It now time to plan for Wrens fall fly-in, formerly known at "ROC"

Scott, I imagine by the time Wrens gets here fuel will be no problem.

We heard that here in Atlanta 2 weeks ago. It is still not getting better and they are saying a couple of weeks.....

Scott,

We are starting to see fuel (at least Regular) at most of the stations in Kennesaw today. They are very proud of it (over $4.00/gallon), but it is available, at least.

*JC*

Gasoline availability in Wrens

Gasoline availability in Wrens

Scott,
You wrote: "What is the fuel availability situation around Wrens???"

We have only five gas stations and we have no problems. Of course we also have a gas distributor (with several giant tanks) here. All grades are available.

As for the price. At the beginning of last week the stations here went from $3.679 to $4.999 in less than two days. But then they were socked with the accusation of price gouging so they all lowered their prices to $3.999 and that's what I paid today. Mid-grade is $4.09 and premium is $4.19.

Gas in Wrens is usually about 20 cents more than in Augusta, but Augusta has some shortages now.

John

Deadline to pre-register for the Fall Fly-in: Saturday, October 4

Deadline to pre-register for the Fall Fly-in: Saturday, October 4

There is a deadline to pre-register for the Wrens Fall Fly-in, 2008 -- October 10-11; Early Bird Days October 8-9; and the Early Early Bird Days October 6-7.

The check or money order must be received no later than Saturday, October 4, to receive the $5 a night powered camping discount. So you need to mail it by Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

If you don't or can't pre-register you still might be able to find powered spots but if you want to choose ahead of time look at the camping site map at: http://jcmservices.net/WFFcampinglayout08.htm and reserve your spot.

TO SUMMARIZE THE RATES
Here is what you need to know if you are going to bring a motorhome or tent, or want to be a vendor. Camping, with power, is $15 a night, from Wednesday, October 8th, through Saturday, October 11th. This charge is for pre-paid reservations. The powered spots, if you don't reserve, are $20 a night. Camping, with power, before October 10th, is $5 a night.

If you don't need power, camping is $10 a night, from Wednesday, October 8th through Saturday, October 11th. This charge is for non-powered sites without a reserved spot. Camping, without power, before October 8th, is FREE!

If you are a vendor (not just selling some personal flying stuff) but are selling commercial products or will be acting as a flight instructor and doing training at the fly-in, the rate is $50 vendors fee for the event. The vendor's fee does not include the camping.

If you want to reserve ahead of time please send a check or money order,
made out to Wrens Fall Fly-in, to:
Wrens Fall Fly-in
Wrens Memorial Airport
1311 Airport Road
Wrens, Georgia 30833

Also, e-mail [email protected] that you want to reserve a certain spot. Your e-mailed temporary reservation will hold your spot for a short period of time until the payment is made.
If your payment is not sent to the above address your permanent reservation will not be made!

Looking forward to seeing all of you in less than two weeks!

Wrens is Ready! Y'all Come on Down!

Wrens is Ready! Y'all Come on Down!

Yesterday, October 4, Ray Pierce and John Magnan set up the power and water. Here's a photo of Ray working on the power http://jcmservices.net/Pierce100408.jpg . He's at Jesse Garza's reserved spot #11. Here's a photo of John working on the water pressure regulator http://jcmservices.net/Magnan100408.jpg at the edge of the Wrens Airport lounge.

Note that we have over 2000 feet of electrical cable on the field. There is also about 1000 feet of water hose. A few years ago PRA 13 decided not to buy the preferred "White hose" but decided to use the green. 1000 feet of White hose would cost around $500. Of course, if anyone wanted to donate the White hose we will accept the donation! There may be a slight "off taste" to the water from the hose. But if you wanted to fill water jugs in the hangar you are welcome to do that. Also, please limit your power draw -- we can't handle it if all the powered campers decided to draw 30 amps at one time!

We spread the work day activities throughout the past few weeks. A week ago Club Member Rick Revels used a riding mower to mow around runway lights and other areas that needed low mowing. Philip, who flies the foot-launched paraplane, hand mowed around the hangars and lounge. John mowed the grass strip about 8 days ago. Also the city used mowers to mow the edges of the runway. Then two days ago the City of Wrens used large bush hog tractors to mow the part of the field that we had not mowed. On Thursday and Friday John finish mowed the camping areas then put the lines and signs down. Early next week he will finish mow the 1.7 acre helicopter field and paint the large H in the middle of that field. Barry Kropelin photocopied some of the many forms needed for the fly-in.

Weather Forecast: For the next 6 days the daytime weather is expected to be partly cloudy with temperatures in the mid-80s Monday and Tuesday. Then the temperature will drop to the mid 70s during the day. There is a small possibility of some rain Wednesday through Friday. At night the temperature will be in the mid to upper 50s. For campers there is always the warm airport lounge to retreat to if it gets too cold or wet.

There is a lot of construction activity in the hangar you can look at and even give advice about. Yesterday some of the men were working on finishing up a not-quite-ultralight Cobra. John Sligar test flew the Cobra successfully: http://jcmservices.net/CobraJohnS100408-1725.jpg and http://jcmservices.net/CobraJohnS100408-1725b.jpg and had a slight landing mishap which damaged the nose wheel (no injuries!) so they will be working on that.

So, everything is ready. Here's the empty field taken from where Ron Awad will camp: http://jcmservices.net/CampingAreaReady100408.jpg It's waiting for you!

So, Y'all Come on Down!
We're Ready for the 2008 Wrens Fall Fly-in!

Great job John and crew!

