Out of the Nest at Last!

rsbiser

Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
Hey Everybody,

Just wanted to share some pictures of my new bird with you.

Some of you have seen this before when it was 503 powered (on the cover of "Rotorcraft" a few months ago). And I've had it at Mentone the last two years.

Anyway, two years ago, I got a chance to fly a Dominator with 582 power and fell in love. Last Fall I got serious about upgrading mine. Started working on it in January and finally got it back in the air last Monday.

Still got some work to do on engine tuning and prop pitching, but so far, I'm real happy with the way it turned out.

There are 20 some pictures at the link below. Let me know what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27144753@N06/2532340831/in/set-72157605315524669/

Thanks,

Scott

What is the radiator from? goldwing?

What about the PVC pipe? stash box? fishing rod holder? clean socks? :)

Scott,

I'm not sure what the radiator is from. Chris Wilson included it with the motor. Pretty sure it's off some kind of bike. It was on his Monarch. As small as it is, I still only get the temp up to about 150.

You like my Torpedo Tube? (you guessed it - could be used for all of the above - except I don't do a lot of fishing). With the increased range due to the Aux Tank, I wanted a place to carry some extra Oil and maybe a couple of tools.

Fantastic!

Congratulations!

2532340831_70b4e8ac59_b.jpg

2532341435_eb2960ec1c_b.jpg

2532342071_8f3abb744a_b.jpg

2532344449_7015656011_b.jpg

2533161274_ebbe153325_b.jpg

2532346847_cd318a23dd_b.jpg

2533163752_e798941c87_b.jpg

Tim,

Did you do something to get my pictures to show up like that? I could only figure out how to embed the like, not the actual pictures.

Looks pretty good, Huh?

Tim,

Did you do something to get my pictures to show up like that? I could only figure out how to embed the like, not the actual pictures.

Looks pretty good, Huh?

Looks GREAT!

I am getting ready to post the link to your video..

Here is what I did to post your photos in-line.

I went to the link above which took me to your Flickr page.

I got the URL for the photo by right-clicking on the photo and getting the properties.

As the ower of the Flickr site you can do this by clicking on the "Sizes" button near the top of the photo.

Then I came to the forum, and in the new post box I clicked on the
insertimage.gif
insert image button.

This button opens up a dialog box that I pasted your photos' URL into.

I then clicked 'Submit Reply" and ta-da embedded photos.

It sounds like a lot of steps but once you do it you see it is actually pretty straight forward.

Nice job Scott!

The detail work is remarkable.

It looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Thank you, Vance

Goodness thats one nice looking ride

Goodness thats one nice looking ride

This is the guy I met as a lowly Powered Paraglider Pilot many years ago. Now look at him. He is also the guy who inspired me to get into Gyros!

Boy does he set the bar high with his workmanship...

Congratulations Scott.

What a beauty! Nice work, Scott! One comment though - Rotax recommends that you install the fuel pump horizontally, so the pulse chamber vent hole is at the bottom. This would allow any condensation to drain out. I know many people mount the pump vertically - but that's what Rotax is recommending. Horizontally, no vibrations, away from any heat source.

Udi

Scott
Really nice! Im on the road of doing exactly the same thing, you've given me some ideas, the only problem is I cant stop flying it to do the engine change...
Sweet machine!
Scott do you know where the expansion tank came from? also the aux fuel tank where would I get one?
Thanks
Paddy

Looks great --the only thing you need to change is to get rid of the ZIP ties that hold on the storage compartment. You need to make proper clamps for that--

Rotax recommends that you install the fuel pump horizontally, so the pulse chamber vent hole is at the bottom. This would allow any condensation to drain out. I know many people mount the pump vertically - but that's what Rotax is recommending. Horizontally, no vibrations, away from any heat source.

Udi

Thanks Udi. I had not heard that before. This is exactly the way that Ernie mounts the pump when he builds a new Dom. So I didn't feel any need to change it. But if I ever have to mess with the pump, I'll consider the Horizontal mounting.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott
Really nice! Im on the road of doing exactly the same thing, you've given me some ideas, the only problem is I cant stop flying it to do the engine change...
Sweet machine!
Scott do you know where the expansion tank came from? also the aux fuel tank where would I get one?
Thanks
Paddy

Paddy,

The expansion tank was from a Yamaha Snowmobile. I found it on this Forum and got it from Todd Reick (Racer) in Colorado.

THANKS TODD!!!

(See the clip from his post below). It was pretty easy to mount and I like the fact that you can see the fluid level without taking the cap off to check. I think you can get one from a Yamaha dealer or on-line.

The Aux Tank came from Tour Tanks. http://www.tourtank.com/ This is the same tank that GyroRon, used on his Dominator a couple of years ago. He totally replaced the seat tank with two of these (one on either sid of the seat). Mine was custom built without a filler neck. It is truly an extension of the seat tank. They are tied together with an AN-10 hose and the feed to the fuel pump comes sout of the Aux Tank. The system is filled only through the filler cap at the top of the seat tank. The Aux is 4 gallons. So I have a total of 11.5 gallons. Don't yet know what my burn rate will be, but I should have close to 2 hours duration with a little reserve.

I understand the problem with trying to stop flying in order to do the upgrade. The only way I was able to do that was to sell my 503. Then I had to put the new one on in order to get back in the air. But I also like the building part "almost" as much as the flying part.

Good luck and don't hesitate to get back to me if you have more questions,

Scott

Post from Racer ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water cooled Yamaha snowmobiles have this kind of setup except there unit is plastic, I have an extra tank with cap like you see in the picture but the nipple that holds the overflow drain hose has been broken off, If you would like I can sell you it cheap.
Also you can keep an eye on E-Bay
Search Yamaha Snowmobile Parts

Do a search on the Forum for "Expansion Tank" and you'll find this thread.

Scott
Sweet machine!
Thanks
Paddy
Ditto on the NICE machine! Makes us regular folks want to just give up in shame.:sad:
Paddy, I would suggest you Fly it and enjoy this summer and plan your new engine conversion for next winter. Time management!:D

Looks great --the only thing you need to change is to get rid of the ZIP ties that hold on the storage compartment. You need to make proper clamps for that--

Mike,

I like the fact that you have really studied the pictures.

I wrestled with that. I don't have a very sophistocated shop and never came up with a reasonable way to make a metal attachment system. I did attempt to make brackets to hold the torpedo tube. If you look really close you can see that the back attach point uses an aluminum bracket (in conjunction with a ZIP tie).
But, in my frustartion, I happened to see this bag of BIG Zip ties hanging on the wall above my workbench. I started playing with them and I really like this Zip tie solution better. It is easy, clean, light and really strong. The ties I used are rated at 175 pounds each and I used 3. So theoretically, I could put over 500 pounds in that thing and not loose it. I'll never carry more than a few pounds.

Thanks,

Scott