582 Rotary Valve Lube Oil Consumption

Earthboundmisft

The 'FIXER'
Satellite Beach, (Sea Park),(Original 'Lums Bums'
Aircraft
The 'MISSFIT' gyro, GRAND CHAMPION, Bensen Days 2010
Total Flight Time
700 F/W, 227 Gyro
Another newbie question; in 16 hours of run time on the hobbs, the lube oil level has dropped one half inch. What is the normal usage? Is using the same 2 stroke oil as the engine's fuel still the best way to go? Thanks, Mike.

Mike, keep an eye on it, it may indicate that you have a bad seal between the cylinders,
The only way to fix the is to change the crankshaft.
So keep an eye on it, if you have a bad seal you will see more carbon buildup on that cyl.
You can also run 20-50 in the rotary gear, it will wear less. but if you are burning it in the cyl keep adding the 2 stroke oil. Check the spark plugs to make sure they don't foul.
Run it till it quits. :)

Mike, the oil is NOT supposed to be consumed. The only reason 2 stroke oil is recommended, is IN CASE it is consumed.
The rotary gear area is totally separate from the cylinders the oil is just for lubrication on the bronze gear, and crank.
Not trying to scare you, this is common on older engines, as the seals get worse you will burn more oil. The seals are installed when the crankshaft is assembled.
As long as it is not fouling plugs, or causing the rings to carbon up, you should be fine.
Just start putting some cash in your piggy bank for a new crankshaft assembly down the road.

Scott, I had a sneakin feeling that was the case. I looked at the explosion view for the 582. Well, I'm definetly using lube oil, but she's running crispy. Egt's right on. I will monitor the plugs as well as the instruments. Thanks Scott.

Have a look at the coolant, any signs of oil in it? the rotary valve shaft also drives the water pump impeller and there is a seal between them that goes, particularly of there are silicates in the coolant anti-freeze.

"You can also run 20-50 in the rotary gear"

Scott . Did They tell you that at Rotax School? I like the sound of using some synthetic Oil in the Rotary shaft.

I asked that question in class. Rotax does not like to recommend or deviate from the published manuals. BUT the only reason for using the 2 stroke oil, is in such a case as Mikes, that way it will not act any different than adding a richer oil mixture, no bad effects to the engine.
2 stroke oils are not made to lubricate gears. The 20-50 usually contains more ZDDP or zinc in the additive pkg. The zinc is what helps in shear applications such as timing gears and motorcycle transmissions.
The 2 stroke oil is fine. especially since it is made to burn in the combustion chamber without leaving huge deposits. But you will see much less wear on the rotary shaft gear using an automotive type oil.

Not to change the subject to oils, but you are also better off using a synthetic blend oil in the fuel, that way you get the benefits of both mineral oil and synthetic.
Especially in a humid climate the mineral oil sticks to the bearings and helps prevent corrosion on the crank better than a synthetic.
Also plug your exhaust and cover your air filters when not in use to keep humidity and dirt dobbers out of your engine.

Just put some Slick 50 in there.... that way if it ever leaks or runs out you can keep on flying

"You can also run 20-50 in the rotary gear"

Scott . Did They tell you that at Rotax School? I like the sound of using some synthetic Oil in the Rotary shaft.

I use the same oil in my rotary gear.

Think about it... What is the purpose of 2-cycle oil... it has a short life, designed to lube the pistons and be burnt. NOT for long term bearing lube like 20-50, which I replace on a regular basis (30 hrs).

I also plan to do the slick 50 treatment.

Well, I flew for one hour non-stop this morning. After I landed I was looking my machine over, and made a pleasant discovery. My rudder was covered with oil. I followed the oil across my prop, back to the rotary valve oil reservoir. Turns out the cap is leaking out the vent, or from the gasket. I had seen traces of oil in the past, but thought it was coming from the pre-rotator engine exhaust. I will replace the cap next week. Better than a crank seal leaking!:whoo:

That is great news buddy!!!!
Good catch... No more worries about the engine having problems.