Interchangeable Dragon Wings

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
After reading all this stuff I had an idea ! :rolleyes:

Ok I want some DW's.... How can I use them on my 447, my SxS ,& my KB-2 when she is done?

Alright.... The longest DW blade is 12' ...right? The shortest hub is 1' ...right? That means 25' ....right?

Could I get away running 25ftrs on my 447? Then get a 2 or 3 ft hub & run 27 or 28 ftrs on the SxS. How many variations can I make with 12' blades?

How many different hub blocks does Ernie offer or are they universal fit?How much are the hub bars? MJ, Is the sale still on?

See what I'm getting at? This would really justify my purchase in my little gyro oriented mind! ;)

Chris Ernie no longer offers hub bars separate from the blades as far as I know. I believe each set of blades and hub bar is drilled as a set and if you tried to use a different hub bar on a set of blades the holes might not line up well. Also Dragon wings IMHO are not a good choice for big heavy machines, your SxS might be too heavy for them to give you good performance and a smooth stick. Every two place gyro I have flown in with Dragon Wings had a ton of stick shake. But the Single place machines normally have little to no shake with dragonwings.

So I would just buy a set of 23 or 24 footers for the aircommand - probably 23's - and just fly them on that machine only.

I should have read your post a little better. I do think the Dragon wings - the 23 footers - will do just as fine on the KB as well.

My KB will have an EA81 on it, also a heavy machine. What other 2 place machines, other than Steve Mcgowan's or an RAF/Sparrowhawk have you flown in with something other than DW's on it?

If this is the case with DW's, then I cannot justify the purchase. Where is Mike B?

I have flown in

Steves trainer - skywheels and plenty of shake

Pats RAF with RAF blades - not too much shake

Garys RAF with RAF blades - not much shake at all

My old RFI-150 with Rotorhawk blades - plenty of shake!

Maxie Wildes Aircommand with Dragon wings - plenty of shake

Kevins Tandem Dominator with Dragon wings - plenty of shake

Ricks Marchetti trainer with Dragon wings, not sure if of blades on that one - not too much shake

Jake Jacobs two place tandem with Dragon wings - not too much but far from smooth shake

And that is all I can recall, I might have flown in some other two places and forgot. They all shook though.

My point was , Most machines other than Raf's & your RFI are flying with DW's.

The smoothest 2 place with DW's , that I have flown in, was Dick D.'s tandem Dom. Of course though, it had his slider head on it. I hope Dick & Carol are coming to Mentone!!!!!

PS If I go with 23' DW's they would be 11' blades, right? I could never make those long enough for my SxS. Right?

What ever happened to that newbie guy who showed up at ROC with this beautiful "trailer Queen" KB-2. He seemed a little nuts. I wonder if he'll ever fly it? ;) :D :rolleyes: Hey I'm learning the faces!! We're Leaving tonight, man am I hopped up!

Attachments

• IM001098.JPG
    IM001098.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Chri,
Sorry I have been off the computer for awhile. Ron is right DW are sold in sets they can not be interchanged with another hub bar. The holes are not the issue so much as the balancing of the blades as a unit. Dad also tracks the blades as a unit when he is test flying them. If you were to trade out hub bars without retracing and rebalacing the unit it would be totally out of wack. As for your single place machines I would get a set of 24's and you get a little lighter disk loading on the AC and a little heavier disk loading on the KB. As for your sxs I would get a totally seperate set of blades for it. You can get a set of DW's smooth on a heavy machine it just takes ittle more work. whiole you are at Mentone look up Joe Swanton ( not sure if that is his last name), He flys the only sxs Dominator go for a ride if he'll let you. Then tells us what you think.

SxS Dominator

SxS Dominator

Thanks Mike,You must mean this one. Does your dad like SxS's. That's all I ever wanted.

Attachments

• IM000842.JPG
    IM000842.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
Here's another pic. I'd love to see this one with an EJ-22 or a 912/914 Rotax.

Attachments

• IM000841.JPG
    IM000841.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
Chris,
Yes he does his first two place was sxs with 150 hp lycoming. It had a body on it similar to a raf. That Dominator is the only sxs he ever built. Without a body they are very draggie and take lot's of power to push through the air. Thus is the reason he went with the 3 cylinder Artic Cat. It makes about 160 hp, but is extremly peekie. He has something in the works I think you'll like. But you'll have to wait till BD's to see it. I am not authorized to say anything more about that.

Screw-in

Chris! Have you lost your mind? The Trailor Queen is "DaScrew-Driver" and she flies like a lil bat-of-hell with the 23 DWs. I'm surprised Ron left out he flew it at SX Days.

Screw-Out

Attachments

• EssexGyrosDSD.jpg
    EssexGyrosDSD.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
I know John, I was kidding!