Designing blades... howe dose it look :)

GunnarB

I am working on designing a blades for the gyro that I am planing to build :)

the aluminium that makes the skin of the bladi is tipe 2024 as are the bars inside.

what do you thing af my designing

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It is not about the looks of them!!! They can look very cool but if they fold under the weight......that aspect won't matter..... Just buy a set......:wacko:

You can, just need to mount them on a car's roof or truck and test the heck our of them.

It above most of our pay grades here, for others like Chuck he can make them no problem.

What Reynolds number are you using?

aha.. I know what you mean :)
I got this design from a friend af mine who is an flight mechanic.
I will have to ask him abought that

Reynolds number???
You need not to ask - he is joking.
Your design looks good, and I think you will learn a lot by making and testing your own blades.
Flying with them might not be so good an idea :eek:hwell:

Sorry guys, I wish I could lay it off on being a bad joke, but I don't know the Blade jargon well enough to ask the question. Is the 2024 the airfoil shape?

designing blades how does it look

designing blades how does it look

from your questions I would say you are a beginner in gyros and blade design is not for beginners, not to try to discourage you from experimenting with gyros but please be careful, there is a lot more to a rotor than it looks like there is and you don't have to be off the ground to get killed or worse if a blade goes divergent or flutters and comes of the hub, the blade that remains attached can throw a machine hard enough to snap your neck and the one that came off can do a lot of damage to anyone near you, also if you are the first in your country with a gyro the DOT/ FAA or your equivelent will be watching to see how it works out and the future of gyros in your country depends on how you conduct yourself. Good luck and be careful.

Norm

Sorry guys, I wish I could lay it off on being a bad joke, but I don't know the Blade jargon well enough to ask the question. Is the 2024 the airfoil shape?

No. The 2024 is the Reynolds Number.
5shots.gif

Maybe its the Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil that is used for the skin of the blade. :D

John, actually you could be correct.
ThumbsUp.gif

Here is the profile etc. for a NACA2024 airfoil.

NACA_2024.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
2024 is a type of aluminium alloy. consists of copper and magnesium. I am currently designing the blades in my university project. Try the NACA 8h12 aerofoil

the 2024 is the type of the aluminium alloy I am going to use for the blades.
But just to be clear I am going to buy blades to use on the Gyro when that time comes :)
this is just gona be test to see if I can.
Safty will be hi alltime.
Later this summer I will contact the DOT/ FAA to get more info from them and let them know what my plan is.
AND.... I found out to day that there is 1 gyro here in Iceland and in use.. so my plan is to take a trip to see it :)

I always understood the 8 H-12 was the 8" Holmann [Martin] airfoil. Maybe I am wrong ?
8 H-12 is airfoil Skywheels and Extruded blades used for sure...

Last edited:
I dont see any pictures

I dont see any pictures

I am working on designing a blades for the gyro that I am planing to build :)

the aluminium that makes the skin of the bladi is tipe 2024 as are the bars inside.

what do you thing af my designing

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I wish you good luck , I would like to see more of your project. Martin Hollerman had an article in PRA on rotor design, There was some wooden rotor plans for the Bensen posted on the forum not long ago.
As what everyone has said , hope you will use caution and good sense.

Hey Ed -- The 8-H-12 was published by NACA (U.S. govt. agency that preceded NASA).

The "H" stands for "helicopter," not Hollmann. It's a blade shape that is NOT flat on the bottom, unlike the many blades that were modelled after Bensen's. Bensen compromised by using a flat bottom (and top!) for ease of construction.

When Ernie Boyette was developing his Dragon Wings blades, he made prototypes using what might be called "homebuilding" methods. He "carved" spars out of long lengths of bar stock using a body grinder. Of course, for production volumes, blade makers eliminate all this hand labor by having spar extrusions made.

If you assemble metal blades using glue instead of rivets, the tricky part is creating a strong and durable bond. Some of the older glued gyro blades used to come apart after awhile. A reliable glue joint requires special chemical treatments, and thermosetting glue. It's an enormous job for just one set of blades.