Endeavor returns

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+
Endeavour just annoumced her return with a window shaking sonic boom.
I can't believe the space program is being aborted.
The feeling of that sonic boom in my gut is worth all I've had to pay into it.
This isn't political.

Last edited:
Yeah I hear you. I personally loved to watch them lift offs from my front yard and enjoyed the rumbling sound. And love them sonic boom even when it's 5 in the morning. I agree this is not political but again .... it kind of is. They were lied to.... Oh well. Let's hope we don't lose NASA. It'd be sad.

Man's future lies out there in the stars.

As an entity I believe we are driven to explore the far horizons, and those lie beyond our planet.

To abandon space is to deny our heritage.

Both of my parents worked at the Cape. I was conceived and born there.
So much innovation and history comes from the space program.
It feels like they are lowering the U.S. flag for the final time, shutting off the lights and locking the door. :(

Very sad, and to my mind introspective.

Our forefathers progressed by looking forwards beyond the immediate to what lay beyond, not navel gazing.

We need the money here for the social programs, unless we find life on another planet, then we could bring them here and give them "free" government handouts.......as long as the vote the "correct" way....sounds familiar huh?

We need to warp time & travel at the speed of light to get anywhere good. What did they learn at Area 51 ?

I sure don't want to live on a space station.

I am still working on my anti-gravity belt , but don't tell anyone . The government will stifle my progress. Like all the good things that have been invented.

In my life we won't get anything good done in space, so I agree with Scott......use the money for something good ,like taking over the world.

We are doomed to stay here !

I remember watching the first shuttle take off while i was at school. Still glued to the television when i see it now. But, Forget anything like space programmes for a long time...maybe ever if you are determined to follow our model for healthcare. You will soon be bankrupt just like we are!

It was good while it lasted.

why don't you guys get your facts straight on NASA and our space programs! we are redirecting our priorities, we've fallen behind on a lot of issues.

It'll probably be a nation that doesn't have quite such a developed social conscience, and a perhaps bit more drive and national imperative to push outwards that will take over and proceed into space.

But it will happen.

It'll probably be a nation that doesn't have quite such a developed social conscience, and a perhaps bit more drive and national imperative to push outwards that will take over and proceed into space.

But it will happen.

True. India are forging ahead with their space programme. How many Billions do the UK waste on aid to India again???

I personally feel it is a big mistake not expanding our goals of space travel such as sending astronauts to Mars. Our journey of putting a man on the men reaped countless benefits.

This country used to lead, now we are starting to follow...and someday I am afraid we will just be watching.

Everyone needs a goal.....to dig down deep and try to achieve it. No different with countries.

Stan

When the British Empire was being created, social conditions were a very much lower priority, and accordingly dire. The Empire created huge.

It is beyond, certainly I, to weigh priorities however it is my belief that our future may well depend upon moving beyond our present boundaries.

As a species, from our early evolution we have explored boundaries. My own feeling is that it is perhaps a genetic imperative, quite possibly linked to survival and perpetuation, that will push us beyond our present limitations.

Last edited:
I would love to see some Mars dirt in person..................WOW !

Where do you think we could get to ? Pluto ?

It's always better to galvanize people with a space race or goal then to create another foe to go to war with.
It's still hard to believe we jumped to the moon in less then 10 years, and 40 years later............?
What happened to those great engineers? The great drive of the U.S.?
Are social programs the culprit??

I think that when we did it 40 years ago there was a compulsion to do it because it had never been done before. The brightest minds focused on a single task. It's different today - been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Not only did my father work at the Cape, I worked both Apollo and Shuttle and a lot of International Space Station payloads. From that perspective, I point out that, in the fire and smoke arena, we are flying the very same designs as 50+ years ago. Von Braun, Goddard, et al would feel very comfortable pulling a wrench on these vehicles. That's not an incentive for young engineers and scientists. Or taxpayers. The leap frog technology hasn't happened. Yet.

Social programs in America cost over $90 Billion every week. This is almost as much as an entire year of the War in Iraq.

Which do you suppose is breaking us?

The State is not our keeper, when it becomes that, we all become slaves.

Far better to demand from one another that we capitalize each our own enumerated future, insuring personal responsibility; than to communize them in the pot of coerced servitude, demeaning life itself.

Terry, I love those numbers, Thanks. Where did you get them?