UL Power's 260i

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
Just saw this engine in my recent Kitplanes magazine. The article mentions it is competitive with the Rotax. Not sure whether or not that is the case, but cost wise isn't too much different than the Rotax - I did a currency conversion and this engine is just under 16K, but not sure what the price would be from a dealer out here. Just thought it was interesting...

I just saw this engine in person at snf and was very impressed. US dealer is a guy in Florida.

Did he give you any idea of price? I know people a re always looking at Rotax alternatives. Just curious...

Hello,

at the Aero they asked for 9500 for 80 hp and less than 15000 for the 107 hp. Euros that is. So wait a moment, until the Euro drops into your comfort-zone.

Kai.

At Sebring two years ago, they had it displayed, priced in dollars. If I recall correctly, it was within a few dollars of the Rotaxes at that time, so I guess it was competitive in price. I also learned it was being developed by a three-man partnership, essentially a garage shop.

If you also find value in a company with a decades-long track record, a proven 2,000-hour TBO and hundreds of service outlets worldwide, not so competitive.

Lots of developers seem drawn to the market by what looks like gouging by Rotax. Many can beat Rotax's price, but that's not the same as being a better value.

I will say, it looked beautifully made, and if they're still showing up at aviation trade shows two years later, they've already outlasted many other would-be Rotax competitors.