ATV Tundra Tires and Alaska STOL winner

lanichol

Aircraft
1st RAF 2000 AAI Sparrowhawk, RAF 2000 stab/drop keel/horiz
Tundra tires can be made from ATV tires.

Driving toward Manhattan yesterday, a FW flies across the highway above me with these large Tundra Tires. Looking around there was a small hanger I had been wondering about for several years, but never could see a runway, nor have I ever stopped.

Well, there was two grass strips on the back side of the hill I could see once I got to the hanger. This Kitfox had no doors, and was floating, climbing, gliding, finally bumped across the ground to a stop. What the heck.

Looking at the Kitfox Tundra tires, they looked like ATV tires without the tread. I have often wondered if Tundra tires were possible on a gyro.

The pilot gets out and after cordial greetings, I commented that the Tundra Tires look just like 4-wheeler ATV tires. "Yup, you should have been here to help grind off the trend, it took three days."

We chatted till nearly dark, and I mentioned I had seen videos of Cubs skimming the water and landing on a river sand bar. The pilot and a neighbor guy down the road had just came back from Alaska. The neighbor had just won the Alaska Valdez STOL Contest. Right after the contestYouTube - ‪Valdez STOL Contest 2011 teaser‬‏ they crashed on an island known for bears with no gun. Concerned about bears, they push the “911” selection on Doyle's SPOT transmitter. Read the linked story.

While we were talking, he pulls two bolts, folds the wings back and pushed the plane into the hanger, probably a total of 5 minutes. Very Cool.

EAA's Coverage of the 2010 Valdez STOL Competition. (Aviation Rodeo - Several tundra tires are 36 inch)
zttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0G0HdF3w1Y

Attachments

• turftire.jpg
    turftire.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: