My New Gyro

Nope still got it. But it is not ready to fly yet. Will have to do some modifications to it, to fit my interest but it will fly as it is. I have the engine and peddles to complete it. All it needs is a rotor head blades, prop and instruments and it is done. This one was complete and the price I could not pass up so I got it. It would also take less work and money to get flying so I did it frst.

Ok All In here are the pics I think you are looking for.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
Or maybe it these you are looking for. Jamie what do you think so far.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
This one looks great, you sure do a good job of building Dan.

Ok guys the main airframe is completed and here are some pics for you. When the weather clears up outside I will pull it out and get a full shoot for you. The paint needs to dry and harden for another week then the polish can go on to finish the finish. I have to make the tail for the aircraft and make a repair to the preotator system on the head and is will be ready to fly. Enjoy the pics.

Dan

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
here are some more.

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
Ok the weather cleared enought to pull it out of the garage so here are some full pics for yea. Oh you can also see my new home for the next year in the background. It was listed for 49,900 but I got it for 25,000. It was a great day. I do mean the RV of course.

Dan

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You really did that one up quickly Dan. Looks very nice now.

What is your situation for Instructors up in that neck of the woods.

The RV looks very nice but what do you mean your going to be living in that, or is that what you will be living in when you go for instruction?

Few of the guys at Rissington have caravans, campers, tents. I have been very lucky and had a bed in caravan, but did try the hanger and tent a couple of times. Cold in winter.

No I mean that is going to be my home for the next year and a half. My job is moving to VA but Lisa's is still here in Maryland till 2011 and them hers moves to VA as well. Sence it is going to be me and my son for now the RV should fit our needs well it has a 16' slide out so should provide enough room for us two. The house market here will improve when Ft. Momuth moves here from New Jersey and I can sell my house without a loss. Chris Burgess is still the only instructor we have up here but at least he is the best from what alot of folks say on the forum. I have had serveral e-mail conversation with him and seems a very likable person. I am putting funds away now to cover at the least 15 hours of instruction to start with.

Dan, maybe it's just light reflection in the photos, but it apears you may have the prop mounted backward! ?? The curved side of the airfoil should be to the front, the flat side to the rear.

We once had a guy do that years ago, Pete. It still pushes but it sure doesn’t like going skinny edge first; his prop disintegrated in a shower of toothpicks.

That was on a Mac; maybe it won’t blow up at the slower speed of a Rotax with redrive.

Ok guys I know the prop is on backwards it is no even tighten down just on there for the pic. Won't fit in the garage with the prop on because of the bikes but saw no reason to tell the boy to turn it around. He did not understand leading edge first or that he could have pulled the cord a bit to find out which way the engine turns. But was ok for the pic.

Ok guys I know the prop is on backwards it is no even tighten down just on there for the pic. Won't fit in the garage with the prop on because of the bikes but saw no reason to tell the boy to turn it around. He did not understand leading edge first or that he could have pulled the cord a bit to find out which way the engine turns. But was ok for the pic.

Dan, sorry if I offended you, I wasn't trying to be a smartass, but, like Chuck said above, it happen! Here's a true story:

A few years back a friend of mine built a very nice SeaRay amphibian. He had flown it quite some time when he decided do some engine mantainance. In the process he removed the prop and ... late at night, ... put it back on backwards!

The following day he tried to fly the airplane and it wouldn't reach takeoff speed. He called me highly fustrated and totally bewildered. The engine ran fine, turned up static RPM like it was supposed to, but wouldn't reach take off speed. He asured me he had not changed the pitch, it was exactly as before. He said it sounded different. I ask him if he was sure he didn't put the prop on backwards, after all, it WAS late at night. Now here's the funny part; He laughed at me and called me silly! He said " If it was backward, it would push backward, it pushes forward, but just doesn't seem to push enough!"

There comes atime when one realizes that argument is pointless, I told him just go look at the F#*&%! prop and assure the leading edge is in the direction of rotation. He called back later with an embarassed laugh and confessed, yeah, that was the problem.

Uk had an aircraft called a Walrus during WW2.
It had 2 wooden 2 blade props bolted on the same shaft to act as a 4 blade prop. Apparently made a funny noise when run at full power.

They were launching one from a carrier and althought it ran down the deck it just fell into the sea. It was amphibious so no problem, apparently 4/5 launches were made before some bright spark realised one prop was on backwards.

:focus:

Nice story Karl, perhaps a little artistic licence there. Fall of the end of a carrier and it probably wont be going anywhere, first off the carrier would run over it, and if it didn't it would be in heavy maintainance before the second try let alone the 3rd 4th and 5th but stranger things have happened

But yup there were indeed some bright sparks in the RN aircraft carrier world. First deck T/O and landings from a moving ship, angled flight deck, steam catapult, landing mirror system, ski-jump deck to name a few.

Wow, your fast!!!

Look'n good Dan!!

Thanks for sharing..

Dan,

Is there a reason you did not use the normal type K&N air filter?

It must be on optical illusion, but in some of the photos it looks like the mast is actually leaning forward in relation to the keel.

It looks like you are planning on having two methods of steering. I assume the lower steering bar will have a brake. Or is this just for extra tight turns.

I'm not sure if you're going to like that control set up. It looks like you're going to need three hands to pre rotate (I'm assuming the right lever is the pre-rotator). I know when I pre-rotate I like to have control of throttle and wheel/belt friction at the same time. So how are you going to manage that? Are you going to switch hands on the stick when you want to add more throttle?