Odessy 12V Battery.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. GT-VX1&2, Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
The battery we bought and mounted a couple of months ago is the Odyssey PC 625. Weighs just over 13 Lb

Sadly the 12V prerotator that we were hoping to get did not get the results wanted during testing and we are going to go with the 24V prerotator and have been told to get ourselves two very much smaller 12V batteries instead

We are considering selling the Oddessy which is brand new and has simply been mounted on the gyro. It was over $100, trying to find the receipt and bill, probably don't have the box. Might sell for a good price. It is on the gyro in Zephyr hills but would ship it

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/powersports.html

* YB16-CLB replacement
* 625 cranking amps for 5 seconds
* 545 cranking amps for 10 seconds
* 480 cranking amps for 20 seconds
* Short circuit current over 1800A
* 27 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load

Attachments

• Battery position.jpg
    Battery position.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
The battery we bought and mounted a couple of months ago is the Odyssey PC 625. Weighs just over 13 Lb

Odyssey are good batteries and the same as the aircraft brand Hawker.

Have you considered two odyseey's for 24 volts?

They are good but...

They are good but...

They can be hit or miss, meaning if you get a good one they last a long time with no problems, plus they put out a lot of amps for their size.

If you get a dud, and I have seen many a dud, either they do not hold a charge always need a charger on them, or they don't produce the rated power they claim. My 625 produced a SOLID 300 amps at 10.5 volts when new. 8 years later it still will load a carbon pile to 250 amps at about 10 volts. I would buy a new one but might spend the money on the TSo'd unit. I think they are all being made in China now so that might be the problem.

J

Larry three reasons I wouldn't do that. Weight cost and space.

Nicolas has informed me that two very much smaller 12V ones would do the job, however I would like quality ones

I use the Odyssey in my Twinstar. Has lots of amps and holds a good charge over the winter.

The Odyssey needs a special charger that uses a pulse charge. It will actually restore a depleted battery and remove the deposits that can build up inside. My battery was getting run down and then I put t on the recommended charger and its like new.

The one thing you cannot do with them is let them get run down to zero.

Hmm just learned a couple of things here.

A special pulse charger Robert? Does that mean a normal charger is not good for it? What happens to them if they do run down to zero?

J are you saying that inability to hold a charge indicate a dud? What other test, if any, can you do to find out the quality of the battery?

As I have said we have not used ours at all yet. I do not know if it is charged or not, although I seem to think they said that they sent them out charged.

On a "brand new one" ?

On a "brand new one" ?

My buddy got told that after his 3rd replacement in 2 months. We checked the system for charge, charging output, current, volts, parasitic load and ac leakage from the alternator... System was spot on. Only thing was battery would not hold a charge after a week. He spent considerable money for that trick charger, they claim it charges at a higher voltage, and amperage, which might be true but your garden variety 10 am automatic or 6 amp manual batter charger should be able to charge the battery to full state of charge in a day. I mean your average charging system is not going to charge a battery at 15 or 16 volts unless the regulator is hotwired .....

I got annoyed with odyssey because they said just put the charger on the battery when you want to use it, just what I want to do, sit around for 15 mins charging a bad battery that could not hold squat after a week. Well it was not my battery so I really did not care, I was just annoyed that after 250 big ones that it could not do what my 7 year old battery could do.

Like I said, they do have a known high rate of defects, but when you get a good one they work like they should.

Jonathan

The Odyssey needs a special charger that uses a pulse charge. It will actually restore a depleted battery and remove the deposits that can build up inside. My battery was getting run down and then I put t on the recommended charger and its like new.

The one thing you cannot do with them is let them get run down to zero.

Thanks Jonathan. Just hope we didn't get a dud. As you say they are expensive and supposed to be the best around, that was why I was prepared to spend the money for it.

Hope we can either find out if we can get the required 24V out of it or will have to swop it out for two smaller 12V jobs.

If we did have to do that any recommendations on smaller compact good ones.

Leigh

Look here http://pulsetech.net/productinfo/productinfo.html

My understanding of gel batteries is that a standard charger will kill them quickly. I emailed the manufacturer of the solar model of the charger to discuss whether my battery was dead or recoverable and also how and whether I could extend the wire from the solar panel to my machine by an extra 25 feet.... they were more than helpful!

Check it out

From what I understand from the dealer Hawker is the aircraft version of an odyssey. My odyssey has stayed charged for six months.

http://www.microbattery.com/dry-cell-batteries-odyssey.htm

http://www.aerobatteries.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1&chapter=0

Most SLA aviation battery manufacturers produce their plates by casting lead (mixed with calcium or antimony to make the metal more rigid) in a mold, resulting in thicker plates. Hawker uses a unique casting process that produces a continuous thin strip for plate manufacturing.

Thinner plates mean each cell can contain more plates without increasing the size or weight of the battery. The result is that the HEP SLA batteries have higher output power and are lighter in weight than ANY other SLA battery in the world-gravometric/volumetric comparison!

No charging is required when storing the battery on the shelf for up to two years at 25ºC or less.

http://www.securaplane.com/msbatts.html

Hawker’s unique pure lead grids and recombination technology ensure long shelf life and fast recharge capabilities

Just got the answer I was looking for on conversion of 12V to 24V and whether I could still use this battery and supply the amps needed.

Answer was no.

So, brand new unused Odessy now looking for a new home. Taken out of box and put on the gyro where it was sitting waiting for the pre-rotator.

Just talked to Stuart, the box and papers got dumped in the garage clear-out to store stuff for the Parents-in-law move and we took the gyro to Zephyrhills.

Will ship to anywhere in US. I will look for the credit card receipt then give a reduced price on that. Shame it looked like a really good battery

FAA version

FAA version

Odyssey makes an FAA approved version btw.

I am curious why you are not getting enough rpms out of your setup. With 30' blades and an undersized starter motor, on stock wunderlix ring gear I am able to get 100-125 out of my setup with the 625 battery.

How big is the wire going to your relay/solenoid and motor ?

answers

answers

see my answers below

Hmm just learned a couple of things here.

A special pulse charger Robert? Does that mean a normal charger is not good for it? What happens to them if they do run down to zero?

This is the standard Bull $hit answer the tech guys over at Odyssey start to give customers after they have to warranty the second battery. Pulse charger, more volts, more amps, NONSENSE !!! if the battery cannot work on a standard calibrated "lead acid" or "calcium carbonate-maint free) battery charging rate then they need to pack it up and go home, and stop ripping consumers off.

J are you saying that inability to hold a charge indicate a dud? What other test, if any, can you do to find out the quality of the battery?

Yes exactly, one of their selling points is the battery will still have 80% state of charge after 5 years or some really long amount of time, if forgot the exact amount, now there are conditions on that, how its stored, humidity etc. However the battery should be able to start your little gyro engine after a month with a standard parasitic load discharge rate of 30 milli amps after 2 weeks, prefferably a month. Most aircraft do not have ECM's clocks, radios and other powered memory circuits that add up to more than 5-10 millliamps TOTAL . This can be measured with any DVOM, digital volt ohm meter from your local radio shack or sears. Or after you charge the battery, disconnect the cables, let the battery sit for a week, it should still have more than enough juice to crank over your engine. If it does not hold a charge it has a shorted plate or other issue period.

The ONLY way to properly check a batteries health is with a carbon pile load tester. This will allow you to check amperage at a given voltage.

Your local auto repair shop should have one to load test your battery.

As I have said we have not used ours at all yet. I do not know if it is charged or not, although I seem to think they said that they sent them out charged.

Thanks for the input and information Jonathan.

Nicolas (Aviomania) has been working on an extremely compact and light prerotator set-up that you may have seen on The worlds lightest prerotator thread. He has had very good results which he videoed and posted on the Forum.

I asked if he could do me a 12V system however he has not been satisfied with the results he was getting with the small 12V motors so I am getting the 24V system which he has been using for a while now and is happy with the results. I will need 2 batteries so will go for smaller and lighter ones rather than get another Odessy which was really quite small but around 13lbs and pretty costly.

He has been getting 125RRPM static with the 25' DW's and says I might get a bit more with 23'DW's.

Last edited: