The "Misfit"

Leigh, I will try to get better pictures posted soon. The T6 square tubing seems amazingly ductile. The KB3 I believe, had a pre-cambered axle that acted as a bit of a "spring" for landing. The "Misfit" gyro is far from complete, stay tuned! Thanks, Mike.

Better bring that machine to Bensen Days, flying or not. I wanna sit in it!

Ahh mr. Ron, I wondered when you would chime in! It would be my pleasure to have your opinion of my machine. It will be at B-days, although I am nervous about trailering it. Lately, I have had thoughts of a truck, piggyback carrier arrangment. Anyways, I will see you there, and more importantly, good luck with the birth of your son. The ultimate project. Mike.

Mike,
what i can make out from the pictures is that you retained some of the triangulation of my design. The only problem i see that worries me is that you tried not to have holes on the must (except the ends) so the triangulation at the middle is.... floating. what i mean is that under enough load it can move (slide up or down). the mast can be damaged given time, by the front and back diagonal tubes "pumping" on it.
the top of the triangle ( keel, seat diagonal, back keel diagonal) has to be firmly secured to the keel.

A quick fix would be to drill couple of hole on the mast. Let me know if you understand what i mean. if not i can draw up a sketch.

That is the only think that worries me. the rest is up to you. if you stay with the single 2x2 wheel axle is best if you do not have the "struts" at the end so you will have some kind of suspension.

Nicolas, I considered that very issue when designing the frame. I decided to attach the axle struts to the cluster plate where all the tubes intersect. I felt like the axle struts, and the clamping force of numerous bolts on the cluster plates, would be adequate. I did consider using just two cherrymax rivets through the cluster plates and into one wall of the mast. I was trying not to violate the mast, as I have learned from this forum. Another option I considered is using an adhesive at all the cluster/cheekplates. We use a product called B-1/2 on our aircraft, and it is incredibly strong. Looks like black silicone.
Regarding the axle, it is hard to see, but I used two 1x2s with the mating faces turned horizontally. I wanted the additional rigidity in the for and aft direction, to utilize my sheetmetal plate/brace design for the axle. I also figured having the seam horizontal would allow the axle more flex up and down. I may eventually move the axle end of the struts inward to take advantage of the flex, to act as some suspension. I am impressed that you saw that issue, and I appreciate your input. Thanks, Mike

I was trying not to violate the mast, as I have learned from this forum.

A single bolt through the cluster plates and middle of the mast will not violate your airframe. We always clamp everything but use a single 1/4" bolt to secure as history proved that clamping alone was not enough to stop movement.

Hi Nicolas,
I hope you and Mike don't mind me piping in here.
Thank You, for your fine design. I apologize first off, for my dyslexic model description,(GS1a), I will edit my prior post.
My father and I have built 5 Bensen/Brock style gyro's, back before much was understood by homebuilders concerning CLT, H-stabs, etc.
After finding this Forum, I got the bug again, but knew enough now to realize that the "old" style just didn't make sense to emulate.
I love the Dom., but I detest the chore of coping tubing.
Mike and I talked about what to build for weeks. We just couldn't seem to agree on the "best".
Then, you posted your video. I guess I will quote Pete, "I was gobsmacked".
I called Mike, he jumped on the forum, and checked it out. It was decided.
The basically straight Keel, beam axle, just perfect for the homebuilder.
I didn't fab a thing on this gyro, Mike has done it all and has done an outstanding job on it.
Thank You for you input also. We discussed the fretting of the mast, but there is so much surface area pinched, we think that fretting will be eliminated. But if, we figured a Cherrymax rivet centered on the mast web, low on the cluster plates.
Concerning suspension, we have an abundance of paved, uncontrolled local strips that are gyro friendly. Mike used doubled 1x2 for the axle.I think that softend tires will suffice, tho I do have thoughts on the struts.
Mike just couldn't resist using the airfoiled Chr/Mo tubing he had scrounged.
He did a fine job terminating the ends, and as Phil mentioned, if need be, the outboard ends can be moved inboard, and no evidence of the outboard mounts will remain, so it gives him options.
If Mikes interpretation flys as well as yours, I will copy you again, and scale it up for a two place.
Thanks again Nicolas for the inspiration. Good luck on your pre-rotator endeavors, that might be our next emulation.

BPearson, thanks for your input, I considered one bolt all the way through also. I think a -3 would suffice, but I also considered a cherrymax rivet. They are incredibly strong, especially in shear. Plus I would only involve one wall of the tube.

Scatt, I think you forgot, I scrapped the airfoil strut design, too heavy. I used .750 alum tube with (your old) heim joints.

Had a short session at my shop this morning. Got the Black Max brake system filled and working! I used an old school oil pumper can, and put a rubber hose on the tip. The system was then filled through the bleeders, until fluid overflowed the master cylinder reservoirs. I quickly closed the bleeders while continuing to pump fluid. I closed the reservoir fittings, and I had perfect pedals on the first try. I hope to finish the horizontal stab glass work late this week. The next step will be a taxi test, to see how the nosewheel geometry will work out.

The Miss-Fit is now a twin engine.

The Miss-Fit is now a twin engine.

I hate to tease you guy's and post without a pic, but I got a look at the Miss-Fit and her new pre-rotator.
Mike fabbed up a real nice rig with a go-ped engine/gearbox combo.
It appears to be spinning up to at least 150 rrpm, he is in the process of adapting a rotor tach to it now.
Will post pics soon.

That gyro is a work of art. It was a pleasure to look at and enjoyed meeting you both at B days. Hope it all goes well

Rotor tach completed about darkthirty today. The little go-ped is twistin 275rrpm, with no load, balls out. About what I calculated, per the math. I have an option, depending on the rrpm spinning the blades. Resasi, THANKS for the kind words. Many hours, and tender fingers from all the polishing. I have been lucky to have experienced advice.

Here's 4k worth of works.

Attachments

• 100_0565.jpg
    100_0565.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0566.jpg
    100_0566.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0567.jpg
    100_0567.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0568.jpg
    100_0568.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 2
Thank you Lee, and John. The video is great! That first run-up shown was actually the second one that day. Lee tweeked the mixture, and we showed 130rrpm. I made an adjustment to the pinion/ring clearance today, and improved the engagment quality.
I have a large bore carb that bolts up, and after an o-haul, I will try it and check the results. I have found a ton of hop-up parts for that motor too. Thanks, Mike Hughes.