Reasons!

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
None but enough kits in the garage to keep me busy the rest of my life!
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
Okay, in another thread, I made reference to REASONS and said I had a story to tell about them. I had passed this story on in an email recently to several people including the PRA BOD. I've extracted the REASON part of the email and I'm pasting it here. After reading this, don't be too surprised if you start looking for REASONS when you don't understand something rather than saying I wonder what that is all about or why did that happen. There is always a REASON. Now on to Dean's story!

I worked for Shell Chemical for 40 years; the last 25+ years in a R&D facility here in Houston. Somewhere about 15 - 20 years ago the management of our particular part of the business thought it was a good idea for everyone to use the Franklin Daytimer. I suspect missed meetings, meeting and discussion details being lost or misunderstood and no formal means of scheduling individual work was the REASON for this. In other words everyone did their own thing. This came about during the time that corporate America was buying into doing the job the right way, every time, and meeting or exceeding customers mutually agreed to requirements.

So, we were all issued Franklin Daytimers by a Franklin sales rep. The rep distributed them at a day long class on how to use them.

The rep told a personal story about REASONS to reinforce the idea that time planning was important as individuals and to the company. He also mentioned that time was the only thing that we really own and the only thing that we can control. And giving our time to someone, or some task, is something that we needed to think about and decide if it was important to do so. He acknowledged that there was a risk involved and possible consequences if we didn't grant the boss some of our time! But it was our decision to make.

The story about REASONS he told goes like this and I'm going to attempt to tell it in his words as he told it. Remember this is a personal story!

"I was working as a sales rep for a fairly large mid west company and was sent to a Franklin seminar to learn how to use their daytimer.

The facilitator was almost through with his daily presentation when he told us that in order to get the most value out of the daytimer that we needed to remember the REASON why they were at the seminar. And to demonstrate how important REASONS are and how much they impact us, he called on me to join him on stage.

He said, 'I'm going to describe a scenario and I want you to give me your response. We have gone to the top of a 100 story building where there is a taunt line strung between it and the building across the street. I want you to walk across that line to the top of the next building. Will you do it?'

" I answered, no way!"

'Well, what if I offered you $10,000 dollars to do it, would you do it then?

"Not a chance!"

'What about $100,000?'

"There is no amount of money that would get me to walk across that line!"

'Not even a million dollars?'

"I just said there is no amount of money to get me to walk across that line!"

'Okay, then let me offer you something else. I know that you have a 7 year old daughter. What if I told you that if you didn't walk across that line that she would die?'

"That stunned me because I knew that he had our personal information but what he didn't know was that we had almost lost our daughter the previous year to an illness. It staggered me and I almost broke down. He could see that and said 'You see, if you have a reason to do something, you will'

End of story. The story teller went to work for Franklin shortly after that. Is the story true? I don't know but it certainly provides food for thought.

I've remembered the story and applied it from then on with the point being if you give people a reason to do something they will. There may be a common acceptance and knowledge of this among my friends and neighbors but it was a revelation that was so simple that I had never thought about it.

What the PRA leaders must do is find and promote a REASON for people to join and support the PRA. We need to eliminate, where possible, the REASONs people don't belong. Think about it; none of us do something or quit doing something if we don't have a REASON. I don't believe we can solve PRA issues without understanding what the REASONS for them are.

Thanks for reading!

So what your saying is that you have to threaten people to give them a REASON? No Dean it should be a VISION.

Dean do you have a vision statement for the PRA? This is what people will relate to is a vision and working towards that. Threats and Reasons is not the key, VISION is and where you want the PRA to accomplish, then people will help you with seeing that vision takes place.

I helped re-start Chapter One and we all did not have the same REASONs for starting this club, so I ended up quiting because of that among other reasons. I said good bye because their REASONs was not my REASONs. Our vision could have been the same but we did not start out with a vision statement that would have helped.

You first need to establish a vision we all like to be apart of and that will be the REASON for any one to join no matter what our different REASONs are.

Last edited:
Vision and Mission Statements that Work!
Successful organizations know that it takes more than a good plan to succeed in business. It takes an empowered organization, focused on realistic goals, with impassioned leadership. It takes vision. It takes consensus. It takes a sense of purpose!

"Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion."

Dean I looked on the PRA site and could not find a Vision or Mission statement? You write what the PRA is but no Mission or Vision?

May I suggest that we all take part in coming up with a Mission or Vision statement that every one can agree on?