Now...I'd like to put in my request for sunny and 75ish!

Barry (Wrens bound) K

I just finished changing oil in the truck, checking brakes, greasing wheel bearings in the camper, and taking care of a few "yet to be dones" on the somax® :D.

I'm going to fly for about 15 minutes this evening, then land, take the rotors off, do some cleaning and get it ready to load in the camper tuesday evening.

Wrens, here I come!

What

What

Got the final approval earlier this week to bring in the Apache. We should get there around 10:00 and leave about 16:00 (4 p.m.) Hope to see everyone there. Bringing a change of clothes, leave slip, and my new gyro helmet should anyone need me to test fly anything.

Rusty

Day are you coming in on Rusty ?? U may have said in an earlier post that I haven't noticed

will you be allowed to be there the entire event..

Steve

I hope it is realy good.I was planning on being there even had a motel reserved but the wife is having a retirement dinner in her honer in Detroit Recieving Hospital on Friday Oct. 10 . So I will be miss it. I was planning to fatten McGowan's wallet a litle but will have to wait until another time.

Steve, I think he said he will be there Saturday with a big helicopter with a machine gun under the nose..... From what he posted, it didn't sound like he would be there any day other than Saturday

See you Wednesday Steve, I plan to get on the road around 9 am.... Be there about lunch time. Maybe we can help each other set up our campsites since were gonna be neighbors!

Maybe next year...

Maybe next year...

Good news and not so good news.

The good news is Robert got his Dominator back in the air today after some final prop pitch adjustments. The 26' blades were just what the machine needed as he informs me he can now climb at 4800 rpm on the subaru, which is a big improvement. His landings are softer and glide better as well. Did I mention his new color scheme looks even better. My only gripe is that I wanted to paint my SPH that color.... But not to worry.

He tells me though that he will not be going to Wrens.

My story. As some of you may know my father died over the summer and as the older more responsible brother, had to take matters in hand and moved mom down to North Carolina. Mom is not well either..... I had hoped that I would have time to do some gyro maint, have mom settled in by the time Wrens came around I could get away. No luck. Mom fell middle of last week at church in the process of trying to make new friends at my insistance...

and while she did not break her hip, she whacked her cruller on the pavement and bruised her leg badly etc. etc. After a week in the hospital and a hand full of pain meds she is now "thrilled" to use a walker, previously she trucked around with a cane, (but with the speed and care of a 3 year old running with a pair of scissors).....Handicap ramp, mom insisted she did not need no stinking ramp ! Trying to reason with her was pointless, it was all a big conspiracy !!!. Note to all of you who still have most of your parents, If they are in good health thank GOD that you do not have to care for them and that they do not need constant care, assisted living or a nursing home, when the folks get old, you can realize real quick how lucky you are to have all your marbles.

It was only a matter of time before mom fell and thank God she did not break anything but I have to baby sit her and keep on top of things for now. I almost had a mind to throw her in the car and take her on a road trip just for giggles....but the budget is shot with all that has gone on, the shop, extra quiet with all the panic Wall Street has offered up the last 2 weeks... it has been a busy year. I had been so looking fwd to going but will have to wait.

At least my gyro is in bay one getting some needed upgrades, TLC. etc.....Weathering the storm as usual....

Jonathan

Feed the dream

Feed the dream

Hi all

I'm a newbie, wanabe lurker who just doesn't have the finances (long story but involves 5 grandkids I'm sadly having to help raise) to learn to fly gyros although this has become a dream. I live about an hour from Wrens and plan on being there Friday and then again on Saturday with my pilot nephew.

I took a 20 minute flight with Dave Sease last year at Wrens and it was the best 20 minutes I have had in a long time and would love to have the opportunity to do something similar this year.

Don't think I can afford an official lesson but will do what I need to to get in the air. Nephew almost has his FW CFI and does represent a chance to at least get my FW PPL in the not so distant future. I know he will get the gyro bug also if he gets a ride. :)

In any case, I will be there watching and having the time of my life.

Is it Friday yet?

Harold

Day 1- Wrens Fall Fly-in 2008 - McAllister's here

Day 1- Wrens Fall Fly-in 2008 - McAllister's here

Day 1 -- Monday, October 6, the Early-Early Bird day.

Dan McAllister came in to the Wrens airport, and his camping spot, about 6:00 PM. He did not have a good day. He was quite late since his vehicle fuel pump went on on the way here from North Carolina. He had ordered a prop for his gyro to be delivered by UPS (next day??) and it did not come in. He hopes it will be in tomorrow. Here's Dan with his gyro: http://jcmservices.net/McAllister100608.jpg - without a prop.

John Magnan finish mowed the 1.7 acre helicopter landing area. He also put down preliminary flagging for the big white H he'll put down tomorrow. Phillip and Janie (the foot launched power parachute people) were there and mowed the "grassy knoll" -- yes, we have one. It should be large enough for one of the smaller (not Apache) helicopters to use, perhaps the Hughes.

The city of Wrens finished the rest of the airport mowing with its large tractor and mowers.

So, all is ready!
Dan and the rest of us are waiting for you!

Looks like there might be some rain Wednesday evening into Thursday, but it will clear out by Thursday afternoon or so.

Last edited:
Hey Dan ! Is that a 2.2 on your machine ? Whose redrive ?

I hope you get that prop & pull some thrust numbers for us ! HAVE FUN GUYS !

Its looking the wednesday and thursday are going to be "fly in between spurts of rain" type of days. Prolly just stay around the patch and grab a flight when you can get it.