Blade Guards For Sale

David Bliss

When in NC, my gyro is in a open hanger. The birds and buggs keep droping stuff on my blades so, I have purchased a roll of 6mil x 10" wide flat tubing and have heat sealed the ends and have Bagged My Blades.

You can purchase your very own Blade Guards and use them either like in the pix or as a liner, if you choose to install them inside your cloth guards.

I will sell the Blade Guards at $.30 per foot plus $5.00 for cutting and sealing, per each Blade Guard. If you are interested please email me at: [email protected] and specify how long you want them to be and how many. As you may tell, this is not a money maker, just a service to us gyro junkies.

Attachments

• BladeGuard.jpg
    BladeGuard.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
B.guards

B.guards

Hi Davids,
This was tried in the uk and found to be unsuitable greenhouse effect in summer + condensation issues,
The guy finished up making the covers out of this thin ground sheet material and putting eyelets along the bottom to stop the wetness! (GOOD IDEA)

G,

LAA. PRA. BRA...........:plane:

David, so what is that about 8 bucks and change for each blade on 23 footers?
I'd be interested in a set since it seems that birds like to poop on stuff that sits. :)

I sent you an email for me a set too

in response to the observations and suggestions:

i my case, the gyro is in a hanger w/o a door but the blades are well shadowed by the front wall. it has been very humid here w/ cool nights. i have not detected any condensation in the bags, to date.

these covers are made from a 6mil tube. the owner can slice, dice, punch holes, what ever floats their boat, if they feel these modifications will improove the protection offered by this product. any additional "value added processing" will increase the price of this product. if you want additional features (eg: velcro dots to secure the blade guard set at the center over the rotor head) let's talk.

i tested krylon fusion paint on a section of this material. it seems to stick fine and not crack or peel when the plastic is rolled/folded. Painted white or silver, this proceedure might be a solution to "the sitting in the sun" issues mentioned.

i am open to and interested in your suggestions and observations.

blade covers

blade covers

Hi David,

Thanks for the email!
With regards to the blade covers i think it is a brilliant idea as i have seen how they work ..and they do work! they Keep off all the SH.:tape:te
i was not knocking the covers just trying to help with the things i saw ! if i could get the blades covered and the head with weep holes.. i for one would have a set off you and even go as far as to say i would probbly get you some orders for these..depending on a price!! dont forget i am in the UK! Also you may not have problems as bad as we do here with condensation we have more than our fair share of rain!!so you may be O.K over there!

Regards G.

LAA. PRA. BRA.............:rapture:

David,

Your blade guards are great. I put mine to the test as my blades stick out past my sheds top. I leave my blades assembled on the ladder rack on my trailer and keep the blades in the covers to keep the birds, cats, dust rain and pollen off.

So far these have worked great for 4 month. Easy to get on and off. I have not had any problems with condensation in mine. One time i had some water in one of the covers at the tips but that evaporated out within a few days and i have not had any more issues with it. A coat of turtle wax on the blades makes the covers slide on and off real nicely! The covers stay on well going down the road at 60mph with a straps on each blade tip.

Thanks!

R U going to Bensen Days?

David have sent email.

Update:
My gyro is stored under a open hangar so the blades do see a bit of sun each day.

My blade guards are falling apart. The UV light has made the plastic brittle and it just splits very easy. I can run my finger down parts of the plastic and it tears with ease.

I think a set made out of black plastic would hold up in the sunlight better than the clear.

These blade guards worked very well and I did not have any issues with moisture buildup.

For those who keep your Gyro inside. I bought a set several months ago and they are as pliable today as they were the day I got them. I have a dehumidifier in the garage so I don't have the moisture problem either. For keeping the dust off my blades and using them to drive 4 miles to the airport they have served me well.

Just to add to the 'blade guard' issue...............

I've been using the stuff sold by Lowe's and Home Depot that is intended as a 'sleeve' for 4" perforated drain pipe. It's 'elastic' enough for the DW blades and it 'breathes', so probably not all that great for runny bird poop.
But it's really easy to slip on/off and protects the blades from dust and hangar dirt. It gets 'wet' in the hangar from the high humidity but the blade 'covers' always seem dry and there's no sign of 'printing' from the material on the blades.
I find it the perfect solution for keeping the blades clean........

Trez

You learn something new on the forum every day. Down here in the Keys I am having the problem not with birds but Iguanas, They are everywhere, does anyone have a pellet gun that I can borrow?I gave my gun to Jake. I'm going to try Home Depot first.
Thanks again for the informative post.

David's listing info did not rate this product for extended out side use and did note the paint modification. I chose to try it as is and only the tips seem to be the areas with the most problems since they are exposed to more direct sunlight.

I used aluminum tape to patch the bad spots and it seems to be holding up fine.

Now I have my gyro in a closed hangar so these guards will probably last longer now.