Vision and Mission Statements that Work!
Successful organizations know that it takes more than a good plan to succeed in business. It takes an empowered organization, focused on realistic goals, with impassioned leadership. It takes vision. It takes consensus. It takes a sense of purpose!

"Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion."

Dean I looked on the PRA site and could not find a Vision or Mission statement? You write what the PRA is but no Mission or Vision?

May I suggest that we all take part in coming up with a Mission or Vision statement that every one can agree on?
Right on, first rough draft is almost finished taken from desires in another thread, as it's always the first thing you write!
Can't write a marketing plan unless you know where you are going!
Hope everybody will help with the rewrite!
John

PS
Dean it's true if you give people a vision with a doable goal, that will give them the reason, add the tools needed and direction and as you imply it is very powerful.

Last edited:
My reasons to join the gyro movement:
The joy I feel when they fly I want to share!
The importance of these machines for transportation in certain places.
The moment we are living is right for gyros against gridlock.
To acomplish this thing I need an ever growing group with more of everything: pilots, machines and instructors.
My vision of 25 years ago took shape, I have flown it and seen it fly, many told me that was impossible 6 years ago, not true we have proven . . .
I can build a safe, fast and reliable aero-terrestrial vehicle, to get to one of those you need to get to know gyros . . .the other leg of the journey you already mastered!
PRA is sitting rigth on top of this events, our president have been the test pilot for some of these machines.
Show them the future . . .they will come!
Heron

I would have to disagree that the PRA does not have a vision. In the bylaws it has a mission statement that has merit. The purchase of Mentone gave the PRA a place for museum, a small one at this time but it has one.

The first two purposes are the hard ones to accomplish.

PURPOSE

1. To encourage, aid and engage in scientific research for the improvement and better understanding of the art of flying by an individual and the science of vertical lift aeronautics.
2. To foster, promote, and popularize education in rotorcraft among it's members and the general public.
3. To establish and maintain a rotorcraft museum and air education center to contain exhibits of historical and scientific interest.

http://pra.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129&Itemid=68

I would have to disagree that the PRA does not have a vision. In the bylaws it has a mission statement that has merit. The purchase of Mentone gave the PRA a place for museum, a small one at this time but it has one.

PURPOSE

1. To encourage, aid and engage in scientific research for the improvement and better understanding of the art of flying by an individual and the science of vertical lift aeronautics.
2. To foster, promote, and popularize education in rotorcraft among it's members and the general public.
3. To establish and maintain a rotorcraft museum and air education center to contain exhibits of historical and scientific interest.

Thanks this helps a great deal!
John

PS

This is really so easy with all of your help!!

Last edited:

PURPOSE

Ya, got it Jeff! Now that wasn't hard was it?!!

Chapter 1's Reasons for existing

Chapter 1's Reasons for existing

The By-Laws mission statement of PRA Chapter 1 declares that,
Object , ( REASON )

1. The object of this club shall be to promote the general interests and welfare of all persons engaged in the construction and flying of Rotorcraft in the greater Southern California area, and with particular attention being given to beginners and to aid in so far as possible the national program of Popular Rotorcraft Association and other PRA activities, looking toward the continual advancement of rotorcraft aviation in all it's phases in the United States.

2. Purpose : In furtherance of this purpose and object but not in limitation thereof, the Club shall endevor:
(a) To provide for the exchange of worthwhile ideas in regards to the construction , flying, amd safety of Rotorcraft.

(b) To provide Events and Meets with all special or local interest groups with PRA Chapter 1 conforming to the policies of the PRA and to the FAA regulations.

(c) To maintain standards of operation and safety procedure which will insure the continuance of Rotorcraft flying and educate enthusiasts to carry on the hobby-sport in a safe manner with due regard to the rights of others.

That always has been and will continue to be Chapter 1's REASON for existing. Chapter members fully support Ch. 1 by-laws, so yeah, Tina left Chapter 1 because her REASONS didn't coincide with those of chapter 1.
Chapter 1 is in full agreement with and support of the clearly stated mission or REASON of PRA.
Marion Springer
Chapter 1 President

Object , ( REASON )

1. The object of this club shall be to promote the general interests and welfare of all persons engaged in the construction and flying of Rotorcraft in the greater Southern California area, and with particular attention being given to beginners and to aid in so far as possible the national program of Popular Rotorcraft Association and other PRA activities, looking toward the continual advancement of rotorcraft aviation in all it's phases in the United States.

2. Purpose : In furtherance of this purpose and object but not in limitation thereof, the Club shall endevor:
(a) To provide for the exchange of worthwhile ideas in regards to the construction , flying, amd safety of Rotorcraft.

(b) To provide Events and Meets with all special or local interest groups with PRA Chapter 1 conforming to the policies of the PRA and to the FAA regulations.

(c) To maintain standards of operation and safety procedure which will insure the continuance of Rotorcraft flying and educate enthusiasts to carry on the hobby-sport in a safe manner with due regard to the rights of others.

That always has been and will continue to be Chapter 1's REASON for existing. Chapter members fully support Ch. 1 by-laws, so yeah, Tina left Chapter 1 because her REASONS didn't coincide with those of chapter 1.
Chapter 1 is in full agreement with and support of the clearly stated mission or REASON of PRA.
Marion Springer
Chapter 1 President

"Aman " to that
Teddy

Vision and mission statements are not a reason for people to join or quit an association like the PRA. Vision and mission statements should help the leaders and active members to focus on a common goal and drive the organization towards that goal, but it does nothing to promote membership.

The only thing that promotes general membership in this kind of organization is perceived value. i.e. every member asks themselves (consciously, or not) - what value do I get for 1. becoming a member, 2. paying my dues, and 3. giving from my personal time and energy.

Everything the PRA does (and sometime doesn't do) adds or detracts value in the eyes of the members. This perceived value is very personal - everyone have different set of expectations. Some may be content with just a magazine - some may want a monthly magazine in full color, some may be interested in how the PRA is representing them in Washington, and others may be most interested in how the PRA is driving safety improvements for this sport.

We know the PRA is not excelling in any of the above - and so when a member think that the value they get from the PRA is no longer worth their time/money/energy - they quit. If a newbie don't see value in joining the PRA - they will not join. Very simple.

So, those who feel personal responsibility for promoting the PRA should ask themselves - what can we do to add VALUE for the members? How can we get the most bang for the buck for adding value for the entire membership. Is spending money on the Mentone facility is adding value to the majority of the members? Is the national convention adding value to the majority of the membership? Is printing a colorful magazine adding value to the majority of the membership? Is taking a stance on gyroplane safety adding value to the majority of the membership?

Resources are limited. Concentrate on those actions and activities that add most value to your members. You don't know what the members want?

ASK THEM!

Udi
p.s. this forum is of so much value to so many people that they ask themselves - this is free, why should I pay money to the PRA? Here we can socialize, get technical help, learn just about anything we need, find flying buddies - what's the PRA good for? PRA leaders - take a good look in the mirror.

Last edited:
Object , ( REASON )

Marion Springer
Chapter 1 President
Marion, that is good your finally going by the By-Laws of the old Chapter One I am glad to hear that. When I was part of this club you did not follow the By-Laws and I had to point that out to you many times. You even wanted to re-write them to your liking.

Marion and Teddy we should have set down and been in agreement what our mission or vision was for this club from the beginning then we all would have been on the same page.

We all started this club for different reasons. You two had different reasons then I did in the end. Lets just say you both wanted to leave some people out of future fly-ins, to me very important people that started this club and I could not stand to hear this from you both and quite. We did not see eye to eye on things and communication was difficult.

Moving forward I am glad to hear you both do not feel that way any longer and maybe on the right track so please do not continue to push me into telling people why I left the club. It was a big part of my life for 1 year and I put a lot of work and soul into it, so it meant a lot to me at one time.

I will from time to time bring up things about the club like I did here but do not speck for me our put words into my mouth so I have to defend myself once again. I moved on now its time for you both to do the same thing. :wave:

Last edited:
@Udi
Hey buddy!!

Very well said, excerpting parts for the business plan.
Thanks,
John

There´s been some reluctancy in joining this Forum as an ASSn. by PRA, since the RAF Thing started the relationship with our Forums have been inexistent, I think last year a link was placed at PRA site pointing to this Forum.
Now PRA can have 3 voices:Web site, News letter and RotaryForum!
As we are very loose in presenting ideas and sometimes plain loose canon I understand the position with the PRA guys (top brass)
But it is time to get out there with all we are and can and corral the outsiders to our neck of the aviation woods.
I have seen non believers change when they first saw the Golden Butterfly and after one ride there was no coming back . . .gyrowise is easier than selling a PRA membership.
"Get on our site and register, bring a friend and receive a voucher for a demo ride at one of there fly-ins" (follow list of places and ride givers)
What is wrong with the picture of 4 friends going to a fly-in and getting 4 rides for the price of one? Of course after the first 15 minutes (if they like enough) they will be back on the line for a first 30 minute lesson.
Heron

