Mentone, I may not make it

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
Got a bad compression check last Wednesday and need to rebuild my engine. Not sure at this time if Mentone will be possible. Just letting everyone know this may take some time.

I hope you get fixed.

Let us know if we can help in some way.

Chris- You are one of the main CFI's at Mentone. It wont be the same without you there. I enjoy watching your methodical ways with your students. I am sure you take extra care and time with your rebuilds as well. Mentone is exactly one month away, and maybe with enough encouragement from many here, you will find extra hours in the days ahead to get er done! Good luck and I have a feeling you I will be seeing that excellent instructor in that orange jumpsuit flying at Mentone next month! Stan

Chris,don't worry,I won't be there to scare ya this time.. :) go ahead and get your engine fixed.

I did enjoy the flight while at altitude,but I am sure my wild approuch made several run..lol

Just the beginning. I will be searching for a short or long block at the least. One burnt piston. Block may be salvageable. Water in the fuel at one time maybe. Valves need reworked as well. I want to install a gascolator. This will take time for sure. What a downer.!!

Attachments

• Overhaul 2009 011.jpg
    Overhaul 2009 011.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Overhaul 2009 008.jpg
    Overhaul 2009 008.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Isn't that just a Honda Civic engine more or less? Anything special done to the internals for CAM duty? If not, why not just pick up a rebuilt shortblock and swap out engines. Should be a relatively cheap and easy job

Yes Ron, more or less. As we dig further, found the #2 piston in bad shape, top ring nearly all gone?, will replace. #4 top ring broken into three pieces but in place, piston in good shape. Most everything else in good shape, very little wear. Some questionable valve seats, valve job. Hopefully it will be repairable with my cousin's experience of more than 50 years in auto service, and lots of TLC.

Attachments

• #2 Piston 7-09 001.jpg
    #2 Piston 7-09 001.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0
  • #2 Piston 7-09 002.jpg
    #2 Piston 7-09 002.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi Chris,

Curious, what's the total weight of your CAM engine with reduction, prop, cooling system and coolant? Prop Diameter? HP at the prop? Static thrust?

Thanks,

Wayne

Yes Ron, more or less. As we dig further, found the #2 piston in bad shape, top ring nearly all gone?, will replace. #4 top ring broken into three pieces but in place, piston in good shape. Most everything else in good shape, very little wear. Some questionable valve seats, valve job. Hopefully it will be repairable with my cousin's experience of more than 50 years in auto service, and lots of TLC.

Well the bright side is you ain't BSing around about getting the fix underway. I don't see why you won't be able to get er done in time for Mentone. Amazing that engine was still running.

That looks like the same engine I have in my CRX, 280,000 miles, still purrs like a kitten, a kitten with something stuck in it's throat, but still kicking. :)
That is the CVCC engine right? what carb is it running?
reason I ask is because of the 3 rd barrel port on the intake, I just replaced my carb spacer and what a pain, that thing has about 250 ft of vacuum lines wonder how it was converted.

Taking it apart is relatively easy. Now getting it back together correctly and fixed, a whole new game. No, not the CVCC but a twelve valve engine with about 100,000 miles in air miles. It has a special intake (no vacuum lines) and I am using two Mikuni carbs. Found water in the first carb's (fuel line in series) accelerator pump housing. I am acquiring a gascolator and it will be installed. No more auto gas and "Mr Funnel" goes on all cross-countries from now on. I think I got a bad batch of aviation once.

Last edited:
Hello Chris,

I hope you can make it with or without your aircraft.

Making it to Mentone with your aircraft is a rather nicely crafted challenge.

You are one of my favorite parts of the Mentone experience.

I learn so much from you.

Thank you, Vance

Instructors learn from their students

Instructors learn from their students

I took my fuses out like you said Vance, they are in excellent shape but you made me take a look. I thought it was rather interesting when the big deal over wire bundling came up and you had taught me about the proper spacing and tie down. Then they grounded all the "big" boys (737's etc) that didn't have that spec. Maybe we can talk more on mufflers in person. You teach me as much as I help you. Thanks. It's a pleasure.

With the site off and on. I missed this!

This sucks, so much!!!

I really hope you can make it Chris!!!

Preaching about fuel

Preaching about fuel

Chris,

I have been a pain in the ass here preaching about water and contaminates in the fuel for a long time. You need to get a small raycor fuel gas / water separator. for 50 bucks you have your engine covered.

For the cost of your rebuild you might be able to go to the honda dealer and get a long block on the cheap. New in the crate !!!

By the time you add up your machine shop, parts and time it is not worth it.

Honda engines are all over the place.

Good luck.

J

Taking it apart is relatively easy. Now getting it back together correctly and fixed, a whole new game. Yes, CVCC with about 100,000 miles in air miles. It has a special intake (no vacuum lines) and I am using two Mikuni carbs. Found water in the first carb's (fuel line in series) accelerator pump housing. I am acquiring a gascolator and it will be installed. No more auto gas and "Mr Funnel" goes on all cross-countries from now on. I think I got a bad batch of aviation once.

Not "just" a Honda engine

Not "just" a Honda engine

automan1223 - This one is a little "different", set up for higher compression. The pistons are different than stock. Are also .020 oversized. Of course I could settle for a little less hp but we will put this one back as was, hopefully better.!!! I know you are right about the fuel.

I just installed a gascolator on the dominator, I want to keep this arctic cat engine together this time.