Mentone the place, how is it?

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Those who have been there could give us some insight about the changes, improvements or not, how is our Gyrodrome doing?
thanks
Heron

Heron

Mentone is surrounded by beautiful farms, mostly growing fields of corn and beans with the occasional hay field. Mentone field is in good shape and the camping area is a hay field that a local farmer leases or rents from the PRA. The field had just been cut and then mowed by staff prior to the event. The hanger was just adequate for the number of auto-giro's this year, but it was big enough to get every-one's machine out of the weather. The office is big enough to accommodate numerous participants, all juggling for Jennifer's time. The bathrooms on one end of the museum are large enough to accommodate a reasonable crowd, and with a few minor problems with to much demand on the system got the job done. The museum is large enough to hold numerous autogyro and a helicopter, which I thought were a nice touch for those who want to know more about the history of our sport. Lastly the kitchen seems to be well organized and plenty of happy campers lined up for breakfast, lunch and dinner all at a reasonable price, served with smiles and friendly hello's. The dining area worked for eating as well as sitting around telling Lie's, I mean stories and there were many of those being shared. I personally applaud those who made the decision to buy such a wonderful place to have our fly in. I should add it's surrounded by other airports, who were gracious enough to attend to our needs as well. We received a personal invite to land and visit the museum at nearby (Griffin) military airbase.

Last edited:
Heron

Mentone is surrounded by beautiful farms, mostly growing fields of corn and beans with the occasional hay field. Mentone field is in good shape and the camping area is a hay field that a local farmer leases or rents from the PRA. The field had just been cut and then mowed by staff prior to the event. The hanger was just adequate for the number of auto-giro's this year, but it was big enough to get every-one's machine out of the weather. The office is big enough to accommodate numerous participants, all juggling for Jennifer's time. The bathrooms on one end of the museum are large enough to accommodate a reasonable crowd, and with a few minor problems with to much demand on the system got the job done. The museum is large enough to hold numerous autogyro and a helicopter, which I thought were a nice touch for those who want to know more about the history of our sport. Lastly the kitchen seems to be well organized and plenty of happy campers lined up for breakfast, lunch and dinner all at a reasonable price, served with smiles and friendly hello's. The dining area worked for eating as well as sitting around telling Lie's, I mean stories and there were many of those being shared. I personally applaud those who made the decision to buy such a wonderful place to have our fly in. I should add it's surrounded by other airports, who were gracious enough to attend to our needs as well. We received a personal invite to land and visit the museum at nearby (Griffin) military airbase.

You forgot all the great friendly BTDT talent on site just itching to lend a hand.....

My apologies and yes your absolutely correct, I was going to start another thread on just that topic. But since you opened the door, I'll just say I am amazed that so many people gave up so much of their time to see that everyone had a good time. I couldn't possibly name all those who donated their time, but I sincerely thank each and all of you. I had an exceptional time, and you can bet I'll be back.

I have been there and treasure that trip!
I had some critique about stuff not well done, that was 2006 I think, wanna see how it has progressed or not.
It is evident been there is all about the camaraderie and it is from great to unbeatable . . .we just forget about all else.
You gotta love that place!
Fair critique is what I am looking for.
I will come back every time I can, right now, ship is at the dry dock for repairs (the economic ship)
thanks
Heron

Hey, Sheldon, what does BTDT mean?

It's swarms of rotor-craft in the air.
It's learning the systems from experts who care.
It's meeting new friends with stories to share.
It's people smiling and enjoying life without despair.
It's egg drop contests with Stan sitting in a chair.
It's the sound of a turbine and the wind through your hair.
It's jokes with folks from all walks of life and even the Amish were there.
It's all these things and so much more, I could go on but I fear I shouldn't dare?

Wow John! That ROCKs!

Good one John, maybe this needs to be posted somewhere there.

John, You have just created the Mentone Motto. This has got to even out do the Budweiser commercial "when you say Budweiser, you've said it all".

Tony

Guys I was just play'n while telling the truth!

Thank you guys you're embarrassing me!

PS:
Funny my English teachers over the years never encourage my style as poetry. It breaks all of their rules or at least that's what they told me. It's cute, I hate cute....
I could understand my science teachers saying it, but the answers were correct so whats the problem. I'm just bored, lets make rocket fuel?

Last edited:
That is great! :D
The airport, the facilities, how does it look?
Is everyone happy with the end of payments? Will it be another purchase?
Are there plans for improvement? tell me . . .
Heron

That is great! :D
The airport, the facilities, how does it look?
Is everyone happy with the end of payments? Will it be another purchase?
Are there plans for improvement? tell me . . .
Heron
The facilities look great to me.
I'm very happy with no rent and owning our own airport.
Regarding another purchase, only if we get rich! But many volunteers are working on the money part even now.
Haven't heard any requests for improvement but if are members want improvements this BOD will bend over backwards trying to provide them.

On another note the BOD is considering accepting an offer to lease the airport from us, and vacating it for us for our convention. This offer could increase our revenue by a great deal and provide the money for many improvements.
There is talk of even having a Rotax shop leasing space from us and available to our members for repairs on the spot. (If I remember correctly.)
Things, they are a changing at PRA!!!!

Good news indeed!
After all the back and forth it seems the purchase was a good deal for all.
Now it is time to think bigger and get a little crazy buying another place.
I belive our airfield can be colateral in any deal.
Heron