I have seen non believers change when they first saw the Golden Butterfly and after one ride there was no coming back . . .gyrowise is easier than selling a PRA membership.
"Get on our site and register, bring a friend and receive a voucher for a demo ride at one of there fly-ins" (follow list of places and ride givers)
What is wrong with the picture of 4 friends going to a fly-in and getting 4 rides for the price of one? Of course after the first 15 minutes (if they like enough) they will be back on the line for a first 30 minute lesson.
Heron
This works in real life I have sold Whale watching plane rides that sold a lot of flight lessons, to people who were afraid to pilot an aircraft.
John

Udi, any way you paint it you still end up citing reasons to either join or not join.

And why ask?

This Forum generates enough info to form an opinion on what value should be added and where the focus should be. And I’m certainly not suggesting that communication through out the organization doesn’t need improvement. And when I say the organization I mean from the individual member on up.

You, at least, mentioned the intangibles where most just zero in on the magazine. It seems that few want to accept that the intangibles have as much or more value. I guess people would rather have a bare Hershey bar in their pocket on a hot Texas day than one with a wrapper.

When you say that we are not excelling in ‘…..any of the above’ that depends again on a person’s perception.

I happen to perceive that the PRA is, and has, done an excellent job representing us in Washington. I also perceive that safety has also been pushed in various ways and most shortcomings can be laid at the feet of individuals. PRA members Chuck Beaty, Doug Riley and you, among others, should be perceived as contributing to safety. The Safety Guy, as a PRA rep, has certainly tried to help promote safety.

While many don’t feel that they can contribute to promoting the PRA, all should still feel the responsibility to do so. Some can, some can’t but we all have that responsibility.

And for others who have commented, it isn't a scare tactic or threat to point out the possibilities, if the PRA isn't available to mitigate situations that could develop. Just think of the PRA as that ounce of prevention that precludes the use of a pound of cure.

I totally support the PRA because that is all we have as gyro pilots, like it or not.

When anyone asks me about gyros and want to know more, I tell them to look up PRA.org. Not the forum! I would hate to scare them off because of our rants that we get our selfs into on this forum.

I would like them to get the basic information first then when they like to see what its like being a gyro pilot in this world, come to the forum. We are as diverse as any community out there and have our own opinions. But it is a learning place also along with human tragedy and humility.

Since all PRA members get the magazine - the easiest way to get feedback from members is to include in the magazine a one-page survey asking people to rank their expectations from the PRA. Let the members tell you what is really important to them and what is not. The questions will have to be drafted carefully if you want this to have any real value. I don't believe that what you read on this forum really represent the wish of the entire PRA membership.

Regarding safety, I think the PRA has done a big mistake by not taking a more clear stance -- as an organization -- on safety. The work Chuck, Doug, me and others are doing on this forum is not for PRA. Although I am a member of the PRA, I don't represent the PRA. As far as I can see, except for endorsing the stab a few years ago, the PRA is silent on safety. Even the articles in the magazine are not the voice of the PRA, they are just member articles. The PRA would publish ANY article.

There is one (the only one) CFI - Duane Hunn, who is permanently based at the PRA headquarters in Mentone. Duane is instructing in one of the most unstable gyros in existence and a known widow maker. What does that say about the PRA commitment to safety? Talk is cheap - I want to see where the PRA stands thru actions.

Look, Dean, the membership has dropped by a lot for a REASON (actually multiple reasons). Do you know the reasons, or do you not? It wont hurt sending letters to some or all past members and asking them why they left and what the PRA can do to get them back.

Udi

Who needs visions?

Who needs visions?

A politician here once said:

"If you have visions, you should go, see a doctor"

I like "mission" better.

Vision sounds like "world peace".

Mission is more like "Achieving better international relationships by exchanging pupils and students to get an in-depth mutual understanding of the other people's culture and view of life for current and future generations".

The first is the standard Miss World statement, hollow and with no effect.
The second is the mission statement of organizations which actually DO something, like AFS or YFU, to the same end.

Kai.

Look, Dean, the membership has dropped by a lot for a REASON (actually multiple reasons). Do you know the reasons, or do you not? It wont hurt sending letters to some or all past members and asking them why they left and what the PRA can do to get them back.

Udi
Calling current and past customers is one of the best marketing tools there is. Adding this as a regular duty, to the plan in our other thread!
John