SparrowHawk embryo

The FAR,s say the "N" number should be 6 inches tall.

I believe for an experimental or maybe it's for rotorcraft only. They only have to be 4" tall.

Tom Milton (DAR) did the airworthiness on my gyro and said that was all I needed.

I don't have the Far's in front of me right now. But It probably reads for "Aircraft" not Rotorcraft.

Chuck: I was always under the impression they had to be at least 3 inches tall on an experimental. Mine are three and I ordered them from a place that does these all the time.

Stan, your right, my bad. Didn't engage mind before keyboard.....

Very nice Stan, Only wish mine was going together as fast. Will be traveling back to the North Island at the end of January to help the dealer here who is doing the build. So far have had three trips there for a couple of weeks at a time. Very expensive.
Look forward too reading of your maiden flight.
Colin

Stan,
You can always become a SparrowHawk builder assist site and help others build their gyros.

StanFoster said:
..it felt like the project was going backwards
Stan

I understand the feeling Stan. With Firebird, I had it looking like it could almost fly in a week, and them I had to remove a lot of stuff to fine tune other parts!!!!:eek:

Some weeks it looks like I have done a days work,:eek::mad: and some days it looks like I have done a weeks work!!!!!:D

Stan, one day down the track, I would love for us to fly side by side.

Aussie Paul. :)

Attachments

• windscreen in place.jpg
    windscreen in place.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • pre drilled and routed cluster plate.jpg
    pre drilled and routed cluster plate.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aussie Hawk

Aussie Hawk

Whats takin Yall so long to get it built,, and the trim is simple, why are yall being so hard on yourselves..

Just put an elctric window actuator motor on it and be done.. Gracious..
This is 8 days of work from the kit!
PS: If you think I'm lying check with Groen Bros when the kit and I arrived.
Steve

Attachments

• sparrowhawk.GIF
    sparrowhawk.GIF
    13.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Steve: Amazing progress down under. Here is my SparrowHawk after 8 days...You are blowing me away. :eek: I did have to shut down and build stairways each day.... so I could also buy groceries...:) I dont know how you are doing it. :) What do you think...about 200 hours when you are done? Again.....I cant imagine the progress you have made on that. Way to go. :)

Stan

Attachments

• 1a1a1sph.JPG
    1a1a1sph.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Steve McGowan said:
Whats takin Yall so long to get it built,, and the trim is simple, why are yall being so hard on yourselves..

Just put an elctric window actuator motor on it and be done.. Gracious..
This is 8 days of work from the kit!
PS: If you think I'm lying check with Groen Bros when the kit and I arrived.
Steve

Its kind of like doing drum brakes on a car. The first side takes an hour. The other side is about 10 min.

Anyone running heater hoses through the SparrowHawk cabin may want to consider my little modification.

They supplied some plastic elbows that go through the back cabin wall. I did not like this as the hose barb protruding out the back isnt very much...plus even though I had as small a hole as possible in the cabin wall...the fitting still was sloppy as you could wiggle it. I could see the hose flying off some day and possibly gettin scalded . The hose clamp on the outside was just catching the barb.

I went and put a longer brass barb fitted to a brass elbow on the inside of the cabin. I ground some washers to fit so that these could be tightened up on the cabin wall itself. It is much more secure ....

Stan

Attachments

• 1a1a1a1elbow.JPG
    1a1a1a1elbow.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
StanFoster said:
Anyone running heater hoses through the SparrowHawk cabin may want to consider my little modification.

They supplied some plastic elbows that go through the back cabin wall. I did not like this as the hose barb protruding out the back isnt very much...plus even though I had as small a hole as possible in the cabin wall...the fitting still was sloppy as you could wiggle it. I could see the hose flying off some day and possibly gettin scalded . The hose clamp on the outside was just catching the barb.

I went and put a longer brass barb fitted to a brass elbow on the inside of the cabin. I ground some washers to fit so that these could be tightened up on the cabin wall itself. It is much more secure ....

Stan

Stan, I took the liberty of lightening your pic.

Aussie Paul.:)

Attachments

• 1a1a1a1elbow.JPG
    1a1a1a1elbow.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 2
Stan, good looking machine. I hope you enjoy it for a really long time! It may be a while before I get a chance to see it up close!

I have the heater all hooked up now...the fuel tanks are ready for their leak test...cyclic is all adjusted and awaiting the electric trim motors....

Just kind of taking a breather for a few days while I get some stairs out of my shop. The SparrowHawk wants her stall back.:)

I think by the end of Febuary...I wont have a lot left to do on it. I have been real impressed with the support I get from GBA as far as technical questions....plus....they take notes from us guys in the field and the SparrowHawk will slowly evolve with updates and improvements like any good product should.

Took some more pictures as there are a few things added to it for the ones that are looking closely.

Stan

Attachments

• 1a1a1a1ca.JPG
    1a1a1a1ca.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1a1a1a1cb.JPG
    1a1a1a1cb.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1a1a1a1cc.JPG
    1a1a1a1cc.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1a1a1a1cd.JPG
    1a1a1a1cd.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1a1a1a1ce.JPG
    1a1a1a1ce.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 1a1a1a1cf.JPG
    1a1a1a1cf.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1a1a1a1cg.JPG
    1a1a1a1cg.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
StanFoster said:
I have the heater all hooked up now...the fuel tanks are ready for their leak test...cyclic is all adjusted and awaiting the electric trim motors....

I missed what you determined for electric trim.

Stan,

I really like the red over white. Good looking scheme. Gyros really give an individual scope for a little individuality, decoration-wise.

Paul,

So there really *is* a firebird. You know you haven't updated your website since, I dunno, I think when Australia was being populated by "transportation." It looks more RAF-like in the cabin, but definitely wider than an RAF. I assume that piece you show is a side of the drop keel with the forward bit on the left.

cheers

-=K=-

Stan maybe it is just me, and I am sure it looks better in person, but the tail just looks weird with the white top and bottom. It seems like it needs at least a thin red stripe across the very top and very bottom..... Otherwise it looks SWEET!

Could you push it out of the shop and take a few pictures? Maybe the white tipped tail will look better against blue sky instead of the white walls in the stair shop.....

I wasn't dogging out the paintjob Stanny!!!! It just looks weird in the shop with the white walls! Roll it in front of the Stans Shunkworks Blue tarp and take me a picture. I want to see what it looks like then. :)

Now I will give you a hard time for not taking 5 minutes to peel the labels off the tires! That is pure laziness!!! ;)

Last edited: