access to electric, no doors. 1 1/2 hour drive one-way. BUT that is where I hope to take my training. On site fuel is seasonal.

Nappanee Airport. 11 minute drive. $100 per month gets me a corner of a large hanger. Electric and heat included. Smaller airport for a Newbie like me. Fuel 100LL

Goshen Airport 8 minute drive. $99 per month and I get my own t-hanger with electric included. Manager said they would love to have their first gyrocoppter stationed there! Fuel 100LL

I'm strongly leaning toward the Goshen Airport.

Cancel the satellite TV and eat a few less BK Whoppers to raise the $100 rent easily!

That leaves me more ducks to line up.

2nd to last Duck. RAF/Sparrowhawk weight requires a PPL except there may be a grandfather clause for the older RAF/Sparrowhawks that would allow SPL? Research this more.

Last Duck. Raise $35,000 plus training costs.

That last line would make up my mind. 35,000.00 Thats enogh to buy a real airplane.

That last line would make up my mind. 35,000.00 Thats enogh to buy a real airplane.

I've had a real airplane. They are overrated. Go for the gyro....

Just a thought on the Tee-Hanger. Notice in the picture on the upper left corner. This is usually a wasted space for rental and collects the whatevers from the airport.

If this area is available and does not have a garage door on it, offer to have a door installed at your expense in lieu of rent. We have of our corners rented.

Attachments

• dimensions.jpg
    dimensions.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0

That leaves me two more ducks to line up.

We had a club member flying out of Goshen for many years. so you sure wouldn't be the first. I believe he quit flying altogether. Doesn't Goshen have a tower?

There is no "grandfather clause" for pilots or gyros. A homebuilt gyro's gross weight is determined by the owner, it does not appear in ANY government records. As the pilot, you do your preflight weight and balance/ Lower the gross for training raise it back up for private pilot rating. It's legal and easy. But don't get caught flying on a SPL over gross.

I'd opt for Mentone if I were you. Duane Hunn teaches in an RAF there and probably has a least one lead on a used ship. I know of one near there myself.
you would have virtually no traffic and a real smart RAF mechanic on hand.

There is no "grandfather clause" for pilots or gyros. A homebuilt gyro's gross weight is determined by the owner, it does not appear in ANY government records. .

Tom,

There is. (sort of anyway)

I think ( I might be wrong ) he is talking about the ablity of a rated pilot to fly experimentals 2-up if the time is logged and approved by a FSDO in the required time frame (as discussed in Stan's review thread).

He may have been refering to something else though...

Just a thought on the Tee-Hanger. Notice in the picture on the upper left corner. This is usually a wasted space for rental and collects the whatevers from the airport.

Jeff,
Oh my gosh! At our local airport I noticed the same little room that was nearly empty. I never thought of asking to put in a door! We are a little town, and I am sure they would have said, "knock youself out". I am not sure where you would find such a door maybe 8x10.

Tom,

There is. (sort of anyway)

I think ( I might be wrong ) he is talking about the ablity of a rated pilot to fly experimentals 2-up if the time is logged and approved by a FSDO in the required time frame (as discussed in Stan's review thread).

He may have been refering to something else though...

I not sure what I'm talking about either that may be "grandfathered". May be just a bit of corrupted data that got stuck on a bad sector (my mind)....?

Larry,

I love your new avatar!

Attachments

2.8 KB · Views: 0
Enough Space??

Enough Space??

My question here is more on adequate building space -:noidea: the gyro I'm considering getting has a footprint of 7' wide by not quite 12' long. I'm considering putting a shed in my back yard that will hold it for storage, and construction, but the most space I have available would be 16' by 10'. The large doors would be on the long side, and I plan on making a "dolly" of sorts that would lift the gyro and allow me to rotate it and out before hitting the back wall. once it is inside, I'm looking at probably a 9' by 15' space, so 1 foot either side and 2 feet front and back. Obviously, I can position it within that space for a particular task, but wanted to know how that sounds to you out there who have already built yours. I appreciate all feedback.

Advatar

Advatar

Hi All,

Just got my advatar from the front page of our newspaper the stornoway gazette!! (i am only a newbie)

Now Then where was I OHH... Yes Stornoway airpot !! hangarage the hangarage there is £320-00 + Landing fees and take off fees!! per month this must be the most expensive hangarage in the UK! Distance to travel 45 mins! there is no more flying school as this closed down ... no instuctors... and no gyrocopters owners! the nearest well not on this island!!!! only1 above!so you can see we get a lot for our money here......:censored:

PS.Dick turpin wore a mask! But they dont bother here even broad daylight!

G.

LAA. PRA. BRA,..............:plane:

Last edited:
Cowboy,
If it were me, I would first store it as close to the instructor as you can. This way you don't have to pay his travel time and it makes it simple for training. Also having a mechanic nearby for the first 20-30 hrs is a good idea.
After you start soloing, I would store it as close to you as possible.
Mine is about a 2 minuet drive from where I work.. I can go pet it on my way home.:D
The other thing you want to consider is the height of the RAF or Sparrowhawk. My machine is about 9' tall and some hangers are too low for it. Even with a 10'+ door, you really have to watch the rotors so they don't bump on the way in or out. You might take a tape with you if you visit the airport.
Good luck!
Brad
By the way.. I would suggest you get a lesson or 2 in a Sparrowhawk or RAF before you buy one. Just to make sure it is really what you think it is. I thought it would be different than it really was. Just as fun, just not what I had in mind.

Last edited: