I own Chris Julians last make DINGBAT

dingbat

Aircraft
Q.C.ChallengerII ,And Dinbat Gyrocopter
Total Flight Time
Taking PPLM and PPLG Student
Hi Everybody,Just posted in the forum :HI FROM BONNIE SCOTLAND:

I am new to the forum so bear with me, i have recently purchased Chris julians Dingbat the last he made before he died in 1997 this is a 2 seater with a prerotor and a 60inch ivorprop and pushed along with a suburu 1800 AE81
I had to go and fetch this machine from ireland when i purchased this! it is now back in the UK where it was made ! I am in scotland (ISLE OF LEWIS)
I have applied to the CAA and i have just got the aircraft on the UK Aircraft Register as there was no paperwork with the gyrocopter i am now having to go through BAR 643SEC,T so i can get a permitt!! This means it has to be brought upto present day standards to be permitted to fly in the UK!
I will be posting more and pics of this gyrocopter as and when i find out how to post pics!
ByeFor now :yo:

gary
member L.A.A. B.R.A

Last edited:
Great project!
We love pictures Gary. You're going to be a big hit around here!
Thanks for sharing your re-build with us!

Dingbat

Dingbat

HI ALL IN,
Thanks for the welcome nice to hear from you again!
The gyro at present is compleate all that is missing now is all the paperwork and permitt! :angel:

Regards gary

member L.A.A B.R.A

Last edited:
congrats! Looking forward to photos!

Hi Gary
Best of luck with your project!

dinbat pics

dinbat pics

hi all,
Here is the pics of the dingbat!

Attachments

• garys gyro.jpg
    garys gyro.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2
  • garys engine gyro.jpg
    garys engine gyro.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Where is the horizontal stablilizer?

My dad used to call my little sister a Dingbat when we were kids.....

Good looking machine but like Ron said, it seems to be missing it's tail. Looks to be unstable.

Welcome to the forum.

Will the CAA allow you to put a horizontal stabilizer on her? As you can tell we all like H/S.

Nice machine.

Dinbat h/s

Dinbat h/s

Hi all,
Thanks for the welcome! As regards to the H/S This machine has to go through Section T643 this is by the C.A.A so there will be plenty of work to be done on her! as to the H/S Chris built all the 3 gyrocopters with NO H/S on any of the gyros there is a picture of the other one in my other post newbie :Welcome from scotland: G-WBAT
I am sure that the C.A.A will require a H/S fitting that is no problem while its under SEC T this would have to go through under MODS! should not be a bad job as the tail is all glass fibre!
Thanks for your input! :yo:

Gary

member L.A.A. B.R.A

Dingbat.
I must say that I feel very sorry to hear that Chris Julian is no longer with us.
I was searching for Chris for years now but in vain. Even through the forum without success.
He was a very good friend and he used to come to Cyprus often ( when I was here) and flew with me/ I flew with him for hours. He was a very good gyro pilot.
Can I send a pm to hear more news about him?
For those who do not know Chris
Pic one Chris with his "glimace" before each flight and Pic two his own desighn Wombat gyro.
I will post a video with chris flying his Wombat, amazing
Giorgos.

Attachments

• gk 0011.JPG
    gk 0011.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 1
  • cj1.JPG
    cj1.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
Dingbat gyrocopter cdjs

Dingbat gyrocopter cdjs

HI SCANTOURS, Can I send a pm to hear more news about him?

Climb aboard will be nice to receive emails as you new chris along with many others you will probbly know shirley jennings as well the author of the short hops she is a gyro pilot !chris built hers as well but i will tell you more as we go along!

[email protected] UK Time 10.15am

regards gary

member L.A.A B.R.A.

Last edited:
HI SCANTOURS,

Climb aboard will be nice to receive emails you as you new chris along with many others you will probbly know shirley jennings as well the author of the short hops she is a gyro pilot !chris built hers as well but i will tell you more as we go along!

[email protected]

regards gary

member L.A.A B.R.A.

Thanks Gary.
Yes, I've met all those gyro pilots at Exiter and Cornwall in UK several times. We had much fun.
One more pictures with me and Chris at his place. It's ten-fifteen minutes before my first flight with an Everett Gyrocopter.
I will send you an email.
Thanks again.
Giorgos

Attachments

• gk 0121.JPG
    gk 0121.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok, I have to write this funny incident with Chris. It's many years ago...
It was late Sunday evening and Chris was driving his old Ford Granate back home fron the airport to Cornwall with me. All of the sudden Chris said, we have to stop to the next petrol station and buy some engine oil.The red signal started to be intensive. To make the long story short, we could not find any station open d since it was Sunday and very late. Chris stoped near to a fish and chips restauran and after few minutes he came back with some tins with oil. I thought maybein in UK it is possible to buy engine oil from everywhere, nothing strange with that. Thanks God we found Chris said and started the engine again. Ten minutes later the hole car was smelling FISH.
It is a real story.
Giorgos

Dingbat

Dingbat

HEY GIROGOS,
I hope you are not going to fly that Everett with no H/S like the guys do down south! otherwise the lads on here are not going to sleep at nights :eek:

regards G, :D

L.A.A. B.R.A.

HEY GIROGOS,
I hope you are not going to fly that Everett with no H/S like the guys do down south! otherwise the lads on here are not going to sleep at nights :eek:

regards G, :D

L.A.A. B.R.A.

Gary,
I like to fly somewhat stabless gyros. You have to fight constantly with rough/turb. air and that keeps you busy.
Flying Aviomania G1sa Genesis, it's like sitting in the sofa in the living room.
It's so stable that even the engine torque does not change the attitude or yaw of the gyro with engine RPM changes. This is a problem with many gyros when you add full power and the gyro starts to nose up and yow right/left and the opposite when you reduce power.
Giorgos

Last edited:
Dingbat

Dingbat

HiGirogos,
Nice to hear from you again all the remarks i had was get a H/S on that machine! Chris never placed any H/S on any of the machines!
Well I have got the gyrocopter now on the british register it came today after all so i am in with a chance now as i have now got the REG (G-CGEY)
I was emailing shirley jennings about a serial number for the gyro as i now understand the chap in cornwall (Mark) is wanting to sell the dingbats and the rights he bought from chrises estate! he has 2 one original the other prototype!
I Managed to get the serial number of the material sheets i have this is needed for the C.A.A for BAR SEC T 643 otherwise they say without a serial number it cant go through BAR sectionT so more good news! Looks like i am in for one hell of a paperwork exersize!:typing:
I am getting the Quad City Challenger Ready now for the permitt so i am keeping a buisy boy! the gyro will be worth it in the end may even buy the rights from mark depending on a price!
regards gary :yo:

HiGirogos,
Nice to hear from you again all the remarks i had was get a H/S on that machine! Chris never placed any H/S on any of the machines!
Well I have got the gyrocopter now on the british register it came today after all so i am in with a chance now as i have now got the REG (G-CGEY)
I was emailing shirley jennings about a serial number for the gyro as i now understand the chap in cornwall (Mark) is wanting to sell the dingbats and the rights he bought from chrises estate! he has 2 one original the other prototype!
I Managed to get the serial number of the material sheets i have this is needed for the C.A.A for BAR SEC T 643 otherwise they say without a serial number it cant go through BAR sectionT so more good news! Looks like i am in for one hell of a paperwork exersize!:typing:
I am getting the Quad City Challenger Ready now for the permitt so i am keeping a buisy boy! the gyro will be worth it in the end may even buy the rights from mark depending on a price!
regards gary :yo:

I underatand you Gary and I am fully aware of all British CAA regulations.
Wish you best with you project and please don't forget to post photos.
Regards
Giorgos

Last edited:
wombat

wombat

Chris Julian's Wombat design became a reality in the early 1990s, but since Chris's death in 1997 (at which time the Wombat was being put through the CAA's hoop) there have been no more Wombats produced. However, the design was modified as the 'Dingbat', Boris Aerial Photography having purchased the moulds, and can still be purchased. However, the design has never been CAA approved so can only be legally flown outside the UK.

(his last project was the DINGBAT)
regards G.