RAF Specific; Training & Flying Experiences.

With the engin cold set the belt tension to 1.5 belt tickness @ 70 degrees. I am still useing the original bearings they have about 875 hrs on them.

Mark,

Can you describe the fuel sight gauge you installed?

Thanks,

Tommy

Thanks, Tony and Steve.

Tony, the head does shake a little, I'm still flying the old RAF blades, and didn't want to spend a lot of time dialing them in. As soon as I can get some strong help, I'm going to mount the new blades. Didn't want to put them on until I was confident with my blade management abilities. That point has finally arrived.

Steve, thanks! Gary said it looked like I was tensioning the belt too tight. His racing engines used to use the same type of belt, and Gary said if it was too tight it would actually wear the teeth off the sprockets! Also, found the builder's manual today, and it recommends 1 belt width of slack, so you're in the right ball park, too.

Tommy,

It's a 1/4" yellow fuel line that I bought at NAPA.

I have separate shutoffs on each side of the seat tank, and I teed into the line after the shutoff on the left side. I used one of the inserts in the front of the seat to hold it, then snaked it up the left side of the seat, using velcro to hold it in place.

I've ordered a tee shutoff valve from CPS. When it arrives, it will vent thru a small hole in the cabin just above my shoulder. I'll fly with it closed, and just open it occasionally to check the level.

I use my right side fuel pump as primary, the left is my back up.

One note: when I checked the fuel level this morning, it looked like I had lost 6 gallons over the week since I marked the gallon levels!:( Not sure why, but the fuel draws down in the line over time. As soon as I opened the vent valve, my missing gas suddenly re-appeared. :DWasted several minutes checking all the fittings and lines for a leak before I decided to open the vent. Just remember that if you do the same thing.

Mark and other sight tube users. I bought a Fuel floatee from Bear Perkins to slide in the sight tube. It works great. It floats in the fuel and allows you to easily see the fuel level. http://www.thc-jp.net/accessories.htm Scroll down the page, they're right under the black fuel line clamps.

Attachments

• fuel float.jpg
    fuel float.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 1
Second, I have been running the prop belt extremely tight, should I lessen the tautness on it slightly? I'm thinking that the tension may have contributed to the wallering of the bearing seat.

How tight do most of you run your prop belt?

If you ever need to replace that redrive bearing you may need a hydraulic arbor press to remove it, after using locktite on it?! ;) Then again...maybe not.

One other thing one may use when tensioning the drive belt, is to eliminate any backlash in the threads when tightening that big bolt:

First loosen all four bolts and rotate the cam so the belt is loose. Position the belt so's you have the redrive sprocket material showing on either side of the belt.

With the three small bolts and the big one loose, position one blade, level at the 3 o'clock position. Hang about a 15 lb. weight on the tip end of the blade...two gal. of water in a pail will do nicely.

Rotate the cam to tension the belt 1 to 1 1/2 times the belt thickness. Personal preference commands here. I personally use one belt thickness.

Torque the big bolt and recheck the belt tension. Retain the blade tip weight and torque the three small bollts in rotation. Recheck the tension. Remove the weight and verify belt tension.

If after flying, the belt has wandered fwd. and is showing no upper sprocket material fwd. of the belt, it surely is rubbing the plate fwd. of the lower drive sprocket. I've found a fix to eliminate that condition.

Addendum...Any RAF owners that have the belt rubbing at the crank sprocket can e-mail me for a possible fix.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
If you ever need to replace that redrive bearing you may need a hydraulic arbor press to remove it, after using locktite on it?! ;) Then again...maybe not.

If after flying, the belt has wandered fwd. and is showing no upper sprocket material fwd. of the belt, it surely is rubbing the plate fwd. of the lower drive sprocket. I've found a fix to eliminate that condition.

So kindly tell us what's the fix for the belt rubbing Harry?

Harry,

We discussed the possibility of having to press the bearing out, but, as Gary said, It's no good to you the way it is now. Locktiting it in may be the last time I have to deal with it, if in fact, belt tension was contributing to the problem.

Thanks for the tightening procedure you use. I may give it a shot when I return to the hangar.

One other thing one may use when tensioning the drive belt, is to eliminate any backlash in the threads when tightening that big bolt:

First loosen all four bolts and rotate the cam so the belt is loose. Position the belt so's you have the redrive sprocket material showing on either side of the belt.

With the three small bolts and the big one loose, position one blade, level at the 3 o'clock position. Hang about a 15 lb. weight on the tip end of the blade...two gal. of water in a pail will do nicely.

Rotate the cam to tension the belt 1 to 1 1/2 times the belt thickness. Personal preference commands here. I personally use one belt thickness.

Torque the big bolt and recheck the belt tension. Retain the blade tip weight and torque the three small bollts in rotation. Recheck the tension. Remove the weight and verify belt tension.

Addendum...Any RAF owners that have the belt rubbing at the crank sprocket can e-mail me for a possible fix.

Great advise for us newbies

Well, that's hard to beat...Duane being your mentor and all, except, that's a long ways from Battle Creek, isn't it?! ;)

Well, that's hard to beat...Duane being your mentor and all, except, that's a long ways from Battle Creek, isn't it?! ;)

Depending on which way 120 short route but longest drive time, to 150 miles fastest route and is 84.2 miles by air each way. So when I go it is a day trip, but well worth it for the advice. I want this done right.

Went flying tonight. It was a good night for it, winds were at 10 right down the runway. Lots of combines stirring up the dust, and now I can strafe the ground for 4-5 miles at a crack, without worrying about crops in the way!

Harry, used your tightening procedure last week, with the proper slack in the belt, an annoying vibration I could feel in my ears, related to engine speed, is now gone!

Flew around for about 40 minutes, then practiced touch and goes. It was an interesting experience, as the winds went from 10mph to nothing over the 7 landings. It gave me a good comparison of the glideslope changes as the wind died down.

Several bonuses to flying this time of year: my rate of climb is phenomenal, compared to two weeks ago. The air settles down earlier now, and the friggin' bugs are almost gone! Instead of a 15-minute blade/prop cleanup, it's less than 5 now.

Getting a lot more comfortable with my takeoffs and landings now. The next step is to try flying with one(just one!) of the doors on again. Last time I tried that, my seat cover almost became another color!

Mark,

As it gets cooler here, I'm thinking about putting my doors on. I've never flown with them on and I hear it can be squirrley.

Do you have a HS on ou RAF?

Tommy

Don't reckon you'll have a problem flyin' with the doors on, Tommy.

If you don't have a stab or one without winglets, you may have to dance a little on the pedals to keep her headin' straight ahead. No biggee, just fly 'er. ;)

Or...no doors; just wear a jacket and gloves.

Bundling up works for me but the few others that like to fly with me want doors, heat, etc.

And, my HS has both winglets and a keel extension. I'm going to put 'em on next trip to the field.

Tommy

Bundling up works for me but the few others that like to fly with me want doors, heat, etc.

And, my HS has both winglets and a keel extension. I'm going to put 'em on next trip to the field.

Tommy

Put 'em on Tommy and fly. So much fun ahead. :noidea:

StanFoster

StanFoster

Tommy- You will hardly notice adding one door or two. I flew cross country with only the passenger door on many times, even in the summer. You can fly till it gets real cold out. Stan