My New Gyro

Dan,
The race is on I hope to finish mine this weekend, I look forward
to seeing that bird in the sky again I had alot of fun chasing it
around in the past.

Well Jamie you will have to chase it around again. Here are some pics the rebuild has begun. We spent the day drilling out old and for the most part loose rivets and replace them with high strength aircraft rivets. I did have to get a new rivet gun to put these in, you can't put these in with a hand operated gun. The rest of the day was spent sanding and then wet sanding to get parts ready for paint.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Seat, instrument pod and the motor mount is done completed them today. Will start on the frame and new shock mounts now. I was goin to wait but I know how you guys are about pics so I guess I will just go ahead and put it out there. The color scheme is orang, black with glod trim and will be called the Spartan Flyer. I will post some more pic tommorow.

Dan

Now we are talk'n!!!

It's looking good Dan.

It's great to see and learn what all the different frames look like, the differences and the parts, us non-builders learn a great deal, Thanks for sharing.

Ok flight control tube is over at the welders getting redune. The control stick and fork is completed so I will post pics of them when I get home. Also will be asking the administrator to move this thread to builders corner where it should be. More updates soon.

Dan

Ok guys here are some pics for you all. I will start tearing down the rest of the frame now and it is just about time to start worrying about the tail.

Dan

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
Oh yes this is much better seeing the parts Dan.
It getting fun, now.

Ok I got all the small parts completed and the prerot is rebuilt as well. Finished the instrument panel to and my flight controls should be ready at the welder as well. I had to recharge the camera so I will post more pic tommorow.

All I have left is to complete the frame for paint this will be shorting the wheel base just a bit so it will fit in a satndard trailer and getting rid of the bungee shock system for a real shock. Then it will be time to finish the motor. The engine has only 31.1 hours so all I will do is clean the plugs and check the piston tops for build up. I will also finish the paint on some small emgine parts.

I have a guestion. How hot does the engine shroud cover get can I use regular paint here or do I need to get high temp. Thanks in advance for the info.

Dan

No pictures, no comment.

Oops, I just blew that deal?

Ok here are some updates I got the flight controls redone and they look great.

Attachments

• DSCF0402.jpg
    DSCF0402.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0401.jpg
    DSCF0401.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
  • fix1.jpg
    fix1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • fix4.jpg
    fix4.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • fix3.jpg
    fix3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • fix2.jpg
    fix2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0
Ok now for the build I got the frame tore down and going to work with me in the mornig to get sand blasted for painting. I got the last of the small parts done and painted here are the pics.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0
I really enjoy seeing you guys build.

Almost like hanging out at the hanger with the guys.

Got the last of my parts back from the powder blaster today so this rebuild will strat prgressing quit quickly as lond as I can get one good day for painting. If so I could have it back together and ready to fly by Sunday. I will post pics this eveing.

Dan

Ok here are the pics, its was only after I put them out for the pic that I relized I missed two of the mains tubes so I will have to do them by hand now.

Attachments

• DSCF0460.jpg
    DSCF0460.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0
Ok I got good weather so the frame members are getting painted today so I can put it back together and will post more pics the evening.

What size is your rotor blades and type. The gyro looks pretty cool. Good luck and be well.

Dan, just curious, what happened to your Hornet? Did you decide to keep it? Has it flown, last I remember you were almost complete with it.