Red's GyroBee build.

hey thanks tim, if you fly that commuter you got nuts the size of everest lol! I'm scared of helis but I'm workin on tha gyro! lookin forward to mr neil!

Red it looks good,go get some training with gary,he was my CFI, great guy and a great pilot. and his rates were the best I found. I have 14 hours with him.

Don't be stupid and try and self train, you may do ok but why chance it, you have done a lot of work to build your Gyro and I am impressed how fast you built it. heck you beat me and all I did was a restore, great job. now get proper training so we can enjoy reading about your safe flights.

quick question, is it possible to have a rotor pitched too much that it will auto and hand start but not accelerate after balancing on the mains? the stick is heavy when the blades are light, was up 6 inches off the ground and the stick was still kinda heavy! this is for a friend this is what he told me! any ideas ?

Jeff, tell your "friend" to be very careful! The machine can fly way before you are ready.
As to your first question, NO! If the wheels were 6" of the ground, the blades were turning fast enough to produce lift = load. More lift and you would be climbing.
Jeff, you have done a tremendous job building that machine. My hat's off to you. Back off and learn before you roll it up in a ball!:sad:

You said
"the stick is heavy when the blades are light"
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you mean you were having to hold the gyro up with the stick, you need more trim spring tension. You could add more pitch, but thet would make the blades harder to start. I would advise some spring tension.

Red,I rebuilt the Commuter to resell, working on a 2 seat Commuter project when I sell this one, with dual controls and my CFI buddy with me, flying a Commuter 2B would be a blast, they will out fly a 269 Hughes. a commuter 2B will top out at 110 m.p.h.

I will be honest,I think the Bee is a great choice of Gyros and if I was to get another Gyro I think a Bee would be just the ticket, I like the wide landing gears.

trust me. flight time with Gary Neal is money well spent.

Flying without training.....just plain dumb!

I reserve the right not to comment about Jeff's flying his gyro without training. If I pizzed him off making some suggestions about his tail, then I would send him over the edge on this subject. All I can say is good luck Jeff, and these gyros can get outta control real dam quick, and not knowing what to do will either kill ya or at the least total the machine.

Hey pete, my problem turned out to be a little slop in the controls that I didn't notice which didn't allow the rotor to tilt back to its full potential! what I believe was happening was the rotor head was in its centered position when I thought it was way back and me thinking the rotor was up to speed I would push the stick forward to increase airspeed which was probally making the rotor level! Hope ya understand and love ya guys! I don't have a death wish and wanna live a long time! We all become test dummies at some point tho!

My test runs at balancing on the mains revealed a few problems one is my rudder cables need more guides to keep them from bouncing and rubbing on metal so I built some hardwood blocks back at the tail! also the left pedal torque is noticable so I will aim the leading edge of the tail to the right on the tail boom! this maching won't fly till I'm capable of flying it!

Listen to the rotors they will talk to you! :yo:

Jeff, tell your "friend" to be very careful! The machine can fly way before you are ready.
As to your first question, NO! If the wheels were 6" of the ground, the blades were turning fast enough to produce lift = load. More lift and you would be climbing.
Jeff, you have done a tremendous job building that machine. My hat's off to you. Back off and learn before you roll it up in a ball!:sad:

You said I'm not sure what you mean, but if you mean you were having to hold the gyro up with the stick, you need more trim spring tension. You could add more pitch, but thet would make the blades harder to start. I would advise some spring tension.

Last edited:
Safety can't be your number one concern if you're doing what you're doing.

Un-necessary accidents only give the gyro community a bad rap.

Just telling it like it is.

I don't suggest anyone do what I'm doing, but I'm not normal barry! hehe! I'm looking forward to gary neil! how did you start barry buddy?:angel:

Safety can't be your number one concern if you're doing what you're doing.

Un-necessary accidents only give the gyro community a bad rap.

Just telling it like it is.

I started with going on intro gyro rides at several Bensen Days. I got a little stick time every time. After I got my gyro I started my lessons with Steve M. before I did anything in my gyro.

good for you tim! if you listen to a rotor system it will talk to you!tha rotor will speed up and talk to you!:sad:

I started with Gary Neil.....before ever starting my engine!

How do you know how to translate what a rotor is saying to you if you've never taken a foreign language lesson?

What's so difficult about just doing it the right way?

Just my 2 cents worth.

No use in beating a dead horse with a bent rotor blade. It wont bring it back to life.:twitch:

There's another thread with a psychic prediction which you may or may not believe.
But it doesn't take a psychic to foresee the outcome in this thread.
I've been gradually getting seat time over the last 4 months and wouldn't even consider doing what you're doing, Jeff.
Guys with brains bigger than their balls are called survivors.

Well here comes another black eye to the sport. Red is not going to listen to anyone here, he will continue until it bites him in the a$$,with any luck he will only mess up the machine and not take him self out.

I am disappointed to see his joking attitude about how he is not normal and thinks he can just train him self,when it is clear he has no clue about how fast these machines can and will bite you. if he does get flying,with out proper training he probably won't be able to bring it down in one peice.
getting airborne is not the problem. landings are where it will bite you.

Get training .

Red save up and get training.

Gary is one of the cheapest rates I have found and he is not far from you,he may even still have his camper you can stay in. when I went for training I paid for block time and he had a camper he let me stay in. 15 hours at $140.00 an hour ( his last quoted rate) is only $2,100 .
you can't buy new set blades for that and 15 hours is enough for sport pilot.

Guys with brains bigger than their balls are called survivors.

LOL Larry! :) Hmmmm I always thought they were called homosapiens. If that's relevant to me .....I was pointed and laughed at last time I had to drop my pants..... what does that say about my brain activity and size? No wonder I have an obsession with jelly beans......:eek:
I am with you Larry. Good for you. Don't wear out your guy I am coming to use him too !
Red. You suck! Don't tempt your faith man. I will kill you if you die!

Red- The way you told Tim Chick how the rotors talk to you, and your stubborness to take advice an and your know it all attitude, why even bother hanging around us anymore? We can't teach you a thing. Stan

Out of respect for members on the forum if you are going to continue to self train don’t post about it. Gyros do not need any more black eyes. I had a feeling you were going to try to self train a few months back. Your skypup is nothing like that gyro. Your pup was a 2 axis. This is a 3 axis rotorcraft! My Kolb was nothing like it. The sensitivity of the controls and the ground handling were much different. The dual training I got with Steve was well worth the money as I learned the major differences between fixed wing and gyro that can not be learned by reading! Three Cs will kill you and you are definitely working on that confidence. I though you said you used to get scared sometimes flying the pup. Well you will damn sure get scared flying that gyro especially if you don’t know what to do.